Stretch tyres and the MOT

Tony

For the first time i've read that a car running 225mm tyres on a 10j wheel failed the MOT, the terminology used was "tyre not correctly seated on rim". The owners argument was if the tyre is not correctly seated it would be flat?

I'm not so sure it is a fail :thumbsup_anim:

If they believe it's a pass why don't they complain or get a second opinion first?

I take it this has been done for that euro look, what car is it to have 10" wide wheels? More trouble than it's worth all this tyre stretching! :thumbsup_anim:

If they believe it's a pass why don't they complain or get a second opinion first?

I take it this has been done for that euro look, what car is it to have 10" wide wheels? More trouble than it's worth all this tyre stretching! :thumbsup_anim:

Don't the tyre manufacturers quote which sizes can fit which width j rims they will fit?

If it is out of range then this should be a fail.

What if this overly stretched tyre blew out and caused a death? would the insurance company try the usual get out clause for that ?

Don't the tyre manufacturers quote which sizes can fit which width j rims they will fit?

What if this overly stretched tyre blew out and caused a death? would the insurance company try the usual get out clause for that ?

That's a good point, can't remember which tyre it was but one that I had said do not fit to 7.5J rims only 7J. Think these were 215 wide.

The "J" is stamped on the back of the wheel, so for the tester to know for sure he would have to remove the wheel and their not allowed to do that.

As far as fittment goes, the only thing that matters in an MOT is the inch of the rim against the tyre. Stretching tyres is perfectly legal! That guy should appeal against his fail!

As must as i hate the stretch tyre i have to agree. This MOT tester set his own standards which is not allowed.

The width of the tyre could be measured using those scissor type measurement things that older type of wheel balancers used.

Surely it would make sense to change the MOT testing.......

Oh hang on, that means common sense and this country doesn't usually follow things like that.

am I the only one who likes the stretched look ;)

must admit I have seen many drift cars with it and have yet to see any come of the rim, and they pretty much abuse them the worst way possible

I had stretched 225 falkens on front with 9.5 inch Rotas when i owned my 200sx.

I'd never do it again - ruined the front end grip and feel and it invited the rim to get scraped and marked up.

Waste of time on a 'good handling' car. For looks only.