Honda Civic 1.6. SE Executive Auto

Rich

• 1 month later...

Got the MOT on Saturday so finally fixed the rocking drivers seat this afternoon, one of those jobs I've been putting off! Undo 4 nuts, add a washer on each bolt, do nuts back up, took me half an hour! :lol:

I think it'll pass, I can't see anything it might fail on.

We were in a Honda dealer earlier and the missus was eyeing up the new Civic Tourer, was priced at £23k. Maybe in a few years time!

I used a few places around here when I first moved to the area and wasn't happy with any of them so just get it done when I see family now. Plus it's a friendly MOT place, they don't find faults that aren't actually there or moan about what mods you've got! Although that doesn't apply to the Civic.

• 1 month later...

Since we got the car the headunit has been in the hole that was left after removing the standard unit and looked untidy as it sat inside the dash!

I finally got around to buying an autoleads fascia and fitted it yesterday. The quality is shocking, it's supposed to be a direct replacement but it didn't fit and where I tried to push it in it's scratched the edges of the dash. So the dremel came out and I had to sand the corners and part of the straight edges. There is a little gap in a couple of areas but it looks much nicer now it's more of a flush fit.

I was actually supposed to be changing the HU for another one but I need a radio adapter so waiting for that to come then I can swap it over.

I don't have a before but it looked like this:

06122008083.jpg

WP_20150917_17_28_54_Pro.jpg

WP_20150917_17_28_37_Pro.jpg

It was the right shape overall, just seemed abit warped and slightly too big so it wouldn't fit it in. It doesn't need to be a tight fit anyway cos there are 4 screws holding it in as well. The radio adapter arrived when we were away so I can swap the headunits over now and hopefully the missus can start using her ipod in the car.

I think Wozza would've taken more care when doing it and made a neatier job of it ;) I saw a negative review from another seller for the same fascia and they said it didn't fit and damaged the dash trying to. Maybe a batch of dodgy ones had been made that are slightly the wrong shape.

Anyway, I fitted the other headunit and tried a USB stick with it, which worked fine. Plugged the ipod in using a USB cable and it wouldn't detect it, looks like I need a dedicated cable to plug into the rear of the unit! Why is nothing ever simple!  :rolleyes:

Some USB cables only supply power to the phone. Try the original apple USB cable first before removing it all again

It was the Apple USB cable that I used but I downloaded the manual and I need one of these - http://www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/ipod-cables682/kce-433iv

Had a look on ebay and it seems there are alot of cheap fakes out there, a genuine one will be around £20! Could buy a few USB sticks for that!

• 4 weeks later...

Guess what I've been doing today - sorting out the binding rear brakes! What is it with our cars and brakes! Although to be fair the Civic has been fine for quite a while.

Yesterday the missus noticed a smell from the OSR and I found the pads were seized in the carrier. I cleaned them up (I had already filed the paint off when I fitted them) and gave the carrier a good scrub with a file. I think this was the main culprit, rust had formed under the clips wedging the pads in. The piston was working fine.

I decided to do the other side too and the pads were the same but they hadn't been causing a smell.

Been for a drive and did some heavy braking as well as an emergency stop and they fell alot better. The car also doesn't feel like it's holding back now.

The only thing is when I got home the smell was still there. Could it take a while to come off the pads or could it be where I was braking hard?

I got an ipod cable for the headunit, bought a new genuine one someone was selling on ebay for a tenner. Works perfectly.

Got a coolant leak to sort now, looks like the bottom rad hose where it joins the thermostat housing.

So all three have brake and water issues :o

Yep! Hence why I'm getting annoyed with it now!  :banghead:

The Civic isn't too bad with the brakes, they just needed a good clean and hopefully that's it now.

The MX5 is ok after I cleaned those and they passed the MOT.

The Accord I've still got to find this smell but I don't think it's the brakes themselves but more like something is rubbing.

The Civic and Accord have had coolant leaks for a long time but I've not been able to trace them. The Civic is obvious now it's getting worse. The MX5 I'll look at next year, it seems a pipe is common for corroding so it could be that.