bike that wont fall over

phipck

no a lightweight car can be driven on a bike licence

Ok I suppose that makes sense. But I still imagine anything with 2 wheels is considered a bike, anything else just wouldn't make sense.

Anyone remember the BMW C1 , a bike where you didnt need a helmet

That was classed as a motorbike still though, which is why in the UK you still needed to wear a helmet.

Is it significant that all the clips show it travelling in a straight line i.e. no cornering.

Bikes normally need to lean in order to steer - the front wheel is a freely pivoting gyroscope which precesses when the bike is laid over and hence gives steering. If there is another gyroscope (or two) that prevents leaning, how is the bike steered?

There would appear to be a significant engineering problem in separating desired lean (for steering) from undesired lean (when falling over). It could of course remain upright during steering, as in a car, but that would appear to be energy inefficient and I'm trying to get my head around that thought.

In vehicles that use flywheels to store energy, the flywheel is normally enclosed in an evacuated enclosure to reduce pumping losses, otherwise the energy required to spin the wheel is considerable. The weight of such devices is significant too, so questions about the overall energy efficiency of the device, especially for short journeys, must be interesting.

+1

I was wondering how it would corner, in the video it does turn slightly when they are pushing it but significant that they don't drive it round a corner. Maybe it will need another gyroscope in a different plane to allow you to steer rather than stopping it being knocked over from the side.

Quite so Sagitar, was thinking along the same lines myself.

Initially I thought that the gyroscope would only kick in whilst at rest, but I would imagine it would be difficult to spin it up and slow it fast enough to avoid rather strange effects.

Then I considered the flywheel(s) could be kept upright to allow lean and swivelled over to provide the low speed / stationary stability, but you must still get a very weird twisting effect in doing that.