The joy of Geometry

Tony

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow those are expensive tyres - I'm hating the way this is going, there are so many cars that I hope to be able to afford in the not too distant future, but they cost so much to run that I wouldn't be able to.

It's fair enough if a Ferrari is expensive to run, but a £50k Nissan shouldn't, and nor should many others........

Wow those are expensive tyres - I'm hating the way this is going, there are so many cars that I hope to be able to afford in the not too distant future, but they cost so much to run that I wouldn't be able to.

It's fair enough if a Ferrari is expensive to run, but a £50k Nissan shouldn't, and nor should many others........

i do agree, but alot of people forget that the GTR is a complete steal for 50K. it does keep up with the big boys... and to be able to do that you have to pay some dosh!

you cant have a performance car with the running costs of a family hatch

i do agree, but alot of people forget that the GTR is a complete steal for 50K. it does keep up with the big boys... and to be able to do that you have to pay some dosh!

True, but that's what I want :)

Seriously though I know what you're saying, but to use these cars normally on the road probably doesn't require such expensive tyres, nor carbon ceramic brakes or any of the other bits that are starting to make performance cars too expensive in terms of running costs........I'm pretty sure the recession will run these prices down over the next few years though, as otherwise these cars will depreciate in value even quicker than they already are.

True, but that's what I want :)

Seriously though I know what you're saying, but to use these cars normally on the road probably doesn't require such expensive tyres, nor carbon ceramic brakes or any of the other bits that are starting to make performance cars too expensive in terms of running costs........I'm pretty sure the recession will run these prices down over the next few years though, as otherwise these cars will depreciate in value even quicker than they already are.

yes, you are correct.. they dont need all those fancy bots for on road use.. but it will bite you in the backside one day when you dont use the proper stuff and you either need to brake or get out of a situation pronto and find you cant.

I find that with my car.. its only a honda accord 2.2 diesel but i still fit 'performance brake and tyres to the car mainly for safety 'just in case' i find my self in a situation where i need to swerve, brake hard etc, i can get out of it.

people who fit cheap 'budget' tyres to their car should be banned from the road.

people who fit cheap 'budget' tyres to their car should be banned from the road.

Why? Both of our cars have budgets, apart from my rears which are toyos. I was considering toyos for the pug but Tony talked me out of it. The car doesn't need performance tyres and you only notice the difference with budgets in the wet. In those conditions you should be driving more carefully anyway and increase your breaking distance so if you need to stop/swerve quickly you have the space to do so. It's the people who don't adjust their driving style in these conditions that are idiots and need banning from the road.

yes, you are correct.. they dont need all those fancy bots for on road use.. but it will bite you in the backside one day when you dont use the proper stuff and you either need to brake or get out of a situation pronto and find you cant.

I find that with my car.. its only a honda accord 2.2 diesel but i still fit 'performance brake and tyres to the car mainly for safety 'just in case' i find my self in a situation where i need to swerve, brake hard etc, i can get out of it.

I agree, when I changed my wheels I had the budgets that came with them on the car for a week or two and I couldn't believe the difference, they went straight off and replaced by the eagle F1s I have now. But I also believe that around £200 a corner will buy you the best tyres you're going to need on the road, shouldn't really need to spend more than that. Same with the brakes on my IS, they're the standard OEM parts, but they stop with plenty of power and I doubt I'd need any more than that (and I've had a few situations where they've been put to the test!)

And in fact I remember reading something about how carbon ceramic brakes are actually less effective when they haven't been worked hard and got up to temperature, I'm not sure whether that's true or not though?

Why? Both of our cars have budgets, apart from my rears which are toyos. I was considering toyos for the pug but Tony talked me out of it. The car doesn't need performance tyres and you only notice the difference with budgets in the wet. In those conditions you should be driving more carefully anyway and increase your breaking distance so if you need to stop/swerve quickly you have the space to do so. It's the people who don't adjust their driving style in these conditions that are idiots and need banning from the road.

i complealy agree with the fac that in the wet you need to change your driving style BUT... i have been though several budgets on a few cars i have owned at the thought of saving £30 per corner and the difference was huge.

im not saying you have to spend £200 a corner.. heck! i only spend £70 a corner of vred ultrac sessantas.

the lack of confidence a budget tyre gives the driver especially in the need of evasive action worries me. I have been on several advanced driving courses to improve my driving (not police ones) and every time they state the only thing between you and the road if your tyres, the next thing is your brakes.

That funny looking knob underneath the TVR's radio operates the doors. :D

Arh so thats how you open them, I remember on an episode of Top Gear, people couldnt get out

So just one knob for both doors? Bit annoying that you'd only be able to open one at a time then! Lovely interior though :D

• 2 weeks later...