It's time to put the summer wheels and tyres back on

SMARTLY

I'm ready to put the summers back on but thought I'd swap them round to even out the wear and put more trad back on the front drive wheels. They are Continental Contipremiumcontact2 tyres. I've tolled at them and can't see a direction of rotation sign just an "outside" is this correct they are not directional? So do I swap front to back on the same side or opposite corners?

The great debate. For years it was always new tyres to the rear, Michelin recommended this under the theory that if you loose control of the car, you have the steering wheel to manage the front, but the rear is left to its own devices. Then Mercedes came in saying in actual fact, the new tyres should be fitted to the front, because that's where the larger braking force is, so they're the wheels that deserve the best traction.

Both good points, so we tend to leave them where they are!

Looking at the way the temperature has shot up over the last couple of days made me think that I too should put my summer wheels back on. The tyres each have about 6.5mm of tread and they are all very evenly worn so I had no difficult choices to make.

It took me about an hour to change all four so I obviously wouldn't make an F1 team, but it was warm and I was in no hurry.

It will be good to see my petrol consumption go down with the warmer weather and low rolling resistance tyres on.

20130415SummerTyre.jpg

I need to make a decision on what to do re. summer tyres. I have winter's all round at the moment and 2 summer tyres (Pirelli P Zero Nero) in the garage from when the winter's were put on. Obviously the most economical option is to buy 2 new matching Pirelli's to go on the rear and put the used ones on the front. I'd rather buy a new set of wheels so I didn't have to faff about getting tyres taken on and off every half a year or so, but that would obviously be a much more expensive option!

Dave give me a call if you decide to put some new wheels on there, I'm sure between me and Tony we can do you a little tyre/wheel package deal

Thanks Joe, very kind of you. I'll have a think and let you know when i've decided what route to take! :)

I've never bothered with winter/summer tyres. Should I? Haven't really seen the need to. 

Managed just fine all year with the Toyos. Even had no problems in the snow, just added 25kg of ballast in the boot,but that's all.