Where's my kitchen gone!

Having a new kitchen, boiler and bathroom fitted over the next 3 weeks. I went to work this morning and came home to this!

The next few weeks are gonna be hell...they decided to do it at the start of the kids summer holiday as well!! :(

kitchen1.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That bed looks a bit small....... "snigger"... :)

:) :(

The bit grey pipe in the corner, they had to remove asbestos from there! The missus said they were inside some kind of tent doing it! ;)

That bed looks a bit small....... "snigger"... :)

:) :(

The bit grey pipe in the corner, they had to remove asbestos from there! The missus said they were inside some kind of tent doing it! ;)

Bet the neighbours thought it was a crime scene, what with the tent and all :)

How's the crime scene going :huh:

They fitted a new boiler today and gas pipes for cooker as didn't have any before.

They're also doing the bathroom. Stripped all the walls and floor but we have terrible damp as theres's no windows :( So waiting for that to be sorted before they can fit the new suite so no bath/shower now!! :o

Reads like things are moving on, albeit slow. The damps a bit of an issue, any idea why it's damp?

There is an extractor fan in the toilet (it's seperate) which is suppose to suck the condensation out through a vent that goes through the lounge and outside. We've been told it was blowing it back into the bathroom rather than sucking though :o

I don't think that's the main cause though as they had to move 2 families from the block next to us with the same problem. That was at xmas and they still haven't found the cause yet!! I think it's how the flats have been built or it's from the foundations! :huh:

We now the issue's been exposed then they have to deal with it whatever... Bet your looking forward to the end result though :)

Yep will be nice if it's anything like the missus parents kitchen...theirs was finished end of last week.

Yesterday and today they fitted the new boiler and wiring, which had to be routed down the hallway to the fusebox outside in the communal area...the electrcian didn't seem happy about that! :rolleyes:

All the plug sockets, switches etc have been fitted to the kitchen.

They brought a big dehumidifier for the bathroom and there's a good couple of inches of water in the bucket already!! :o It's improved the smell as well, couldn't even go in there yesterday it was so bad! Also fitted an extractor fan into the wall that backs on to the kitchen and we then need one fitted to the window in the kitchen so hopefully this will help alot.

This seem to be turning into a blog now :lol:

New boiler and switches etc

kitchen5.jpg

kitchen6.jpg

kitchen7.jpg

Bathroom yesterday...pretty minging!! :sick01:

bathroom1.jpg

Dehumidifier and extractor fan

bathroom4.jpg

bathroom6.jpg

Wiring down the hall...top right of ceiling

wiring.jpg

Kitch is looking good, you can see the benefits already..... Bathroom is Beirut mate, do they know where the moisture's come from?

Yep they work quick, especially as they're doing 2 other flats here as well. Plastering tomorrow and then I'd imagine the units get fitted next week.

As for the damp it's not their job to find out, they just fit the new units and the housing association aren't really bothered about finding the problem!! :rolleyes: The missus was talking to a neighbour who has lived on the top floor (we're ground) for over 20 years. She said the roof used to be flat before they made it sloping and she came home one day after having torrential rain and her flat was knee deep in water. She had problems drying it out and all these flats suffer with some form of damp. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it though...once mositure get's in does it ever go? I don't have a clue TBH! :sick01:

Well it goes when the Dehumidifier is working so with luck it'll be job done.

Underneath where the bath is it's still very damp so I have a feeling it won't get rid of it completely. They fitted the new bath and sink today, took the bath out and all the plaster was soaked through so the lot got ripped out! This morning the bucket had around 4" of water in it, this afternoon when I came home after it had been emptied and it's up to nearly 2" again!! :rolleyes:

Surely they should not be fitting anything in the bathroom until it's all dried aout?

You would think so but they won't, have to get it finished within the time allocated! TBH I think it would take a long time to dry the concrete out, it's still damp now. Emptied 3 buckets of water now! :lol:

Plastering has been done and units fitted to the kitchen. When they plastered the bathroom they ripped out half the wall around the sink!

The pipe coming out of the extractor fan in the kitchen is going to be extended along the width of it and out of the wall by the window.

It's all taking shape now :rolleyes:

bathroom13.jpg

bathroom15.jpg

bathroom16.jpg

kitchen8.jpg

kitchen9.jpg

kitchen12.jpg

Oh wow, it's all coming together now.... I assume now the bathroom's been plastered that the damp issue has been dealt with.

The walls were dry and alot of it had been ripped out as well. I personally wouldn't have put the side of the bath on as the ground was still abit damp but hopefully that will continue to dry. As I said before they're not bothered about it, even when you have a child living there :rolleyes: It's the contractors who have dealth with it even though it wasn't their job and it's their idea to put the pipe out of the kitchen wall.

We won't be living here forever though, hoping to get a house within a year, although that's being optimistic! Still, we will enjoy the kitchen when it's finished and it may even prompt me to find my love of cooking again :)

• 3 weeks later...

Finished now....couple of bits they have to sort like the leaking washing machine!! :angry2: Think it's the seal on one of the new pipes they connected to the back of the machine. Just gotta clean everywhere now and I mean there's dust EVERYWHERE!!! The missus also made me buy a new cooker to go with the new kitchen! B)

bathroom20.jpg

bathroom25.jpg

bathroom22.jpg

kitchen13.jpg

kitchen14.jpg

kitchen16.jpg

Yep worth the aggro, wouldn't want to do it too many times though!

Very nice mate, looks like a really decent job! Know what you mean about the dust, it does just get everywhere when you have work done! :angry2:

Why the individual taps on the bathroom sink though, won't that be a pain?

Cleaned most of the kitchen now, just gotta put everything back and then clean the rest of the flat!

We had individual taps on the sink before but also the bath, that was a pain! Glad we have a mixer now. Tell you what the shower is more powerful that a power one, didn't realise how much water pressure we have. Had to change the head so all the water comes out of the outer holes not the centre otherwise it feels like you're getting attacked by pins!! B)