Horror of the week 04/12/08

Tony

Tyre stretching is a new fad amongst the max-power community of trend setters....

The finger in this image shows where the tyres "rim protector" should be

post-2-1228422358.jpg

The protector is just below the letters on the tyre side wall.

Here's two more images showing how stretched the sidewalls are....

post-2-1228422534.jpg

post-2-1228422569.jpg

This condition is incredibly dangerous because there's no lateral pneumatic slip angle, meaning under lateral acceleration the tyres bead could pull away from the rim and suddenly deflate the tyre.

Scarily this modification is legal and an MOT pass :huh: (as far as i know).

Tyre stretching is a new fad amongst the max-power community of trend setters....

seems it goes along with the 'Euro look' scene, i had strech on my lupo, but ive seen some stupid streches. 165/50 on a 7.5-8''

DSCN0292.jpg

DSCN0283.jpg

DSCN0280.jpg

i like that

i do like the euro look :huh:

WHY..?? :huh: i just dont "see" the point in it......yeah would look really good when the tyre splits from the rim and you end up in a brick wall OR WORSE....on a motoway....... :D

Not for me thanks.... :D

I don't get it, I'm probably going to the only one but I don't actually think it looks better when the rim protrudes from the tyre :huh:

It looks like it doesn't fit, which is precisely what it is! Plus yes it must be incredibly dangerous, I'm surprised the tyre even stays there in the first place........

What exactly is the appeal?

I don't get it, I'm probably going to the only one but I don't actually think it looks better when the rim protrudes from the tyre :huh:

It looks like it doesn't fit, which is precisely what it is! Plus yes it must be incredibly dangerous, I'm surprised the tyre even stays there in the first place........

What exactly is the appeal?

Your not alone, i think it looks pants as well, plus it is dangerous...... On the positive side we do wheel refurbishment so happy days :D

This is why I am asking in my other thread if I should be putting wider than 205 on a 7.5" rim. Seeing that Lupo makes me think it wont be that stretched. I was only thinking of 215 on the 7.5" rim cos I like the look of the tyres when they are wider than the rim.

PS I do like that Lupo but its not the look I am after on my "Roadster"

This is why I am asking in my other thread if I should be putting wider than 205 on a 7.5" rim. Seeing that Lupo makes me think it wont be that stretched. I was only thinking of 215 on the 7.5" rim cos I like the look of the tyres when they are wider than the rim.

PS I do like that Lupo but its not the look I am after on my "Roadster"

215mm on a 7.5" is perfectly fine other than the pressure may need adjustment to reduce the tyres slip angle.

With Altezza's, a 215 is factory fit to a 7" and i've seen a few newer ones that have 225 on a 7.5j ,

I have 225 on an 8" rim myself and they're only very slightly stretched as the rears have 245 and it's perfect for the 8j ( factory fit by Lexus on the IS250, not my own assumptions ) :D

• 4 months later...

The reasons most people stretch tyres is because they are then much less likely to foul the arches, when running wide wheels with a low offset.

Also police allegedly only have issues with wheel poking out the arches when the tread is out the arch, so if the tyre is stretched and the tread is inside the arch its legal.

I have little problem with say a 195 45 15 on an 8J rim, but anymore is a little extreme and I wouldn't use them on the road. Mostly because I enjoy driving my car hard on occasions and want the grip/ handling and the knowledge that my insurance isn't void.