Won't be like this for long...

From April they are going to be widening it, which means no more using it as a quick route to Hemel and all the commuters using my local roads as rat runs!! :angry2: The motorway runs behind where the in-laws live as well, so they will have 2 years of noise to suffer with!! :D

Took the photo yesterday when we went over the woods with the dogs.

M25.JPG

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh my word..... this will be chaos, Hemel drivers are still having therapy for the M1 works and now this!!

Starting from J17 - J19 first I think and upto J21.

They were gonna build the camp where the workers stay 2 mins from me...there was uproar around here but they've back down now, looking for somewhere else to build it but all the soil is getting dumped in the farmers field up the road! Link

'thought the Guv was against widening motorways ? Guess you "got lucky" and they chose the motorway near you huh ?

They've already done around Heathrow, when this section and the other are done most of the M25 will be 4 lanes.

Lucky...Mmmm, we will see in a few months time when it takes me twice as long to get to work!

My elderly mum lives close to J18 at Chorleywood, I don't think she knows :angry2:

Chorleywood isn't too close if you're worried about the noise, unless it's right on top of the A404 where it runs over the M25! :lol:

Yes, she is pretty close to the junction / motorway. I'd guess maximum of 300 metres :angry2:

That's pretty close then. Will she be ok with the noise etc?

I'll get a pic from the in-laws garden to show how close it is and it will be getting closer soon!!

Not sure, I mentioned it tonight and she said she knows about it :angry2: I think the nearest bit of the motorway to her is where the road is cut below the normal ground level on her side.

Are they widening it both sides or just take the extra space from one side?

Not sure, I mentioned it tonight and she said she knows about it :sad01_anim: I think the nearest bit of the motorway to her is where the road is cut below the normal ground level on her side.

Are they widening it both sides or just take the extra space from one side?

AFAIK they are increasing it from 3 to 4 lanes both sides.

• 1 month later...

Not much has happened in the last 2 months but they've cut some more trees down although not noticeable compared to the first pic. I've noticed the poles have been put up for the average speed cameras and the cable laid along the edge of the wood. Someone set fire to this 2 weeks ago but they put it out quickly before it spread! :o

m25_2.jpg

They've been strengthening the bridge as well the last 2 odd years, probably longer! Probably takes so long as half the time there's no workers there! :blink:

m25bridge.jpg

Oh my word..... this will be chaos, Hemel drivers are still having therapy for the M1 works and now this!!

:blink: so am i from lst year lol...and i only had a week to put up with it lol

• 3 months later...

Here's the progress so far, seem to be working quite quickly. Also they are extending the bridge picture above, they're closing the road it runs over at night to do the work. Alot of the residence who live next to the motorway in Chorleywood have been complaining the vibration has caused damage to their homes though :lol:

SMARTLY...how has your mum been?

m25_1.jpg

m25_2.jpg

m25_3.jpg

m25_4.jpg

Fortunately she doesn't hear or feel anything from it. I was down a couple of Sundays ago, coming from M40 to Chorleywwod was fine at about 9:45 am, luckily for once I had stopped in the inside lane otherwise I would not have been able to turn off signs were very poor :lol: Going back was a different story about 4 pm, took 30 mins to get to the M40 no accidents just volume. I hate to think what it is like in the rush hour.

That's good to read mate, don't need noise like that for 3 years! I took those photos at 6:45pm so rush hour was dying down. I went to me folks a couple of weeks ago on a Saturday, coming the other way (anti clockwise) there were 14 miles of tailbacks due to the roadworks :lol:

Did you know years ago when the M1 was being widened, i was one of the workers....... not a lot of people know that.

Who do you think you are Michael Caine! :D

I thought you worked in the motor industry for over 25 years so when did you work doing that, in your teens?

M1

I can remember driving up there to Watford when I'd just bought a '59 3.4 Jaguar ( I was 19 ) in London, speedo was on 120 mph ( no speed limit in those days ) and you could see the fuel guage moving ............. downwards .........

Did you know years ago when the M1 was being widened, i was one of the workers....... not a lot of people know that.

Who do you think you are Michael Caine! :D

I thought you worked in the motor industry for over 25 years so when did you work doing that, in your teens?

That's over 30yrs in the motor industry..... 30yrs i say.... I was working for STS at the time, helping to keep the earth movers.... "moving"... yes "bloody moving".

'cos lobbyists will kick off. They'll probably turn the new lane into a bus lane or something ridiculous like that.

On my drive to work there's two bottlenecks. One a large junction where two lines of traffic converge, the other a bloody 300ft buslane, forcing two lanes into one. And you get idiots flying down on the nearside who try to dive in at the last moment.

It's about time they widened motorways if you ask me, but why go through all this hassle for one extra lane? They're such morons and lack vision - when you cause all the aggro that the widening does, why not put in 2 lanes? :o

You make a very good point actually...give it another 10-20 years and 4 lanes probably won't be enough. Mind you, I'd imagine by then the government will have taxed everyone off the road so there will be less cars!! :D