Rich's 1999 MX5 1.8i S

Rich

I think the S6 is too large for where it's located. Talking to Iain, apparently the guy he bought the car from fitted a new battery so it can't be that old. I'm hoping a good charge will sort it out and I won't need a battery at the moment.

I finally got a spare key cut yesterday, the transponder chip needed cloning too so I went to Timpsons who did it for £40, which I thought wasn't bad. At least I have a spare key now should I need it :)

"longer to start now although it does turn over first time" in my book isn't the battery?..... A slow turn over -V- voltage maybe but a non starter with reasonable crank points elsewhere Rich? 

Well I don't know if this is related but when I left work earlier I started the car and it died 2 seconds later! I turned the ignition off and tried it again, this time it idled. I'll see what it's like tomorrow but any ideas on what can cause that just in case it gets worse?

Yeah I know, hopefully it's a one off and doesn't happen again. Once the car goes back to being a weekend toy and not a daily runner I'll be stripping the throttle body and IACV to clean them properly. I also think the MAF sensor could possibly cause this too?

It should've twigged before but I didn't, I think it's the new key!

I got it done last Thursday and I'm using it instead of the genuine one as that feels abit fragile. I used it last Friday and Monday with no problems, then Tuesday is when it cut out. Wednesday was ok, I didn't use the car yesterday and this morning it cut out twice after starting. I took the key out, looked at it and then realised it must be the chip playing up and the mobiliser is kicking in! Got the genuine key and that worked fine  :rolleyes:

Looks like I'm going back to Timpsons then. He said it would either work or it won't, so when it was ok for the first 2 days I thought it was fine.

I don't know the actual price but from what I've reader on the forums it's not cheap, the majority use Timpsons for spare keys that have transponder chips.

Just talking to the missus about this and apparently the guy said don't put it near anything magnetic, I don't think I heard him. Those new locks we got have magnetic keys!!

I don't have them on the same ring but they are together on my desk and when I get home.

I'll have to go back and get them to look at it. Try it for a week and then keep it as a spare.

The ABS key is not of itself magnetic, nor is it made from a magnetic material, but it has two small magnets set into the line of depressions that move the locking pins into the correct position for the lock to open i.e one of the pins is moved magnetically. It is supposed to resist the technique of "bumping" locks.

If you run a steel paper clip along the length of the key it is attracted to the key only at the point where the magnets have been inserted.

It's still pretty strong though, put the key in your pocket with change and it sticks to it. What I don't understand is it's not affected the Mazda and Accord chip or Civic when we had it.

• 4 months later...

I took the battery out to charge it so decided to inspect the boot floor and I'm glad I did. There was some moisture underneath the tray, which has caused rust on the recess it sits on. I think it might be the rear lights that is letting water in but it looks like you can't buy new seals for the MK2, only the MK1.

This is what the boot looked like once I had removed all of the trim and carpets.

mx5_boot_rust_before_01.jpg

mx5_boot_rust_before_02.jpg

mx5_boot_rust_before_03.jpg

mx5_boot_rust_before_04.jpg

If you look in-line with the yellow plug half way down you can see a dry water line.

mx5_boot_rust_before_05.jpg

mx5_boot_rust_before_06.jpg

After a vacuum, cleaned with APC and a wire brush on the rusty bits. I haven't treated under the battery tray yet, I'll probably get some Bilt Hamber to use on it once I've stop the water leaking in.

mx5_boot_rust_after_clean_01.jpg

mx5_boot_rust_after_clean_02.jpg

mx5_boot_rust_after_clean_03.jpg

mx5_boot_rust_after_clean_04.jpg

mx5_boot_rust_after_clean_05.jpg

mx5_boot_rust_after_clean_06.jpg

mx5_boot_rust_after_clean_07.jpg

I don't like the centre console that comes with the MK2, especially the cup holder so I bought a MK2.5 one and fitted that yesterday. Although my coffee flask is quite tall and it still gets in the way of my arm a bit, it is much better and doesn't move around now. I just need to sort the window switch, a couple of tabs are broken so it hasn't clicked in to place. It did come with the MK2.5 switch but they're wired up differently so it doesn't work properly.

mx5_centre_console_before.jpg

mx5_centre_console_after.jpg

mx5_centre_console_comparison.jpg

When I removed the old console there was some kind of sensor in the storage compartment, there is no hole in the new one for it so does it look like something for an aftermarket alarm? I didn't reconnect it.

mx5_sensor.jpg

Nice catch on the boot water, i'd wirebrush that off and treat - you could rattle can it with a paint match.

On the rear light sills in the mean time - try a liberal smearing of vaseline on them - might be enough to close them up whilst you source now seals. I know on mine they are a foam that can flatten off over time.

That looks like a connection for a cobra alarm , you connect one of these in it if your remote fails

Thanks, so I don't need it then, the key fobs for the alarm are long gone. I removed the parts for the remote central locking last year cos they were stopping the locks from working properly. 

Nice catch on the boot water, i'd wirebrush that off and treat - you could rattle can it with a paint match.

On the rear light sills in the mean time - try a liberal smearing of vaseline on them - might be enough to close them up whilst you source now seals. I know on mine they are a foam that can flatten off over time.

I have wire brushed it already but the dremel needs to come out to take the rest of it off or I might get some detox gel first to try, it worked brilliantly on the Mondeo.

I haven't actually taken the rear lights off yet, they might not even have any seals, I find it strange you can't buy them. However, I have found these mounting point gaskets so it might be these that need replacing - http://www.mx5parts.co.uk/rear-lamp-gasket-mazda-mk2-25-p-1944.html

I emailed MX5 parts and they confirmed these gaskets are the seals for the rear lights and if worn can let water in. I've bought 6 of them to do both sides. Hopefully it's those and not something else.

I fitted these yesterday, they are so much smaller than the photo on MX5 Parts! Expensive for £11, I probably could've found something similar in the hardware shop.

These are the only thing stopping water getting in from the rear lights though, there is no other seal apart from the large grommet for the wiring loom but that was ok. There is a large gap between where the lights sit and the where the bumper meets the body work, so I'd imagine a lot of water escapes down there.

I just need to order the stuff to sort the rusty areas now.

mx5_new_light_gaskets.jpg

mx5_old_new_light_gaskets.jpg

mx5_light_gasket_location.jpg