The joy of Geometry

Tony

I was fortunate enough to have two "mint" well modified MR2's in today from the owners club..... Both looking for the "fast road set-up"

This SW20 the owner had just fitted coil-overs and done a superb job i must say... Three wheels were next to perfect the fourth was a little distressed... Nevertheless she calibrated perfectly

post-2-1186241968.jpg

This ;) just needed calibrating to fast road... It has some real odd front top-mount adjusters with a crazy fixed adjustment range.

I opted to use the factory camber adjusters which are more progressive... This enabled a 90% perfect calibration. Anyway a superb example of an MR2.

post-2-1186242362.jpg

post-2-1186242396.jpg

Many thanks to jon for his recommendations to wim... We won't let you down :huh:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been waiting for this post Tony :huh:

Did Leeroy go with my geometry recommendation or did you guys tweak it a bit?

He went for yours. I used the natural rear camber adjusters and got 14' within -2d.

The front was "pants".... Seemingly to adjust the top mounts you need to remove the entire coil-over and re-position the mounts upper platform?.... Well he wasn't booked in for this evolution so again i used the natural adjusters and got to -1d each side.

Toe rear = +.4mm ps

Front = +. 8mm ps

His aim to make the front wheels flush with the arches will need about -2d to -2.5d so we are talking massive over-steer and tyre wear problems here.

He is now in the position of "test and report". If the handling is not totally complementary we is going to fit the EZ cams and i will fine-tune the chassis after.

I have also warned Leeroy that -2 to -2.30 rear camber is heavy on the tyre wear... Tom's OSR has set at -2.55 for 500 miles and was down to the wire on the inside.

Saying that i am also prepared to set the chassis at -2 on the rear and calculate on the "third fine-tune" the life expectancy of the rear tyres.

In summary both cars achieved the desired calibration... Leeroys is a little light but his main problem was the front/rear toe measured at an initial -3.4mm and +5.7mm respectively.

Although i have much work to do tuning these chassis they were both a pleasure to set. So once again i do thank you jon for the recommendations since it had your name and indeed word on the outcome.

That's not bad without the camber adjuster bolts! Too bad about the fronts, at least if he feels something he doesn't like he can adjust it in his free tune up with camber bolts, what an excellent service!!

Interestingly as you know I run between -2 to -3 degrees of negative camber at the front and they've lasted about 4000 miles and 7 trackdays! Little bit worse for wear on the shoulders though...

That's not bad without the camber adjuster bolts! Too bad about the fronts, at least if he feels something he doesn't like he can adjust it in his free tune up with camber bolts, what an excellent service!!

Interestingly as you know I run between -2 to -3 degrees of negative camber at the front and they've lasted about 4000 miles and 7 trackdays! Little bit worse for wear on the shoulders though...

2 to 3 on the front is fine.. 2 to 3 on the rear is worrying (domestically) .... If i recall correctly you have -1d rear, low toe and minimum pneumatic saturation.

Sam@TDi was worried about this on the TDi meet.... He felt the rear was on ice. Personally i knew we spent a lot of time making your 2 over-steer in the progressive fashion it does.

On that note aren't you due for developments :huh:

On ice? I call it entertaining :)

I am due, waiting for the trackday rubber then we can throw some serious camber on!

"Serious camber"...... What are you like :thumbsup_anim:

Educating :D

1970 Dodge Challenger :o

post-2-1186768527.jpg

post-2-1186768583.jpg

post-2-1186768612.jpg

Lovingly restored and what a beast....... Oh my!

We had some issues with the longitudinal torsion bar. So an after calibration test drive was required :)

I had already dribbled over the powerhouse and wondered how fast Keith was going to fly during the test flight :o

post-2-1186769109.jpg

post-2-1186769145.jpg

............I nearly swallowed my tongue.... The torque was almost as amazing as the sound of the engine during what seemed endless acceleration. The up-graded brakes did a reasonable job slowing the 2 ton beast... In fact every now and then Keith managed to go around the round-a-bout <_< Most times it just ate them regardless.

Beautiful example but i did learn an important lesson with this one?...... Next time before a test drive it's recommended to have one or two stitches.....

In your arse to save embarrassment :)

Now that's an AWESOME car!!

Btw the way Tony, doing

makes the email the forum sends to let people know about the post stop early so you don't get the link to click through too <_<

• 2 weeks later...

Honda NSX.... Prepped and ready for the track.... Rightly so... :arrowhead:

post-2-1187704924.jpg

post-2-1187704957.jpg

post-2-1187704985.jpg

The owner who also owns UK's NSX forum http://nsxcb.co.uk/index.php?categoryid=1 says now that the brakes and chassis is dealt with, the next stage in his cars evolution is developing the engine.

post-2-1187705255.jpg

I have to agree with his attitude... Get it to stop correctly.... Get it to handle correctly, then get it to go faster.. :huh:

That NSX is beautiful, you really need to get him here Tony!

Still love the Dodge Challenger too.

Well he owns/runs the UK NSX forum so with luck if he approves the setup other NSX members will join wim. The car if off to Silverstone for an evening track session tonight so i'm expecting some feedback reasonably soon.

Shame the weather is so pants!!

Well he owns/runs the UK NSX forum so with luck if he approves the setup other NSX members will join wim. The car if off to Silverstone for an evening track session tonight so i'm expecting some feedback reasonably soon.

An NSX with engine developments in mind?.....

Thats right up our alley Tony, i hope you made a few recommendations...

An NSX with engine developments in mind?.....

Thats right up our alley Tony, i hope you made a few recommendations...

As soon as he said "engine" i was in there with Amo's car......He knows Amo and his car well ;)

That's the nismo v1 kit, I have that in my loft waiting for me to be able to afford it's fitting :) (not going with the spoiler though)

Was it someone off the 350zOC?

Yeah... A young chap called Robert. The kit looks even better in the flesh... Very nice...very nice indeed.

The cars problem was pneumatic. I warned him before coming to wim to move the front wheels around. He didn't. :huh: