Wheels-InMotion uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Job Vacancies at Wheels in Motion/Blackboots
  • Trainee/Apprentice.
  • Experienced tyre fitter working ambition to top tech.
  • Experienced geometric analyst willing to undertake training with ambition and motivation.
Please PM Tony or email tony@wheels-inmotion.co.uk

Photo
- - - - -

Rich's 1999 MX5 1.8i S

• Please log in to reply
236 replies to this topic

#221 OFFLINE   Tony

Tony

Founder of WIM!

• Founder
  • 56,328 posts
  • Vehicle:Honda

Posted 19 July 2017 - 03:36 PM

If it's got a cat then the lamber censor is worth checking.

#222 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • 31,038 posts
  • Vehicle:Honda Accord 2.4 Tourer and MX5 MK2

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:27 AM

I bought one of the LED fault diagnosing wires which arrived yesterday. I used the bridging wire to set base idle again, which for some reason had changed quite a bit from the last time I did it.

When I plugged the LED in to check for error codes it wasn't working properly, it didn't even come on for 3 seconds to show it was in diagnostic mode. It has to be connected to +B (a direct feed to the battery) and FEN. Removing the bridge between GND and TEN, which overrides the ECU turned the LED on but it stayed on and didn't go out.

Nothing happened when I tried MEN and +B to check the switches, i.e. press the brake pedal and the LED turns on, lift off and it goes out.

Searching Google didn't find me any answers but I did come across one thread where others had the same issue but no solution. The diagnostic box in mine is the grey one, which doesn't have the terminal layout in the lid like the black ones do. Although apparently the pin configuration is exactly the same.

It's so annoying cos I don't know if there are any codes stored or not.

I did clean the MAF yesterday although it looked cleaned anyway but it seems to have made the car feel a little more responsive. The air filter fitted it the pipercross one and I noticed there was some oily gunk underneath it but it's not clogged up. I'm wondering if I should change it for a paper one, I know some of the filters with oil on can cause MAF problems.

#223 OFFLINE   Tony

Tony

Founder of WIM!

• Founder
  • 56,328 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:04 PM

You have no luck with these things do you :(

#224 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • 31,038 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:31 PM

It's annoying as this is the only way to find fault codes. Apparently if an aftermarket immobiliser or alarm is fitted it can interfere with it. It does have an alarm fitted but it's not used. I'm wondering if that is causing an issue.

On the plus side the car made it to Norfolk even though it took over 4 hours. Left early to beat the traffic and it was like rush hour the whole way!!

#225 OFFLINE   Tony

Tony

Founder of WIM!

• Founder
  • 56,328 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:53 AM

Oh don't say that i'm going to drive to the Royal Free and then onto Yarmouth and back today :crying_anim02:

#226 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • 31,038 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:30 AM

I thought you were staying the night?

Traffic was a lot heavier than usual, probably down to it being the first day of the summer holidays. I would suggest you use the A1M and A505 rather than the M11, which is usually the worse road to take.

#227 OFFLINE   Tony

Tony

Founder of WIM!

• Founder
  • 56,328 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:43 AM

We was.... Have a read of "help me find a car" and it will explain all.

#228 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • 31,038 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 10:50 AM

I'm not sure if the car is running rich or not, I averaged 35mpg when away including a few blasts down the lanes. Maybe the tank of fuel was dodgy and the short trips I do don't help but I have never got mpg that low before.

#229 OFFLINE   NickT

NickT

Dedicated Club Poster

• Basic Member
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:05 AM

Have you checked the engine coolant temp sensor (the one that the ecu references) as if they are out of calibration or open circuit, this doesn't necessarily bring a warning code on and the car will assume that the engine is cold ie over fuel.

Usually there's a resistance vs temperature chart and measurement should ideally be at the ecu plug, to verify that the wiring to/from the sensor is ok.

Good luck

#230 OFFLINE   Tony

Tony

Founder of WIM!

• Founder
  • 56,328 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 03:48 PM

Does it pop and bang on overrun... A sure sign of over fuelling.

#231 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • 31,038 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:35 AM

Have you checked the engine coolant temp sensor (the one that the ecu references) as if they are out of calibration or open circuit, this doesn't necessarily bring a warning code on and the car will assume that the engine is cold ie over fuel.

Usually there's a resistance vs temperature chart and measurement should ideally be at the ecu plug, to verify that the wiring to/from the sensor is ok.

Good luck

This is why I got the LED bulb to try and get any codes off (there is no OBD2 port/CEL) but it doesn't want to work on the car for some reason. I am no good at using a multimeter and the coolant sensor is about £35 for a Mazda one and £12 I think for aftermarket. I am planning on replacing it anyway to see if it makes a difference. I'll probably also do the oxygen sensor.

Does it pop and bang on overrun... A sure sign of over fuelling.

I don't think so, not that I've noticed anyway.

#232 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • 31,038 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 09:27 AM

Car passed the MOT last week :)

I've only done 1000 miles in the last year! :(

I had to charge the battery up because I hadn't used it for about 5 weeks. I think I need to fit one of those cut off switches for when I'm not using it otherwise I'm going to kill the battery.

#233 OFFLINE   Steve-O

Steve-O

Dedicated Club Poster

• Gold Member
  • 1,694 posts
  • Vehicle:Supercharged 1.8 MX5

Posted 02 October 2017 - 10:37 AM

Congrats, hardy little buggers, its the rust that'll cause grief at MOT time generally.

I think i need a cut off on mine also really as i think i have ruined my S5 Bosch battery by letting it go flat too many times. Would be interested to see what you go for!

#234 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • 31,038 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 11:10 AM

Yeah he said I need to get my rear sills done before the next one. I was going to get them done this year but have been too busy and then the Accord was playing up so I had to use the car for work. I'll wait until spring next year now.

Still got water getting in to the boot. On the left I think it's getting in over or under the lid seal and is running down the carpet trim. It's then going into the storage tray and underneath it. It's also still getting in on the other side and sitting under the battery tray but I have no idea how it's getting in on that side. I might have to drill a small hole under the tray so the water can at least drain out.

For the cut off switch I'll probably get this - https://www.mx5parts...-25-p-1657.html

I'll still remove the battery over winter and bring it inside.

#235 OFFLINE   Tony

Tony

Founder of WIM!

• Founder
  • 56,328 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 08:52 AM

You could coat the boot with something like talc to see where the water is coming in?

#236 OFFLINE   Steve-O

Steve-O

Dedicated Club Poster

• Gold Member
  • 1,694 posts
  • Vehicle:Supercharged 1.8 MX5

Posted 03 October 2017 - 03:22 PM

Don't get the cutoff from MX5 parts mate - you can get them cheaper off amazon etc. They are all the same thing when you look at them.

I'm going to get one myself for the winter but just unsure how i'll crimp the wires and terminate them....

#237 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • 31,038 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 03:34 PM

Yeah I've seen them cheaper since, I was reading this earlier and will probably do the same, shouldn't need to crimp anything then.

http://www.mazdamend...hp?f=119&t=6626

Tony, I know the general area it's getting in from I just can't see where, I need to strip the boot again. I'm suspecting the boot lid seal is playing a part in it so will look for a replacement and go from there.