Wozza's Honda Accord ICE Thread

djwozza

It has been a mighty battle this time around but perfection is your nemesis... That was patently clear with the Lexus ICE so this time i cannot imagine how you exceed perfection..... I spoken to people about the time you "upped" the volume with me in the Lexus and my hair moved forward with the sound blast, they think i'm kidding but as we know i'm not.  

Ah yes the bass line from the introduction to Neil Diamond's - America. I say bass line, it's actually hidden from most home/car systems as it goes ridiculously low like a cathedral organ, deffo a favourite demo track for the intro as it's a bass you feel rather than just hear, but also it has complex waves of strings which really test the full range of frequencies for clarity.

If the system gets anywhere near my expectations this time around I will be very happy. No reason it shouldn't, but it's getting near the equivalent of the Christmas Tree @ Santa Pod time for a car with a highly modded/tuned engine.

The proof of the pudding....... Only time will tell but I'm getting excited ;)

It had to be at the very least on a par with the Lexus install or would have been a complete failure.

With the extra sound deadening including the roof & the entire boot lining, that alone should be an improvent, then add in better quality speakers (the Alpine components I have upgraded were no slouch), more power to the subwoofer & the front soundstage, & the very best head unit Pioneer made last summer, the improvements should be a noticeable step up.

How much of a step up, only time will tell...

A few bits & pieces finished off today, no time for pictures unfortunately, it was too cold to hold the camera steady.

Door Bins

Lined the inside of the door bins with a layer of Closed Cell Foam

(Prevents any bits & pieces jangling around)

Power Cable & RCA's

Run Power Cable from the Fuse Box to under the driver seat plus an RCA Phone lead for the amplifier that will drive the rear door component speakers. This is a JL Audio A2150 providing 2x 75Wrms, this allows my 300/4 to run in bridged mode 2x 150Wrms to the front speaker set up. Watch for a somewhat different & slightly unique solution to the front sound stage than the Lexus, which had stock location Mid/Bass Woofers in the bottom of the doors, with tweeters mounted in stock pods behind the mirrors. You won't see any difference other than the Honda tweeter stock location is in the corners of the dash near the windows.... More of this when the car is finished......

Ski Hatch

Yep. I took a Dremel to the area behind the rear arm rest to make a Ski Hatch/Bass Port. As I fully intend to keep the car for at least a few years yet, this was the only solution. With the rear 6x9's removed & this extra port, there will be very little obstruction for the bass flow into the cabin. Some cars systems are deliberately designed so the car can be heard streets away. Mostly they don't live up to the hype inside when you get a demo. As this car was designed to keep me happy, & as I sit inside the car, that is where I have focused the sound. If you can hear it outside then great, but that's just a bonus for you. I want the sound to be focused on those lucky enough to hear it from the inside.

A big shout to Y2Kanjar for his help & use of his sheltered driveway today. If I win the lottery I will deffo buy a big house with a double or even treble garage. Working outside today was fine, the sun was out. Then all if a sudden my hands just started freezing up, which then spread to my core very quickly, so we had to retire to his nice warm house stopping any further work for now.

Mission impossible is very nearly achieved.......

My eardrums took a while to heal after experiencing the ICE in your Lexus. Don't know about "Mission Impossible", more like the "The Italian Job" and the often repeated 'you're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off'.

• Like 1

Update

I can say with absolute conviction the install is complete :thumbsup_anim:

Wozza and his big heart took the time out to come and see me all the way from Kent and give me the chance to see/ hear the ICE before anyone else..... All i can say is f**king wow!!!!!

Now i'm a cynical type of person and say it as i see it, in truth maybe that's not the best approach in life but sugar coating things to please leaves a dirty taste in my mouth..... So big man turns up at 4.30pm allowing enough daylight so i can see the install in it's glory and all i can say it's amazing. The speaker configuration is a sleeper as is the head unit ( when turned off ) The AMP's/ battery/ wiring are displayed in a well organized but stealthy fashion allowing visibility credit points for the quality of the build without a nest of wires.

Here is where i'm going to struggle because i'm not ICE technically minded but as said i am to the point..... Sitting in the car wozza explained the sound can be set to a audio focal point which is currently set for the driver meaning as a passenger i won't hear absolute perfection?.... On went the music which was loud but not hurt type of loud. The singing and treble was crystal clear and i don't just mean clear but sharp with zero distortion despite the volume..... And then it happened the bass cut in, my hair moved forward and my coat fluttered... Wow the treble remained as clear despite the bass and i was in an arena of sound..... Absolutely stunning, never heard anything like it before, EVER.

