Vauxhall Astra Diesel

The missus old man has a 1.3 CDTi Astra, which will not start. He reversed it up the driveway last week and left it in gear as it's on a slope. Next morning he turned the ignition on, dipped the clutch to take it out of gear and then everything went crazy. All the lights on the dash are flashing and so is the interior light. Car won't even turnover now...any ideas cos he needs it back on the road asap?

Just to add he charged the battery up overnight and was hoping that would reset the ECU, no difference. Checked all fuses and relays and they're all fine.

The battery is fine and all terminals were greased when refitting it. He only charged it up as noticed some of the lights had been on all night since this happened. The guy in Vauxhall said it sounds like the immobiliser module but how would taking it out of gear cause problems with that.

The forums were next on my list, thanks for the links, it does sound like that problem. Can't seem to find out what CIM stands for but at least I know there is a pedal test to get a fault code and try replacing the key fob battery.

Well I tried doing the pedal test but nothing was displaying on the dash, not even any lights and the car can't be locked either the whole thing seems to be dead. The place they bought it from gives a 10 year warranty and they've said they will cover labour and parts but not getting the car over there or the diagnosis. Any ideas on how we can get the car down to the shops so we can call the AA out to tow it, needs to be more than a 1/4 mile from home. Without the power steering the car is a bugger to steer, can't even turn the wheels!

cant you tow it yourself or get someone with home start?

One thing I hate is being towed and there's no way I am towing it myself, the garage it's going to is in Kings Langley.

Everyone has roadside or relay no homestart...although maybe upgrading it and then phoning would work? I've done that before when I only had roadside and I needed mine towed to the garage. Just had to wait 24 hours until they would do it.

CIM is Common Interface Module, but maybe in this case Common Immobiliser Module. I'd push it to the start of the hill, then take it down the hill about 2 mph to give you chance to turn the wheel or if it won't turn then stop. I guess brakes won't be too good either so it will be hand on handbrake job.

CIM is Common Interface Module, but maybe in this case Common Immobiliser Module. I'd push it to the start of the hill, then take it down the hill about 2 mph to give you chance to turn the wheel or if it won't turn then stop. I guess brakes won't be too good either so it will be hand on handbrake job.

Yes I think it's this that has packed up but from reading the posts on the forum it usually seems to be a gradual thing rather than just stop working altogether. I remember when I had to be towed when I was having startmotor problems and going 2 minutes up the road was nerve racking, brakes were pretty much not working and not something I wish to do often.

What about these tow bars you can get instead of using a rope, must be safer?

I would also ry leaving the battery disconnected for at least 3 hours and then re-connecting it, akin to re-booting the PC at home.

After that you could try the spare key or go through any remote control re-synchronisation.

Worth a try for nothing :lol:

Already tried all that mate and nothing works so I think it's this CIM module :)

One thing you could try to move it to get more brakes .... is have another vehicle in front and put a spare tyre between the bumpers ... I used this once before in the days of metal bumpers and it worked a treat. Off-road of course :)

One thing you could try to move it to get more brakes .... is have another vehicle in front and put a spare tyre between the bumpers ... I used this once before in the days of metal bumpers and it worked a treat. Off-road of course :)

:D

I'll tell what doesn't work very well when you haven't any brakes and when towing, and that's having a couple of mates sitting on the bonnet of the towed car with their feet braced against the tow car...

It also doesn't help if the towed driver is sitting on a milk crate...

All off-road, of course! ;)

Well the car is working and it was...the battery!! :) He got it towed over there by a relative, rather him than me. The guy checked the battery and it came up knackered so gave it a quick charge and got the car started. Got home and bought a new battery and it's fine.

Thing is he checked the battery voltage, charged it overnight and there is also a green light on the battery itself that tells you it's good or not, it was green! ;)

Well the car is working and it was...the battery!! :) He got it towed over there by a relative, rather him than me. The guy checked the battery and it came up knackered so gave it a quick charge and got the car started. Got home and bought a new battery and it's fine.

Thing is he checked the battery voltage, charged it overnight and there is also a green light on the battery itself that tells you it's good or not, it was green! ;)

Nice to know it was a cheap fix there :D

That green light thing only shows the specific gravity of one cell, pretty useless really.

How did you test the battery? Was it using a volt meter or did you get it load tested?