TTE Kitted '03 Toyota Corolla T Sport

Rich

Yup they are a pain in the rear! With squeeling make sure you use some copper grease or anti-squeel grease. Lube up the slides nice and I put copper grease on the backside of the pad too, not sure if you are supposed to do that or not though.

Sticking calipers are not fun.

I always use plenty of copper grease and have no squeeling. The car didn't have any shims when I bought it so decided to get some!

I'm ordering the calipers when I'm back from holiday and then get it all sorted. Never had a car with so many brake issues!

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, stripped down, cleaned and all new seals, piston and bleed nipple fitted. They also said I will get new slider boots with the calipers. I also ordered some shims that fit onto the piston from Toyota, which arrived while I was away so they can go on. Hopefully the car won't need anymore money spent on it after this apart from insurance next month!!

It also seems to be using more fuel than I think it should be, even though the mpg isn't great on these cars to start with. If I can't get it to improve by next year I think the car will have to go. I'm going to get some use out of it first but I'm avoiding doing long journeys in it cos of how much it uses! I do still have my winter tyres on but they shouldn't make that much difference? There are no CEL lights on either but if the car was overfuelling would I get any lights?

I'm also thinking of selling the 17s I bought now and either not getting winter tyres for my car when they need replacing or just get another set of the OEM wheels with some summer tyres on.

Not sure, the T Sport only came with alloys. I think the other Corolla's come with 15's, they might be too small though? I'll have a look into it.

You don't have to stick with what the car came with. Find out the bolt pattern and there is probably a steely made in the wheel size you want =) It's pretty common to see people in Wisconsin run steelies for winter.

Nice to see you have the callipers sorted. Would it be easier to paint the callipers while they are off the car?

Not sure, the T Sport only came with alloys. I think the other Corolla's come with 15's, they might be too small though? I'll have a look into it.

You don't have to stick with what the car came with. Find out the bolt pattern and there is probably a steely made in the wheel size you want =) It's pretty common to see people in Wisconsin run steelies for winter.

Nice to see you have the callipers sorted. Would it be easier to paint the callipers while they are off the car?

You also have the offset and centre bore to consider though. The ones on the Corolla Verso would probably be ideal but they're 5 stud, mine is 4. TBH a set of OEM alloys are cheap enough, I've seen them go for well under £100 but I've got until next year to think about it now. I might just keep the 17's and fit those next summer. Another reason I might stick with a smaller size is cheaper tyres and the ride is more comfortable.

I did think about painting the calipers but if there is a problem with the initial fitting and I need to send them back I don't want them saying they won't take them cos they've been painted.

Calipers arrived, they look good and will be easy to paint, just need a wipe over with some degreaser first. They only put one boot kit in though so I've emailed them asking to send the other, hopefully it will get here before Monday. They also didn't come with new shims so good job I bought them from Mr T.

Edit - Just had an email back (they're quick!) and they are posting another boot kit today :)

Got my calipers, shims, brake fluid, gear oil and a couple of replacement wheel studs. I'm assuming the calipers have been sprayed silver? It seems a shame to paint over them but I'm thinking of keeping them that colour now or maybe change to black. What do you guys think, change the colour or stick with red? I need to paint the disc centres now as they're rusty, which I'll do in black.

new_parts.jpg

calipers_01.jpg

I'm hoping that when the calipers are fitted my MPG will improve cos if they're still binding slightly that will effect it, although I'm not sure how much? I'm only getting around 22mpg ATM, around town it should be at least high 20's going from what other owners get.

Looking good! I don't think they are painted, looks like they have just been acid stripped or just cast.

Your MPG depends on how much inner city driving you are doing compared to them. In the city low 20's is to be expected. On the highway though if you are getting that I doubt it's just the brakes dragging to get that MPG. If they were dragging that bad you wouldn't have had brakes at all I would think. Double check your air pressures, run some injector cleaner and double check your air filter. Maybe get a K&N dry filter, they help with MPG, less restriction on either end of the engine will improve MPG. Check your plug gaps against what they should be, check their condition too. Oil topped up, fresh, to OEM spec?

That's a good start to improve MPG =) The best way is your right foot though. :axehead:

So it's clean! Doesn't matter if it's raining, it doesn't clean the dirt off. Main reason was to do the wheels though so I can keep an eye on the brake dust once the new calipers are on...see you in an hour :D

Calipers fitted (looks very odd being silver and red!!) and wow the car is much better. In the lower rev range it is pulling stronger now, I can't believe one sticky caliper was holding it back that much. The pedal is abit soft ATM (Tony said it would) and I need to take it easy for abit...any ideas when it will firm up?

With the gearbox oil changed it is shifting alot smoother now, feels like a new car! I just need to replace the rubber link bushes with the copper ones I got, which should firm it up nicely.

Looking good! I don't think they are painted, looks like they have just been acid stripped or just cast.

Your MPG depends on how much inner city driving you are doing compared to them. In the city low 20's is to be expected. On the highway though if you are getting that I doubt it's just the brakes dragging to get that MPG. If they were dragging that bad you wouldn't have had brakes at all I would think. Double check your air pressures, run some injector cleaner and double check your air filter. Maybe get a K&N dry filter, they help with MPG, less restriction on either end of the engine will improve MPG. Check your plug gaps against what they should be, check their condition too. Oil topped up, fresh, to OEM spec?

That's a good start to improve MPG =) The best way is your right foot though. :axehead:

Sorry, missed this.

I have 1/4 tank left so when I fill up again it will be interesting to see how many miles I get with the new calipers fitted. The tyre pressures I check regularly and I ran some V Power through it a while ago, which should be the same as putting a cleaner in. Plugs are new, they were replaced a couple of months ago with Denso IK22 ones. The only thing I haven't done yet is replace the filter but I have cleaned it out. I didn't want to get a replacement as was deciding whether to get an induction kit or panel filter, I'm now going with a Blitz replacement filter. Would a dirty filter really make that much difference though?

On long journeys the majority of owners claim 30 mpg plus but I've yet to hit 30, the most I've had is about 28 mpg! I've had issues with the brakes since getting the car though so it could be it's contributing alot to it, especially with the difference it's made already just driving the car normally.

An engine is basically a pump. If either end of the pump is restricted it will not be able to pull as much air, or escape as much waste as it normally would, which makes the engine work harder.

V power is not the same as real fuel system cleaner. I gained nearly 2mpg just by changing out my air filter.. as long as I keep my foot out of it. Each engine is different, but you should see an improvement.

Sounds like you have most the bases covered =)