Forecourt pricing scam.....

Tony

post-2-0-09954800-1416307525.jpg

Problem is, even if the pump numbers did all match up, you still don't know for sure that you really got 1 litre.

There's definitely cases of garages being fined for not having correctly calibrated measuring equipment. A Tesco Garage was fined a few Years ago and iirc it was calculated they'd ripped customers off to the tune of £150,000 over the period the measuring equipment was faulty.

I also remember the volumes of many liquids change dependent on temperature fluctuations.Petrol is one of those - A litre from the pump in hot weather will be less volume than a litre delivered in cold weather.

Thus, (in my uneducated opinion), petrol should never be charged in litres anyway, it should be sold by weight.

There's a minimum delivery amount in litres to even out the way the pump calculates price against measured volume.

In the picture above the pump may have dispensed 1.009 litres and that would calculate at £1.25 but show as 1.00 litres ;)

attachicon.giftemporary_zps6a1d5719.jpg

Problem is, even if the pump numbers did all match up, you still don't know for sure that you really got 1 litre.

There's definitely cases of garages being fined for not having correctly calibrated measuring equipment. A Tesco Garage was fined a few Years ago and iirc it was calculated they'd ripped customers off to the tune of £150,000 over the period the measuring equipment was faulty.

I also remember the volumes of many liquids change dependent on temperature fluctuations.Petrol is one of those - A litre from the pump in hot weather will be less volume than a litre delivered in cold weather.

Thus, (in my uneducated opinion), petrol should never be charged in litres anyway, it should be sold by weight.

I know what you mean, but it's the mass that changes, not the volume. Think of a 1 litre container filled to the brim with petrol. It will have a specific mass and the energy available is directly proportional to that mass. If the temperature rises, the volume of the petrol will increase and it will overflow. The volume in the container is still one litre, but the mass of the petrol in the container has decreased and so has the available energy. If you are buying by volume, it makes sense to buy when the petrol is cold. One of the reasons why storage tanks are buried in the ground is to limit temperature variation, but it would certainly make sense to buy by weight. It's a bit more difficult to measure liquid mass continuously than it is to measure volume continuously, but there are ways of doing it.

When in car parks the fee is offset by the parking charge , when in services, little chefs etc it's offset but the stuff you buy in the store

It's a good business model for those companies because they get a customer spending 30+ mins