Hydrographics......

Tony

Bit like we used to paint balloons and other objects in the old days, you got little bottles of paint that you put a couple of drops of different colours onto the top of some clean water in a bucket. Then dipped anything you wanted in there like balloons, jars, bottle, pencils.

Cous3 and myself explored this nearly two years ago to change the wood trim in the IS250 SE-L. The only company we found at that time was in Liverpool, and they were not interested in doing one-offs or very short batch work. If the owner of those wheels has found a company that would do short batches it would be good to know. Also considered diy but again the suppliers of the hydrographic films would only supply to the trade in quantity.

I posted on here a while back about this - its brilliant.

You can get the kit on ebay but it does look like a decent setup is needed for best results, and it looks to be a bit of a art form to dip and get the pattern on all the areas and not leave any gaps/blemishes/bubbles...

I think you will soon see the chavs massively overdoing it and covering everything unfortunately.

EDIT: my link

http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=10581

I find the use of the word hydrographics confusing in this context.

Hydrography is the investigation of seas and other bodies of water, including charting, sounding, the study of tides, currents etc. A hydrographer is someone who works in the field and hydrographics are the products of that work.

It's a major international activity and you'll find more here http://www.ths.org.uk/ about its applications in the UK and elsewhere.