Missus just had a minor accident

Rich

She popped home to get something and someone parked opposite the driveway. When she was reversing out the sun was really bright and she just caught this car. Taken a small amount of paint off and made a small dent in the door of this car and there is a scrape on her bumper.

She exchanged details with this woman who said she'll go home and let her husband wash it and take a look. Should we tell the insurance company now or wait and see what they say? Obviously this would be her fault so insurance is going to increase if a claim is made :(

Personally I'd wait and see, if it's not major might be cheaper to get it fixed privately.

And perhaps invest in some parking sensors!  :)

It already has parking sensors, it didn't go off until she hit the car!

She sent me a photo but the car is so dirty I can't tell what the scrape is like, the dent is where the rubber door strip is.

I'll wait and see if they ring by tonight.

What's even more annoying is this woman could've parked in the drive of the house she was visiting!

IMG-20150217-WA0001.jpg

I've got a feeling there is a recess for the door strip and it's not stuck on a smooth surface so it could be difficult for a smart repair. I guess it depends on what condition the rest of their car is in and whether they care about getting it repaired.

If it goes through the insurance do I get our car done as well? The front bumper needs a respray and there is a small amount of rust by the rear screen that needs sorting out. It seems pointless getting the rear bumper done and leaving the rest.

Years ago I changed lanes in traffic that was crawling along and there must've been a car in my blind spot I didn't see. I just caught the rear quarter panel of the car. Pulled over and I gave the woman my details but she didn't seem to care and drove off before giving me hers, I never heard back about it! When someone dented the bumper on the Mondeo they left me a note but I didn't think it was worth the aggro of sorting it out through insurance so left it.

It already has parking sensors, it didn't go off until she hit the car!

She sent me a photo but the car is so dirty I can't tell what the scrape is like, the dent is where the rubber door strip is.

Sounds like you might need new ones then  :blink: 

I think a dent removal guy should be able to sort that, but it isn't too clear from that photo so you'll have to wait and see. If insurance you might as well get your car fixed as well.

You cant get your front bumper done on the same claim ,  you would need another one

Depends on how bad your damage is as to whether you claim as well but you should inform your insurance company even if the other party doesnt want to claim , but they will, thats going to be getting on for £500-£1000 i reckon

Do you have protected ncb?

and some sunglasses ;)

She already wears them, I think it must've been the sun and the sensor not going off that made her think she had enough room. I hate it when people park opposite driveways.

Sounds like you might need new ones then  :blink: 

I think a dent removal guy should be able to sort that, but it isn't too clear from that photo so you'll have to wait and see. If insurance you might as well get your car fixed as well.

I'll have to look at them, it could be a faulty sensor I guess.

You cant get your front bumper done on the same claim ,  you would need another one

Depends on how bad your damage is as to whether you claim as well but you should inform your insurance company even if the other party doesnt want to claim , but they will, thats going to be getting on for £500-£1000 i reckon

Do you have protected ncb?

Yes I know that but would it be worth getting the rear done on the insurance and leaving the front. Claiming for our bumper would increase the value of the whole claim made as well.

She thinks it's a Hyundai Accent and looking at the trim on the cars for sale it seems to be quite an old model and repairs would probably be the same value as the car itself if not more.

Yes we have protected NCBs.

If they want to take it further but outside of insurance and they want some cash would a receipt from them be enough to prove we've settled it?

Rich. Go on autotrader. Select sell my car... Put in reg and guestimate milage.. Will give you a value ;)

It won't value cars that are over 15 years old!  :rolleyes:

The woman told the missus not to worry about it at the time and that her husband works at the garage down the road (I know it) so hopefully they won't want to go through the insurance. I'm sure he'll know the car would more than likely be written off.

The thing is would the insurers pay out to write it off and then give them the car back? I've done that before years ago but I'm not sure if you can still do it? Their insurance wouldn't increase so they don't have anything to lose.

Yes probably , the car would be written off they would get the settlement , less the salvage then they would need to get a further check done on the vehicle before it can be re-insured. 

Truth be told it wont really hurt you any more if they claim or if they dont. 

So for them it's not really going to be worth claiming vs the aggro of getting the car checked just to get a few hundred quid out of it.

I've not see the damage on the Civic yet, it might need a new bumper.

So for them it's not really going to be worth claiming vs the aggro of getting the car checked just to get a few hundred quid out of it.

I'd be very surprised if you need a new bumper after that, I'm expecting it to barely be damaged at all.

If it was me then I would want a couple of hundred quid to repair the door, as if the roles were reversed I expect you would as well, only you can decided whether that's worth it for you.

You cant odds folk though , sometimes they do very strange things

I'd be very surprised if you need a new bumper after that, I'm expecting it to barely be damaged at all.

I'll find out soon but she something about it coming away so I don't know if it's just popped out or mounting points have snapped.

If it was me then I would want a couple of hundred quid to repair the door, as if the roles were reversed I expect you would as well, only you can decided whether that's worth it for you.

You cant odds folk though , sometimes they do very strange things

Do you really think they would get it repaired though on a car that old! Like I said before it has happened to me but most of it polished out so I didn't bother asking for money, maybe I should've. I'd offer the excess we have to pay if they asked.

Dont think you pay an excess if they claim off your insurance only if you claim

Personally if someone drove into my car damaging it damn right i'd want a couple of hundred quid or the car repaired. They may choose not to get it repaired and pocket the money but they still have to drive around with a dented car

Well the Civic looks worse than the other car. Big patch of missing paint so it's black plastic instead and the corner of the bumper looks bent and is no longer sitting flush.

When the missus knocked on the door the woman didn't seem bothered, just said oh and thanks for being honest. She wasn't even going to look at it. Said she'll see what her husband says so we might or might not hear from them!

From the condition the missus said their car was in I can't see them going through the insurance but we shall see.

This is the Civic. The lower scuff on the bumper was already there when we bought the car but the larger one further up happened yesterday. The paint on the corner of the bumper, where it meets the arch has cracked and it's bent slightly so even if I can get it to clip back in it probably won't sit flush anymore.

WP_20150218_07_49_55_Pro.jpg

WP_20150218_07_50_02_Pro.jpg