The Bilt Hamber Treatment

Rich

Looking good mate, you could use the high build primer if you want to give it a bit more thickness?

Just make sure you feather the edges of the primer before the top coat goes on mate, so that it doesnt leave the masking marks :huh:

Great improvement though on how it was :huh:

Looking good mate, you could use the high build primer if you want to give it a bit more thickness?

Just make sure you feather the edges of the primer before the top coat goes on mate, so that it doesnt leave the masking marks :huh:

Great improvement though on how it was :rolleyes:

Another update, I decided to do the arch on the other side seeing that we had nice weather over the weekend :o

First up here's the sill all painted. I've had to redo the scrape as I went through the paint when I sanded it down ready for the clearcoat. I don't think I put enough coats on TBH but as I've said this is the first kind of spraying I've done so it's a learning curve. I found out about the feathering afterwards, I should've peeled the tape back as I sprayed but never mind.

I probably should have used some filler where the rust had pitted the metal but as most of it is covered by the door I should get away with it.

Painted sill

sill_painted_01.jpg

sill_painted_02.jpg

Next job was the rear arches. I used kurust 2 years ago on some rusty areas and painted with hammerite smooth. This is what they looked like the weekend and as you can see it did a good job!!

Before

osr1_before_01.jpg

osr2_before_01.jpg

nsr1_before_01.jpg

nsr2_before_01.jpg

Rubbed down with a wire brush

osr1_during_01.jpg

osr2_during_01.jpg

nsr1_during_01.jpg

nsr2_during_01.jpg

Dynax after 24 hours

osr1_after_01.jpg

osr2_after_01.jpg

nsr1_after_01.jpg

nsr2_after_01.jpg

Sprayed the Dynax behind the arch lip as well as in the corner

osr_dynax_01.jpg

Also used the tube to spray inside the cavity and for those of you wondering the holes are in the side of the tube. So it sprays at 360 degrees, not straight out of the end.

dynax_can_01.jpg

dynax_sillcavity_01.jpg

Next job was the underneath, mainly around the spare wheel. Only thing I moaned about was there is no tubing that sprays out of the end to get the Dynax right in the corner. Holding the can horizontally means it doesn't come out but I managed to angle it to spray in the corners.

Before

underneath_before_01.jpg

Hydrate 80 after a rub down

underneath_hydrate_01.jpg

Dynax with the flash!

underneath_dynax_01.jpg

Without the flash

underneath_dynax_02.jpg

underneath_dynax_03.jpg

Last job for the weekend was the rust on the other sill. Decided to just strip all of it back. Once I did this used the grinding stones to remove any good paint and loose rust. Spot the hole...eek!! :huh:

Before

archrust_before_01.jpg

archrust_before_02.jpg

archrust_before_03.jpg

archrust_before_04.jpg

archrust_before_05.jpg

When it came to applying the gel I found it easier to do a section at a time. There is no way you can get it thick enough on this area without it dripping off. Made a line in the cling film and then taped it in place so it was pressing against the rust. God knows what people thought when I was driving to work! :rolleyes:

With the gel

archrust_detoxgel_01.jpg

archrust_detoxgel_02.jpg

archrust_detoxgel_03.jpg

archrust_detoxgel_04.jpg

I am leaving this on for 48 hours and then will just reapply it to the areas that need it.

Another update

I left the gel on for 4 days this time as I didn't get the chance after work to do anything. It seems to have got rid of all of it, there may be abit of corrosion left at the bottom near the sill so I've put some more gel on. Will fill that hole in Saturday and paint it all with Hydrate 80. After this I've got a pea size spot of rust I want to sort and that will be it before winter :rolleyes:

archrust_after_01.jpg

archrust_after_02.jpg

archrust_after_03.jpg

archrust_after_04.jpg

archrust_after_05.jpg

From what i saw of the car today you are making some remarkable inroads with the rust and a top blog to boot :D

Cheers, it's brilliant stuff :lol: Just need to work on my spraying technique! :)

I've nearly finished with the gel now, have half a tub left so can you let Tony know if he wants to try it I'll bring it over :huh:

From what i saw of the car today you are making some remarkable inroads with the rust and a top blog to boot :lol:

Cheers, it's brilliant stuff :lol: Just need to work on my spraying technique! :lol:

I've nearly finished with the gel now, have half a tub left so can you let Tony know if he wants to try it I'll bring it over :)

wow didn't realise you had been doing all this. Thought it was just the one side from what you showed me last week. Couldn't even see that there had been rust on the arch/sill. Tidy job :)

wow didn't realise you had been doing all this. Thought it was just the one side from what you showed me last week. Couldn't even see that there had been rust on the arch/sill. Tidy job :)

Cheers mate, it's been a busy month and I've had all the interior out as well - See here :D

Filled that hole in today and painted the arch with Hydrate 80, not much more to do now. I suppose the real test will be to see what it's like after winter/in a years time :)

Will get the photos of the hole up tomorrow, too knackered now as I was up at 6am to watch the F1!! :)

• 2 months later...
Any more updates matey, come on a long way since i was last on here, all looking very good though B)

I checked it last week when I washed the car and arch/sills are looking great. No signs of any rust coming through, I'm just abit disappointed with my crap spraying technique! :snorkle: The real test will be after winter and I've not had the chance to check the underneath yet, plus it's too cold.

Next year I have abit more rust (5p size) to remove on the sill side and then I will get that whole area sprayed properly so it blends in.

nice 1 mate....you love that car to much man....maybe you wore the paint away polishin it every day hence its started to rust lol.....i hope you rubbed down them arches before you topcoated them :(

• 5 months later...

Well it's been 8 months since I first treated the sill and here are the results. As you can see there are no signs of the rust reappearing, bubbling or change in colour. Compared to what I've used before, namely kurust, which did absolutely nothing for the rust I have in the arches I am VERY impressed with how this has worked. So for anyone who does have doubts about these products hopefully this will help change your mind :huh:

sill_june10_01.jpg

sill_june10_02.jpg

nice 1 mate....you love that car to much man....maybe you wore the paint away polishin it every day hence its started to rust lol.....i hope you rubbed down them arches before you topcoated them :o

Look after your car mate and it will look after you :lol: Yes I rubbed the arches down but my spraying is rubbish! :o

That is amazing, both the level of work you put in and also the way those products have worked. Fantastic results :huh:

Yep it's great stuff, hopefully it will keep it at bay for a few years at least :)