Elaine, wozza and myself had planed to go out for a meal allowing Elaine to experience the ICE but this time away from the residential areas, so sitting at the far end of the carvery car park and with Elaine in the pass anger seat wozza cranked it up... I could see what he was doing with the music allowing a gentle totally clear intro relaxing the mood but with volume encompassing the cabin and then it happened.... The bass struck and Elaines head struck the roof  :lol: Her earrings were fluttering like wind chimes in a hurricane, what colour she had in her hair was gone and i owe wozza some money to remove the stain in the seat..... Sorry about that.

All in all i can honestly say top marks from a novice like me i was/ am very impressed not only with the pure quality of the sound because that's technology but with the build which is effort and in this case perfection so says Mr cynical.

Off topic but something i would like to say..... I first met wozza via a club meet many years ago and i can read the difference between a wideboy and a genuine person... We clicked straight way despite our distant skills and a friendship was born.... When Lynn died who was on the phone to me every day... Who travelled unannounced from Kent to Watford to hold my hand at her funeral and then force fed me at her wake. and who talked with me for hours at home and almost put me to bed after..... Wozza.  

There goes Tony when I say "don't mention it online as it's a secret till after a meet next month"  

Luckily most of my FB people might miss this lol  :thumbsup_anim: 

Guys I'm humbled with the comments again. Tony you have to remember when judging the install, there are 2 main types of ICE builds these days, SPL (Sound Pressure Level) or SQ (primarily Sound Quality based, flat EQ, volume levels are far far lower). This is more towards the SQ kind of build, but with added balls, so crystal clear clarity and fairly decent volumes with a good dollop of tuneful bass. By that I mean basslines are followed with some accuracy albeit at fairly loud levels. Lots of cars will go louder, but they certainly won't sound as clean as this does across the frequency range. 

So the good news is it's finally finished. Well kind of. It's all in fitted & working but there are a few cosmetic bits needing attention. These will all get done over the next couple of months as it gets warmer, and are already paid for etc, it's mostly just a question of tidying up & finishing off. 

1) A Battery Box for the boot install needs to be made from sheet aluminium & carpeted.

2) Under Rear Seat still needs to have the Silent Coat applied.

3) A custom fit Perspex Panel covering the Amplifiers needs to be made & fitted, with JL Audio Decals. 

4) Re do Amp Rack. I'm going to hide away the cables underneath. Quite a rigmarole but will tidy the look up. 

5) The temp Ski Hatch needs finishing off so it's visually perfect. 

7) Driver's cubbyhole has 2 bass controllers in and the infra red control for the TV tuner, so it needs a mounting plate cut & custom fitted to tidy it all up inside.

6) Courtesy LED's in front doors & footwells.

So how does it sound? Initially it was impressed, then maybe a little disappointed. Then a few crossover tweeks, measuring path lengths to my ears in my driving position, time alignment dialing in and corssover adjustment then it was just like WOW!! We have CD, Mp3, iPhone, DVD, Freeview TV, DAB Radio, Handsfree Bluetooth & Reverse Camera. Oh & Sat Nav, I nearly forgot that. There are 11 Speakers, 3 Amplifiers, & one very happy driver!! A good week or two running in the speakers inside the cabin, then more gain levels & crossover tweeking, & finally then some EQ to my own personal preference (which is totally flat so far).

Here is a system diagram with how it all eventually ended up.

System%20Picture%20January%202015.jpg

So what is in the install?

Pioneer F-60DAB Head Unit/Sat Nav

Alpine TUE-T150DV DVB-T TV Tuner

Alpine KRE-500E   Remote Eye

Alpine KAE-210DV  Amplified DVB-T Tuner Aerial

JLAudio1000-12.jpg

JL Audio 1000/1 Amplifier (driving)

JLAudio12W7-37-1.jpg

JL Audio 12W7-3 Subwoofer

JLAudio300-42.jpg

JL Audio 300/4  Amplifier (driving)

JL Audio C5-650 Dash mounted Tweeters

JL Audio C3-650 Front Component/Coaxials 

JL Audio A2150  Amplifier (driving)

JL Audio C2-650 Rear Components

Pyle PLCM HONDA Infrared Rear Camera

Silent Coat Bulkpacks 3x2mm & 1x4mm

CCF Self Adhesive Decoupling foam 9mm & 3mm

0awg Power & Ground Cables

4awg Power & Ground Cables (Sky High)

0agw & 4awg Terminals

Plastic Conduit trunking

KnuKoncept 0AWG Battery Terminals (2 sets)

KnuKoncept KNF-60 Fused Distribution Block

KnuKoncept KNF-36 Fused Distribution Block

KnuKoncept 8AWG x2 Subwoofer Cable

Technical stuff

After a quick listen to 2 of JL Audio's official demo cars, my original plan to use the C2-650 Speakers as my front had to be changed. As with all manufacturers there are base model speakers, then as prices increase as does the quality & the technology along with performance. The C2's retail at around £150 now, (£190 when I bought them), and although they are a step of from the Alpines I had in the Lexus, they then were clearly outclassed by the C3's.

