Battery problem

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe you would be best to take it to an auto electrician then, they'll find the cause very quickly if it's not just the battery.

I'm getting to the point where I may just book it into Lexus and get them to sort it out, but I'm going to remove the car kit first as it doesn't work anyway and I have a funny feeling it's at fault.

Don't take this the wrong way, but three pages on and nearly three months later, after numerous suggestions from various people, you still haven't had the basic battery test done and now you are saying you'll take it in to Lexus to sort.

Begs the question - why ask on here?

The vast majority of electrical problems stem from poor connections and dodgy batteries, so do the basics first - get that aspect eliminated before looking anything more obscure / expensive / unlikely.

Fair enough, it has been going on a while. Don't see how it discounts any of the advice on here, ER mentioned above that Allparts can test it so I'm going to take it down tomorrow if I have time.

I actually phoned Allparts a short while ago who didn't seem to know what a drop tester was but said they have a device that gives them a printout of whether the cells are good and some other stuff - they apparently need this for battery warranty claims, so it must be the right tool?

I suppose it depends on what branch you go to but the guy I know at Watford is very helpful. They should have the right tools for testing a battery, all you do is put it on the terminals and the meter tells you whether it's dead or not.

Well Allparts said the battery is fine, so need to get the electrics checked. ER I think you mentioned using an auto electrician before, anyone you can recommend?

Only one I know and have used is in Essex so too far from you. I think google is your best bet :)

• 1 month later...

Still not got to the bottom of it (unsurprisingly) mainly because I've not used the car since the beginning of the month and it's fairly low priority in terms of my things to do. However someone suggested that there's a good chance that my possessed satnav screen is the cause, so to try charging the battery fully, then disconnecting the screen and leaving the car for a few weeks to see if it still goes flat. Will be doing that when I get a bit of time one weekend to take that part of the dash apart.

That's a bit of a bargain if it works, just £2.99!

• 2 months later...

Called a few mobile auto electricians today to see about someone coming round to have a look at this issue, all quoted around the £120 mark to diagnose the problem regardless of how long it takes.

In my head I'm thinking that isn't too bad based on maybe a couple of hours of labour, plus the travelling costs to me - does it seem a reasonable price?

Wow, prices have gone up since I last used one but that was a good few years ago. I guess you don't have much choice TBH and it's still cheaper than taking it to the dealer who could spend twice as long trying to diagnose it.

I had a similar problem with my daughters Corsa. First thought was the battery, so as I had a spare I switched it. She didn't use the car over a period of 4-5 days and then found it was as flat as the original had been. Next step was to disconnect the positive lead and connect my multimeter across the + and earth. It showed a continuous 0.3 amp drain, so removed the glovebox and boot bulbs with no effect. Then pulled and replaced each fuse in turn until I found the circuit causing the drain. It was the circuit for the radio/dashboard comp/hazard warning lights, and further investigation showed that a crap installation of the aftermarket radio was to blame. I didn't have the time to take the dash apart before she wanted to use the car so as a temporary measure, she just pulled the fuse when the car wasn't being used.

A few weeks later I had a similar problem with the IS200 Sport, so went through the same routine without finding a fault. Took the battery to the local battery shop, and after the drop test they pronounced it well and truly knackered, Unfortunately it was out of warranty so bought a new one.

So the auto electrician has been out today and it's been a little inconclusive unfortunately. Using all his equipment, he said the alternator is good, and there's no drain either (showed about 50mA, which he said is normal).

The battery does need replacement though, he isn't sure whether it is now dead because it's spent a lot of time completely flat over the last few months, or if that was the original cause, but either way it definitely needs to be replaced.

Obviously if this continues then there is a problem with something perhaps intermittently coming on and draining the battery, but hope it's not that as that sounds like a real pain.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to finally put this saga to bed, it turned out it was the battery! Bit annoyed that both Halfords and Allparts said the battery was good when it clearly wasn't. Wish I'd just taken it down to my dealer in the first place and this would have been sorted ages ago.

Final result, took it to my dealer who have replaced the battery free of charge as it was still under warranty, so the only real cost has been for the auto electrician but don't mind that as it's nice to have the peace of mind that my car's electrics are fine (plus it was a good excuse to get a few other things done on the car that have been due a long time!)

Ahem , post 14 . Whatever caused the initial problem having a battery drop really low ruins it , it will never be the same again

Lol yep, think someone else mentioned battery as well - those battery tests threw me off totally but I will be getting myself some humble pie for lunch  :blush:

Glad it's sorted mate. Seems odd that Allparts said it was ok, my branch is usually good with things like that.

Don't really get those tests, they could easily have sold me a new battery so telling me it was fine when it wasn't is a bit confusing.

Don't really get those tests, they could easily have sold me a new battery so telling me it was fine when it wasn't is a bit confusing.

All I can think of is the equipment was faulty or they couldn't read it properly?