Ford Mondeo 1.8 TD

Rich

Just glad it's sorted now and I've ended up with a Bosch alternator discounted by 40 quid :D I'll try that with the alternator but not tomorrow cos the intercooler needs to come off again! Yeah I might have a read of DC electricty, got any good links? :huh:

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To be fair I've never looked on line for info on DC electricity. I'd start at looking how batteries work and go from there. The best way would be to get a small battery and some lights, of various wattage, and wire them up and do resistance,voltage and current checks. You'd learn a lot from mucking about than reading complex theory. Especially fault finding.

Your first mission - fix the xmas lights, that are bound to be broken, using just your multimeter set to resistance (the horse shoe shaped setting)

DO NOT PLUG THE LIGHTS IN AND DO VOLTAGE CHECKS!!

Thanks for the video, I will watch that when I get a minute :o

Now here is the problem with the changing the belt...

Hopefully I've labelled the photos clearly enough so you know what's what. The photo below shows where the belt is positioned, the alternator one goes on first and then the aircon, they both shared the middle large pulley.

alternator_06.jpg

Now this wouldn't be a problem if the aircon tensioner lock nut had access, which it doesn't. You can just about get a cut down allen key in the gap but then no way of getting enough leverage to turn it! The only way possible to do it properly is to raise that side of the engine...crazy! I thought about undoing the 4 bolts that hold that middle pulley on and slipping the belt on from behind. But if I do that with the aircon belt still tensioned will I get it back on?

alternator_07.jpg

Those voltage readings are fine. Its a little higher than yesterday's figures but the battery has been slightly drained over night by the clock and alarm etc. If you go out for a good drive and come back and measure again the readings will be similar to what you had yesterday.

All's good mate. :o

Battery voltage with the engine running should be between 13 and 14.5 volts depending on the load.

Any more than this and there is an issue with the voltage regulator in the alternator !

Don't be surprised if you start blowing the lamps on the car........

I would get a replacement alternator.

Went out earlier to the shops and when I got there I left the engine running and checked it again, 14.3v is what it was reading. I'll check again tomorrow when I get to work but I'm hoping it is ok, I can't be doing with changing it again!!

Considering how cold it is this morning my car started first time, the last few times it's taken 2 attempts when there's been frost. Judging by the brightness of my dash lights and headlights now I'd say the alternator has been on it's way out for some time and the battery hasn't been fully charged for a while.

With the moisture in the car I used to get condensation or ice on the inside screen, since I've been leaving the vents open over night it's not as bad now. So winter might be better than I originally thought it would be but we shall see!

Considering your low mileage it's didn't do very well.

It probably lasted 20K miles, maybe abit more but I only paid the postage for it as it was given to me so can't complain!

It may be the EGR that leaks oil though, it drips down the wiring loom that connects to the alternator. Although there was no sign of oil actually on it, just the wiring I'm wondering if it was this that killed it.

Wet vac'd the rear seats of the interior tonight, doing the fronts tomorrow and then fitting it all. Only problem I might have is the fitting for the centre seat belt looks different to what's already fitted in mine.

Finished fitting my interior today...the old one was light grey and this one is slightly darker. Seems Ford must've made all of the trim darker as well cos it looks out of place abit now. So I might try and get some replacement trim and a dark carpet to match as well.

Finished fitting my interior today...the old one was light grey and this one is slightly darker. Seems Ford must've made all of the trim darker as well cos it looks out of place abit now. So I might try and get some replacement trim and a dark carpet to match as well.

"PICTURES!!"

• 5 weeks later...

My car did not like the cold yesterday, although not sure it's related. Setting off to me parents the handbrake and ABS lights wouldn't go off although the brakes were working fine. Checked the brake fluid level when I got there and it was halfway between min and max so topped it up, the lights still stayed on when I started the car. Went out later on and the handbrake light went out but the ABS one didn't. On the way home both the lights went out and everything was fine so not sure what happened. Is it normal to loose abit of brake fluid over time though? It has always been on the max level so not sure if I have a leak.

Also the flaming starter motor got jammed after turning the car off...gave it a smack with a shovel as rocking the car in gear didn't work. I hope that's not gonna pack up now!! :crying_anim:

• 3 weeks later...

Well after driving the hirer car all weekend mine felt like a tank this morning, I actually thought there might be a problem with the car! The clutch didn't feel right when pulling away and the steering was VERY heavy, especially when trying to park. Before I started driving the hire car I had no issues at all with mine :rolleyes:

You've been spoilt with modern technology :rolleyes:

I can't believe what a difference it made though. I used to go from the Mondeo to the Pug all the time and was fine. But then the hirer car is 2 years old with 22K on the clock! :)

The car felt abit better to drive this morning but gonna check the tyre pressures and PAS fluid just to make sure!! :lol:

I need some new rear tyres asap but wanted to sell these wheels and get some steelies, which I still haven't been able to find on ebay...not worth getting winter tyres now. Not sure what to do though, bite the bullet and buy the new tyres or try and find some smaller alloys to put on instead.