The C3's are an interesting engineering solution. They are a convertible coaxial/component system, so in effect they can be used as a drop in speaker replacement with the Tweeter mounted inside the front of the Woofer like this....

JL%20Audio%20C3-650%206.5-inch%20165%20m

or they can be detatched (literally unscrewed) and run seperately as a Woofer & Tweeter and mounted in seperate locations

leaving the Woofer with a supplied phase plug

They have an externally mounted crossover to split the frequencies between the speakers in either mode

JL%20Audio%20C2-650%20Crossover%202.jpg

JL Audio ran these with the tweeter attached in their demo cars as they feel it provided better imaging with the drivers closer together, and after listening I had to agree. They also ran in the centre of the dashboard another set of tweeters to help lift the sound more up to ear level, in a ghost tweeter arrangement. As I wanted a stealthy look I decided to do this with the incredibly HQ C5 Tweeters, but hidden in the stock locations in the far corners of the dashboard. This has worked out incredibly effective, as although they are running at approx 3dB lower than the C3's, it is just enough to raise the vocals up to head level, & tbh with them seperated the soundstage imaging is pretty awesome even if I do say so myself. The C5 Tweeters & adjustable crossovers, note the jumper bars for adjusting the tweeter volume so they integrate as needed.

JL%20Audio%20C5-650%206.5-inch%20165%20m

JL%20Audio%20C5-650%206.5-inch%20165%20m

C2's (originally going in the front)

JLAuidoC2-65065-inch165mm2-WayComponentS

So the C2's got relegated to the rear doors, these only run for effect when I am alone in the car, so are backed down to around a third volume to just provide something known as rear fill. Only when I have rear seat passengers in demo mode they get some more volume. The sound should always come more from the front as you simply don't go to a concert, & then turn your back on the main stage.....They still sound pretty awesome but are outclassed by the newer C3's in the front door. As my 300/4 was now running in 300/2 mode, the C2's power demands are provided by another JL Audio Amplifier; a A2150 (eBay you godsend), which takes up every inch under the driver seat & provides up to 75Wrms to each rear door.

JL%20Audio%20A2150%20Amplifier%201.jpg

Not any room at all under the drivers seat now lol

So a few bit's and bobs to do over the next month or two after it's all given a final dail in, but thankfully spending money is now over, which is lucky really as that coincides with me having none ha ha

Anyone local to London that owns a Lexus IS200/300 or just wants to hear a demo, message me as I will be at a Lexus meet towards the end of February in NW London, or just PM me and we can sort something else out that suits you. 

Do me a favour though guys, no mentions on FB for now, ta muchly   :thumbsup_anim: 

Glad it's finished mate, I bet it's a relief and you can start enjoying it.

Did you go to the Accord meet on Sunday at Ace Cafe? I probably would've gone if it had been a different day, it would've been my Mums birthday on Sunday so I had family round.

So here's a few pics, not much to show really as everything is pretty much hidden except for the Rear Door Tweeters, and unless you looked for them, from outside the car you wouldn't know there was anything different other than the head unit, and again you wouldn't even see that in passing....

C5 Tweeters behind factory grills

2015-01-23%2011.06.16.jpg

C3 Component Coaxials behind factory Front Door Grills

2015-01-23%2011.06.04.jpg

C2 Component set in the Rear Doors

2015-01-23%2011.05.49%20HDR.jpg

Head Unit in my highly modified facia with modded radio surround

2015-01-23%2011.08.00%20HDR.jpg

A bit of TV whilst parked up

2015-01-23%2011.08.25.jpg

I am meeting Niraj next week in the evening, but unsure which day yet, I will PM you details as & when I know them and if you are free please feel free to join us, possibly at or near the Ace Cafe, or a bit later that night I am meeting a guy off the TypeAccord forum and he is near Cockfosters if that is any better for you, or hook up somewhere in between?