Breakdown & Accident Kit

I have a few bits in my car like a torch and hammer/seat belt cutter but after what happened on Saturday it made me realise the missus didn't have anything in her car. So I want to make 2 proper kits to keep in both cars just in case anything like this happens again, hopefully it won't. I've looked at ready made kits and I think they're expensive for what you get plus any one kit doesn't contain all of what I want.

So lets make a list of what is essential for the kit and where you can buy them from.

1. Warning Triangle
  2. Torch
  3. Paper/Pen
  4. Disposable Camera
  5. Foil blankets (1 per seat)
  6. High Vis Jacket (1 per seat)
  7. Hammer/Seatbelt Cutter
  8. Fire Extinguisher
  9. First Aid Kit

1. Warning Triangle
  2. Torch
  3. Paper/Pen
  4. Disposable Camera
  5. Foil blankets
  6. High Vis Jacket

]High Vis Jacket

One for each seat in the car.

Whistle, see below.

Also, I'd have the recovery vehicle parked before the vehicle being repaired, that way an empty vehicle gets hit and not the car being worked on.

Also, had to chage the charger belt once on the side of the motorway, traffic wombles turned up with the instructions "If you hear a whistle, dive over the barrier", one of the wombles spent his time watching the traffic whistle at the ready, incase someone decided the hardshoulder was the best place to drive. Their vehicle was placed before mine on the hard shoulder providing a barrier for any wayward vehicle!

h

I have a few bits in my car like a torch and hammer/seat belt cutter but after what happened on Saturday it made me realise the missus didn't have anything in her car. So I want to make 2 proper kits to keep in both cars just in case anything like this happens again, hopefully it won't. I've looked at ready made kits and I think they're expensive for what you get plus any one kit doesn't contain all of what I want.

So lets make a list of what is essential for the kit and where you can buy them from.

1. Warning Triangle
  2. Torch
  3. Paper/Pen
  4. Disposable Camera
  5. Foil blankets
  6. High Vis Jacket

dunno about camera nowadays as most people have a phone with one and as for the hammer seatbelt cutter you would need to have it within reach and often if things are that bad you are better waiting for the emergency services

Add first aid kit though , fire extinguisher and a high vis waistcoat for each passenger not just one

High Vis Jacket

One for each seat in the car.

Whistle, see below.

Also, I'd have the recovery vehicle parked before the vehicle being repaired, that way an empty vehicle gets hit and not the car being worked on.

Also, had to chage the charger belt once on the side of the motorway, traffic wombles turned up with the instructions "If you hear a whistle, dive over the barrier", one of the wombles spent his time watching the traffic whistle at the ready, incase someone decided the hardshoulder was the best place to drive. Their vehicle was placed before mine on the hard shoulder providing a barrier for any wayward vehicle!

h

Good idea, I'm sure you can buy them in multiple packs.

I've seen the recovery trucks do that on the motorway when helping broken down drivers but I don't think a good samaritan would want to do that, plus we were using his side lights to help us see it was that dark.

dunno about camera nowadays as most people have a phone with one and as for the hammer seatbelt cutter you would need to have it within reach and often if things are that bad you are better waiting for the emergency services

Add first aid kit though , fire extinguisher and a high vis waistcoat for each passenger not just one

I read that if you need to use photographs as evidence digital ones might not be accepted cos they're easy to manipulate, that's why film is better.

I have a seat belt cutter in my centre console so it's within arms reach, handy to have though as you may need to use it on another vehicle, not just your own.

Forgot the first aid kit and extinguisher, will add those....what's the best one to get though for the later?

Piece of paper ( shrink wrapped ) with insurance company phone number and policy no, breakdown phone no, relatives to be contacted with phone numbers and maybe addresses ( if you don't carry it in wallet ).

If car rolls over everything falls out ( believe me I've been there ) so ensure items are fixed down in some way.

Piece of paper ( shrink wrapped ) with insurance company phone number and policy no, breakdown phone no, relatives to be contacted with phone numbers and maybe addresses ( if you don't carry it in wallet ).

If car rolls over everything falls out ( believe me I've been there ) so ensure items are fixed down in some way.

Good suggestions there Steve.

That's another thing a good bag or box to put it in and strapped to the side of the boot.

Has a fire extinguisher been suggested?..... Reason i ask is a member in the Omega forum lost his car to fire recently and the BMW E39 is prone to fire in the snow :D

Yes it's in the list in the first post :)

Why are they prone to fire in the snow? :P

Some mints, bottle of water ?

Yeah drink is a good one for long trips...what would mints offer though? I always carry chewing gum on me though.

• 10 months later...

You never did post that link Tony!! :D

Anyway, I'm looking at making sure the cars are equipped for winter. Both our cars have warning triangles and high vis jackets, albeit only the one. I need to get some foil blankets but not sure what to get, don't want ones that will rip easily!

Also thinking about a compact shovel but as we both have winter tyres it might not be needed? We only drive locally so could walk if needed but I want these for when I drive to Essex.

Saw the AA winter kit on Amazon for £13.99...what do you think?

Re: Torch, you may want to look at a wind-up charger head torch (like this)

A bag to put the stuff in - though you may find that having a bag for breakdowns and a seperate ones for accidents is a good idea, since a lot of things won't get used.

Camera

For winter travel you should also take a shovel, broom and blankets.

Autosocks and/or winter tyres of course.

I haven't tried the foil blankets, but they seem more trouble than a proper one, though of course it would depend on how much room is in the car.

Here's a question - is it worth taking a tool kit? I might suggest a range of circlips, screws, electrical insulation tape, rope/ string, fuses and bulbs and a screwdriver - anything else will probably need a garage anyway.

ttfn

Some good links there Gamith, I like the head torch, would come in handy that :sad01_anim:

I already carry a toolkit, always have done, along with fuses, air compressor, WD40 and some other bits and bobs.

Everyone seems to be selling those studded ice grippers ATM, might get some to try.

Why not just put an AA or RAC card in your wallet :rolleyes:

Never leave home without it, I've always had one but it's no substitute for carrying some emergency supplies. When you breakdown on the M25 in the middle of winter at midnight and have to wait an hour and half for the recovery truck a torch and blanket would come in handy :smile_anim:

I had another thought - and it should go with the shovel and broom 'winter set'...

a pair of wellies... a simple but effective way to keep your feet dry when caught out in bad weather.

The beauty of the head torch is that it frees up both hands to do things and you don't need batteries since it's a wind-up type - that particular one has 3 LEDs and the on button is used to select either one or all three LEDs.

ttfn

Oh yeah - I also carry an RAC card, but if it's a small problem then you an normally sort out a solution quicker than they can get to you.