Splits in sidewall

TheBoy

What can cause this. Its on the inner side, so not rubbed against curb, 3 splits, 3 about 3" long, other shorter, about 5mm deep.

Always correctly inflated.

MOT tester missed it on Friday, it was only noticed by chance on Sunday whilst we were replacing an exhaust... ...and to think the speeds it was doing over the last few days!

Does tyre shine damage the tyre then Tony?

Yes it does if it's petroleum based. There is a chemical conflict between organic fuel and silica based rubber, the silica hardens and there you have it.

I think you are confusing silicon and silicone Tony. Silica are the crystalline materials used in making things like glass, ceramic substrates, computer chips etc. Silicone is a polymer used in elastomeric materials (as in tyres), lubricants, inert liquids (as in breast implants) etc.

• 3 weeks later...

To close this one, I think the amount of 'excitement' the wheel must have suffered to be so far out of true may hold some clues. Opps.

Tyre now scrapped, wish I'd checked the load markings, wonder if it was low, as the Omega is a heavy old tank. Even more so with me sat in it ;D