Horror of the week 09/ 06/ 10

Tony

I can't give to many details about this horror because it's still legally being fought.

Second Hand Civic bought from a dealer with a clear HPI, initial concerns was a pull left and later the need to replace the NSF drive shaft due to a CV joint failure. At it's first "still low mileage" MOT the car failed on excessively worn front tyres and a note that the NSF drive shaft was oddly positioned.

The owner decided to have an AA inspection of the car that concluded it had been in an accident and extensively repaired, only one panel on the entire car was original or not repaired. It was also noted the car pulled left and that the NSF drive shaft was offline.

post-2-1276100421.jpg

post-2-1276100433.jpg

Main concerns are the NSF camber/ castor positions, these explain the wear and the pull. There was evidence the lower arms/ drive shaft had been replaced, as well as a repair to the chassis it's self ( unable to show images ) measurements of wheelbase and setback proved the unsprung chassis was damaged but the ( location holes ) where aligned so there is an issue with the chassis pickup points..... In summery it's bent.

Sad thing about this is this car was a replacement from the dealer who sold them a car before that turned out to be damaged, they now claim she must have hit something?

I'm in a position to disagree with this because the car on purchase had 3k on it, at 6k it needed a NSF drive-shaft, the current position of the drive-shaft suggests accelerated wear.

The owners intentions is to hand the car back to the dealer..... I for one wish her the best of luck.

So now there's scientific proof that the car's all off? Sounds like a really dodgy dealer if this is the second accident damaged car to come through.........did you say it was a main dealer? Has she been in touch with Honda UK as that's the first thing I'd do.

I wish her the best of luck :cool02:

That is a nightmare and a horror story ...i thought that if the chassis was bent its classed as a "write off".....also the AA said it was unfit for the road so WHY are they still saying there nothing wrong with the car.? and selling it.... are they idiots.?

When i damaged my old 53 plate lexus IS200 i hit a lamp post in the snow and the panels where damaged but the chassis was "bent" and they said if it wasnt for the chassis they would of repaired my car.?

But as it was it was classed as a "write off"

The car was HPI checked and come up clear. The reason the AA said it was unfit to drive was because the CV joint is so laboured in it's perpendicular position, so the shaft on full lock could actually come out.

The car was HPI checked and come up clear. The reason the AA said it was unfit to drive was because the CV joint is so laboured in it's perpendicular position, so the shaft on full lock could actually come out.

Who did the HPI check the people buying the car i surpose..? Also if it was in a bad accident it would have been classed as an A,B,C,D or what ever on the HPI report ( unless it was done on the sly )

Dont the dealership or car salesman have an obligation to tell the intended buyers that the car had been in a previous accident..?

Mmmmmm......something definitely funny going on.. :tongue2: :cool02:

Id still be inclined to contact trading standards,Honda Uk/japan etc....maybe watchdog.and really kick up a fuss.

At least you have found the proof the car is dodgy, can't believe the dealer is still trying to get out of it though! I would definitely take it further for selling a death trap and potentially endangering her life and other road users.

You'd be surprised how many new cars are repaired before they get delivered to customers.

If a car is repaired there is no reason for it to show on HPI. It just tells you if its been written off unless i have missed something.

I think the point being made is that this car has chassis damage which correct me if I'm wrong but is pretty much always a write off?

I believe the HPI report is only valid in the UK, If its an Import there will be no record on the HPI report. Its also very hard to trace the history of an imported vehicle.

Either that or it was not recorded some how? If its had the amount of work you say it has, i.e. only 1 origonal panel left, it could very be a very good ringer.

The owner asked me to produce a report on the calibration, which i did since this is non-hostile

Identaty removed

Chassis image

Geometry image proved a front transverse and longitudinal displacement of the the sub frame

Secondary assessment

Wheelbase and setback positions prove the displacement is in the unsprung chassis.

In summery

The geometry positions and evidence of replacement parts conclude previous attempts have been made to resolve to a distressed chassis. It's in my opinion the anchor points are not aligned further extending the complaint. The cars history suggests issues with the near side front drive shaft that needed replacement, this is consistent with the current position of the drive shaft and it's longitudinal position and relationship with the constant velocity joint. It is in my opinion there are obvious signs of repair and I strongly urge that this car is not driven in it's current condition due to drive shaft detachment and or the belayed steering return during a left turn.

I hope this helps

Regards

Tony@ wim

Honda are yet to reply.

Thats pretty serious stuff :lol:.

did you send the above to HUK or did you go straight to HJP ?

Reason being, in past issues Honda Japan pride themselfs in a good quality product and hate to see something returned to a customer that does not meet their set criteria.

Unfortunately since Honda have started producing in Swindon, the Civic , HRV and a few others of their range have dropped in build quality and really is noticable.

I myself Own an accord (7th gen) and all accords are made in Japan, same with the S2000 and a few others and purchased the accord over the civic for this reason.

You probably know what your doing so i wont teach you how to suck eggs, but dont give HUK any slack.

If Honda want to send out an inspector / mechanic to see this vehicle it may be worth asking if you can request some one.

ask for the master tech from Holdcroft Honda in Stoke on trent, top bloke and seriously knows his stuff. :D