Ford Mondeo 1.8 TD

Rich

Found the report and just realised the chassis has been set using the data for a MK3 not the MK2? :lol:

uh whoops! :D

Easy mistake to make mate :) my car is registered the same month the MK3 came out, I know Tony's done it before ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've decided not to do the brake upgrade, basically I can't be arsed and think I'm loosing interest in the car so there's no point ploughing money into it. I only needed the discs, which are £70 or I can sell the calipers and pads and just buy standard (mintex boxset) brakes for around £45. End of the day they would've mainly been for show as a 90bhp TD doesn't need to stop quick! :D

I'm going to sell the lexus lights and fit the standard ones back but will tint them first....like in this photo

mondeo.jpg

I may fit the strut brace, not decided on that yet. I did have lots of plans like meshing the front grill, ST kit, some bodywork and colour coded handles.

I've had the car 5 years this June and I'm craving for something with more power, all my motors have been less than 100bhp! :smile_anim:

I can't fault the car though, been very reliable (apart from the subframe and driveshaft issues when I first got it) and I can't see it being worth more than £1,000 now being 10 years old this September. I will just keep it for now as the insurance is cheap and if you drive sensibly you get 500 miles to a tank. I won't be putting it back to standard though suspension wise as I don't have any of the OEM bits to put back on as they were all knackered when removed, same with the zorst.

I'm craving something Jap, always been a ford man (apart from 1 vauxhall) but I won't be getting a new motor just yet.

I forgot about the split CV boot I spotted when doing the wishbones...cleaned the car earlier and there's grease all over the wheel and arch :( Also all over my wheel brushes and I can't get it off!! FFS ;)

Gonna have to change that now...

How can you forget about that ;)

Busy with work and hospital appointments :( I'll have to get one Thursday morning and try to fit it. It's the inner one so I'm hoping if I get a stretchy one it will fit over the bearings without having to remove the shaft.

What a split, glue together boot?

No a stretchy one that's made to go over the cv joint with a cone. I prefer these anyway as they last longer than the harder ones that don't stretch.

• 1 month later...

Well I've sold the strut brace after it being sat in the cupboard for 8 months! A MEGger who lives near me parents is having it so dropping it off when I'm next over. Got my standard lights back, which I'm going to tint and then sell the lexus ones. I'm not sure whether to put it back to standard though...what I get back for the suspension and exhaust will cost the same as getting new bits fitted unless I can find some used parts in good nick.

Grrr bloody cv boots!!!!! :( :(

Supplier is to blame mate, not the boot -_-

True...funny how Tony got the right boots from the same supplier though and Ford supplied the wrong ones as well!! ;)

Well 2 new tyres were fitted yesterday, inner cv boots changed for the right ones, did the oil change today and also replaced a central locking motor that packed up 2 years ago!! Just need to swap the seat runner over now and try and get the other one welded.

Just found the bit of paper I wrote the mileage on when I got my tyres fitted last time, was 173K miles. The new tyres were fitted on Friday at 183K miles so 10K miles is good going for me but I did let them wear right down to the limit! The previous Toyo's I had lasted 7K miles! :)

• 1 month later...

She just passed the mot but advisory on both front wishbone bushes, WTF! I only fitted 4 months ago and chose delphi for their supposingly good quality, I'm not happy as only done 1500 miles since fitting them :angry2:

Tony when I'm next over any chance of undoing the bolts on the ramp as I'm interested in seeing if the bushes go bang as I can't torque them with the weight on the car? This is the 4th set in 5 years and 34k miles!!

I was chatting to a motorfactor regarding this the other day, as I have recently replaced both lower arms on my Mk4 Golf. It seems unfortunately the pattern part industry use a lower grade of rubber bush that deteriorates faster under normal conditions than a genuine example (in most cases). Cost being the major factor of course. Apparently for certain vehicles you can specifiy a 'heavy duty' arm (which has a stiffer, and I presume closer to OE quality bush) but I can't say I've spent much time on this subject.

When I worked at an independant dealership customer complaints of having new lower arms on their Fiesta's/Mondeo's/Saxo's etc after a year or so were commonplace and although the part can be changed quickly with the right tools its not ideal when you have to explain (without saying it outright) that the parts are not designed to last :angry2:

Yes I completely understand that, you get what you pay for and if I had bought Ford wishbones 4 years ago for £180 they would probably still be ok(ish) as I don't do much mileage. The fact is Delphi are suppose to be the company that makes the OEM wishbones for Ford so I was expecting the quality to be similar. I paid £30 each for these arms, not to mention the fuel for the 60 mile round trip to get them!

These arms replaced some ebay ones that I paid £30 delivered for, so they were cheapy cheap one but they lasted at least 8000 miles before I started getting that floating feeling when the bushes are worn. With the delphi ones the handling is still tight and I've not noticed any problems so I want a second opinion on these bushes first.

Car also got an advisory on a front drop link but they're at least 3 years old now so have done well. You could only feel the play with the car on the wheels, I've always checked them with the car jacked up! Got the ticket now so I'm looking to sell anytime soon and move onto something Jap.

The 306 also passed with no advisories so that was a relief! :angry2:

Got the ticket now so I'm looking to sell anytime soon and move onto something Jap.

There's logic in that statement :)

Maybe it's not the bushes after all, there's always the possibity of another problem accelerating the wear. Anything is possible with cars it seems :)

Got the ticket now so I'm looking to sell anytime soon and move onto something Jap.

There's logic in that statement :)

Maybe it's not the bushes after all, there's always the possibity of another problem accelerating the wear. Anything is possible with cars it seems :)

Yep it's time I went Jap I think :huh:

The car is lowered 30mm so that will play some part in it and the shocks are fine as I replaced those around 15K miles ago when I lowered it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well had the bushes looked at yesterday, separating very slightly but nothing to worry about. Front wheels were rebalanced and apparently I should have spigot rings fitted, yet I've had no vibration issues in the 3 years I've had the wheels apart from the last couple of weeks. Will test it today on the motorway to see if it's still there.

Got some good MPG this week as well...I covered 489 miles with 55 litres of diesel (60 litre tank) so it works out to 40mpg, which is pretty good for an old school diesel. I think if I had let the tank run dry I would've got nearly 550 miles. This was mainly motorway and dual carriageway driving doing around 60-70mph with the odd blast!

I'm not sure whether to get rid of the car ATM with the mileage I'm doing as a Subaru Legacy 2.5L estate (won't be getting the GTB for now) will get me around 300 miles to a tank from what I've read. Decisions decisions!

Do it, you only live once :D

Yes if anything the last few weeks has taught me it is that.

The vibrating in the steering wheel has gone but the dash is still going mad so I think the rears may need balancing as well. They haven't been redone since I bought the wheels/tyres over 3 years ago.