Missus just had a minor accident

Rich

Yeah I'll be doing that tomorrow, need to give it a wash as well. I won't bother with a smart repair, I'll just get both bumpers and the rust sorted at the same time. I've looked on ebay before for replacements but they're never in this colour.

That was probably a harder hit than I thought then - was she going quite fast? (well relatively speaking when reversing)

I agree the bent end and the cracked paint might make a smart repair a bit of a waste, I'm sure you'll be able to grab some second hand bumpers for not a lot, and if you're really lucky in the right colour!

Oh right, i thought it was just since the accident.

The front one needs a full respray but I was hoping to get a replacement from ebay for alot cheaper. Getting the rust and both bumpers done is probably going to be £500 so I'm not sure it's worth it on a car that's worth £1,500.

That was probably a harder hit than I thought then - was she going quite fast? (well relatively speaking when reversing)

I agree the bent end and the cracked paint might make a smart repair a bit of a waste, I'm sure you'll be able to grab some second hand bumpers for not a lot, and if you're really lucky in the right colour!

I don't think she was going that fast, only 5mph or so. We have a wall either side of the driveway so you have to come out slowly to avoid hitting it, with the car parked opposite she had to come out at a funny angle so couldn't of gone that fast. Bumpers on modern cars are so fragile now, not like those from the 90s that were really thick and rigid.

She only popped home to get something she had forgotten, usually she wouldn't be there that time of day, sods law!  :rolleyes:

She was only in and out of the house for minute to pick something up so just drove in. It also doesn't help that people park opposite the drive abit further along from where this car was but half on the pavement. Then you have the guy 2 doors down with several of his cars parked to the side of the drive so sometimes reversing in is just as tricky as getting out!

To be fair this is the first time she's hit anything since passing nearly 7 years ago.

Whichever way round you do it, or however long you're staying, you still need to reverse once. Might as well reverse into safe territory (your drive) and drive out into traffic where you can see what's happening than the other way round.

As for the other car, I wouldn't be surprised if they say "Give us a couple of hundred quid and that'll be sorted."  They probably won't even get it repaired but that's not entirely relevant.  As for the Civic, pop the bumper off and straighten the metal behind, and it might go back on something like reasonable.

Yep that's true, I always reverse in during the summer when the months are lighter but drive in during the winter for two reasons. The wall isn't lit up that well so it's difficult to see and the heat from the house stops the inside of the car from misting up.

She has heard from them, they got a quote and want £180 cash to keep it out of the insurance. That's going to sting especially as she bought a years tax this week but what's the alternative, have a claim on there for 5 years. It'll affect my insurance as well being a named driver.

That's a lesson learnt though, if the sun is blinding you don't carry on, get out and check as well!

You "should" inform your insurance company really , but if it costs you £180 and you can get away with it then it will work out cheaper , but its a risk 

Make sure you get them to sign something so you have a reciept that you paid in "full and final settlement of the claim"

• Like 1

I'll give them a cheque so I have a paper trail as well but yes I'll definitely be getting a receipt also. Even though we have protected NCB I know it'll increase it and over 5 years it'll cost more than this £180.

Yeah wont effect your ncb but having that accident against you hurts , the prang my wife had in my Superb last year has impacted the premium on all three cars as she was on my insurance , her accident , my claim its probably going to cost us about £1200 at the end of 5 years

Found this format for a reciept , I do encourage you to add a line that the car was parked and unoccupied as they could still bring an injury claim for up to three years

Mr xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx
London
SExx xxx

11th June 2011

Dear Mr ----------

Re: Accident 7th June 2011

This letter is to confirm that you have received the sum of £350 in full and final settlement of the accident that took place at approx 8.30pm on 7th June 2011 involving your Mercedes Reg No and my Volvo xxxxxxx.

By accepting this payment you discharge all liability from myself to you in regards to the above accident and you will have no further claim against Mr Michael xxxxxxx.

Print Name___________________________

Signed:______________________________ Dated ______________

Yours sincerely

and the receipt:

11th June 2011

RECEIPT

I have received the sum of £350 paid in Cash from Mr Michael xxxxxxxx in settlement of an accident that occurred on 7th June 2011.

Signed ___________________ Dated ________________

Thanks, I was just going to look for a template I could use, that is perfect and good idea about the car being parked.

I take it both parts we would keep or should I do one for each of us?

Yeah wont effect your ncb but having that accident against you hurts , the prang my wife had in my Superb last year has impacted the premium on all three cars as she was on my insurance , her accident , my claim its probably going to cost us about £1200 at the end of 5 years

Ouch, that's got to hurt :(

They said they'd get a receipt from the guy, obviously someone her husband knows in the trade. It does seem to have taken the paint off their door so needs at least a smart repair on that. I was actually surprised they didn't ask for more.

I printed that letter out and added that the car was parked and unoccupied. They signed it and took the cheque so hopefully that's the end of it. She was really grateful for her honesty. She said her last car got vandalised (with a beer barrel!) along with others at the social club on the other side of the park and she had to claim off her insurance, sent it sky high!

I had a look at the damage and the door has been pushed in so part of the strip is no longer attached. There's some paint transfer as well which would polish out and a couple of chips but I have a feeling they might've already been there, they didn't look fresh but it was dark. She drives down the lanes everyday to get to the stables so the car is scratched from the hedges as well.

I'm not sure how much chips away charge for a smart repair but it could probably be done for less, really it only needs the dent removed but it's done now.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how much chips away charge for a smart repair but it could probably be done for less, really it only needs the dent removed but it's done now.

Last time I had a dent removed (admittedly not that big) it was about £75 - if there's no paint damage I'd assume it to be somewhere in that ball park as they just charge a flat fee per panel.

However I think £180 is a fair settlement for that, best just chalk it up and get those parking sensors fixed!

I'm going to test the sensors later but I have a feeling it might have been the angle at which the car was at and that end one wasn't near enough to trigger it so the corner of the bumper touched the door. Even when I drive out after reversing in I have to use the whole width of the road so it's a pain when people park opposite but yes I think she'll be paying more attention from now on.

If we do buy the place I think one of the first things I'll be doing is removing part of the wall. When you reverse in you can't actually see some of it when driving out so it's dodgy either way but hitting the wall is better than someone's car!