This is why i don't fly

Tony

Looks like they had it under control IMO given the size they are. You do know you have more chance of getting killed in a car accident than flying. It's one of the safest methods of transport you can get.

My Dad said he would never fly until about 8 years ago when he got on a plane and decided it was actually alright! Something I have noticed is that those who say they won't fly have never been on a plane so I can't see how an opinion can be formed on something they've never done!! :huh:

That looked pretty scary and a wise decision for the pilot not to try and land that time.

I understand the point that while planes are less likely to crash, if a crash does occur it is generally catastrophic, but I wouldn't let the minimal risk of it occuring stop you from flying at all.

Ahh the old risk evaluation factor..... Without droning on statistically the number of car miles travelled -V- deaths is high by comparison in the car but the statistic occupant is one.

Statistic risk in flight -V- miles travelled is much lower but the occupant can be as high as 550.

Another factor that scares me about flying is control... In a car i decide where i drive, in what weather and at what speed.... "Captain speaking" makes all the choices no matter what i feel.

Have you actually been in a plane though?!!

Nope, and that's why i'm still alive.... As i understand Air crash investigation is on series five at the moment...... Still what could positionally do wrong.

Hitting the ground at 300 mph in a tin box is as i understand things not good for future planning B)

Yet you're willing to do silly speeds in your car (tin box), which gives a higher risk of death or worse life changing injuries! At least in a plane crash it's quick and painless and very unlikely to involve you. Given all the near misses you've had in the Lotus (and bike) I think that proves a point that the roads are more dangerous! B)

that pilot is very talanted. thats one heck of a crosswind and bringing the plane in sideways is very difficult!

a little section from a US document looking in to car deaths v plane deaths shows that it really is safer to fly B)

In the US, each year there are about 40,000 deaths per year in automobile

accidents vs. about 200 in air transport.

If we ignore property and bodily damage and focus on fatalities only, we

should look at fatality rates per passenger mile traveled. This require some

research. You can go to the National Transportation Safety board website

(http://www.itsasafety.org) to do some research or look at a summary table

here (http://hazmat.dot.gov/riskcompare.htm). According to the latter, each

year in the US 1 out of 6800 drivers dies in an auto accident. The rate for

airline passengers is 1 in 1.6 million.

you only hear about plane crashes or incidents due to the fact they are quite rare...

We dont hear about fatal road accidents each day because they are so 'common'.

how about this landing then ;)

Sod that.......

Landings could be described as controlled crashes anyway, and a good one is any you walk away from :lol: Here's my favourite of all time, even the controlled crash in the Hudson river couldn't equal it. http://www.wadenelson.com/gimli.html

Landings could be described as controlled crashes anyway, and a good one is any you walk away from :lol: Here's my favourite of all time, even the controlled crash in the Hudson river couldn't equal it. http://www.wadenelson.com/gimli.html

;) I'm sure that story will completely reassure Tony when he gets back from the saw-doctor!

With all the technology i dont see why planes aren't made of the same material as the flight recorder, they always seem to survive any inpact!! :D

I piloted a A380 into Hong Kong last year in Hail/Snow and at Night :whistle:

Did you leave your keys on the roof on the way out :D