Lancer Evo 6

liner33

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a loose bolt that had ended up inside the water pump pulley , general consensus is that its one of the bolts that hold the cam cover on but none are missing , cant find any other holes anywhere so i suspect when the belts were done about 1000miles ago they dropped a bolt and couldnt find it so simply found a new one

Quite how it managed to get inside the pulley must have been a 100/1 shot but it was certainly a worrying time

• 1 month later...

Bugger :thumbsup_anim:

Had a very slight noise from the car when cold traced it to cyl 4 so did a health check

Compression results (cold)

Cyl 4 = 160psi

Cyl 3 = 170 psi

Cyl 2 = 165psi

Cyl 1 = 168psi

Leakdown @ 50psi (cold)

Cyl 4 = 16%

Cyl 3 = 2%

Cyl 2 = 2%

Cyl 1 = 8%

Most telling was borescope pic from no 4 :shake:

Image4.jpg

Compared to No1

Imagecyl1-1.jpg

Took the pics down thanks to haters on the MLR forum

Suffice to say its goosed , piston is damaged and has scored the bore and the head is damaged

Its borderline repairable but may work out cheaper to fit a later engine

If its repairable then better pistons and rods will be fitted which can support 500hp or the later engines can support 420-430 safely so its not all bad

Damage from some time back before i owned it it mustve detted and broke the tip from the spark plug which then rattled around the cyclinder

Eventually the piston started to fail and was just starting to leak under the top ring

Only issue was a rattle (piston slap) when cold but didnt sound bad at all and was fine when hot

Still hit the 150mph and 386hp like this so high hopes when its run it

• 4 weeks later...

Ok long overdue update

I had a tapping noise when cold since i bought the car three years ago , since these are rattly engines when cold anyway i didnt really worry about it as it went within seconds as the car warmed up and the car always performed well, i'd changed the lash adjusters and oil a few times of course

Following the MLR 30-130 where the car again performed faultlessly i decided to give the engine a good health check

Compression results (cold)

Cyl 4 = 160psi

Cyl 3 = 170 psi

Cyl 2 = 165psi

Cyl 1 = 168psi

Leakdown @ 50psi (cold)

Cyl 4 = 16%

Cyl 3 = 2%

Cyl 2 = 2%

Cyl 1 = 8%

So whilst the compression results were ok the leakdown called for further investigation and a borescope confirmed damage to number 4 piston

Car was driven to Autotorque (Still drove perfectly) for Chris and the team to remove the head and check the engine

Damage was found to the piston and head but more importantly the bore was slightly scored, the damage probably occurred before i bought the car and gradually got worse over time

2495301d.jpg

The decision was made to fit a low mileage Evo 8 MR engine rather than go forged . Someone contacted me as he knew of a good engine for sale from a well known MLR car that had met a grisly end

So a 46k 8 mr engine from a fq320 was delivered to Autotorque

engine1.jpg

openheart.jpg

As well as fitting the engine and swapping all my bling goodies over Chris gave it a full service and also changed the oils on the transfer box, gearbox and diff . He fitted some new superpro bushes to the diff mounts as i had a knock on gear change and they were found to be a little worn and also powdercoated the north/south car and cross brace while they were off.

northsouth1.jpg

northsouth.jpg

underside.jpg

So all back to normal

P1010072.jpg

I got Chris to swap over the injectors and throttle body so mapping would be more straightforward and after a few logs i upped the boost a little to take advantage of those stronger rods and its happy as could be , probably got that magic 400/400 now but saying that my old engine did 390/390 with a damaged piston so perhaps its a little more

• 1 month later...

Time for a change i think , while the car was away having its new engine i didnt miss it and have hardly driven it since its been back, did give it a good clean though and a coat of rainforest rub with is the first Dodo wax i've liked

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3998338.htm

P1010146.jpg

P1010137.jpg

P1010133.jpg

• 1 month later...