horror of the week 6/08/08

Tony

This tyre is from an Audi TT.... The owner had a puncture and since the TT doesn't have a spare tyre he used the "get me home kit" that replaces the spare tyre.... basically an air can with glue in it.

Anyway the result is this allowed/ forced the owner to drive on a damaged tyre.....>

post-2-1218029618.jpg

post-2-1218029651.jpg

post-2-1218029676.jpg

post-2-1218029723.jpg

As you can see the bulge is on the inside, how lucky is the owner that it didn't hit any part of the suspension and blow out!

Bring back the tried and proved good old spare tyre!!

That is shocking to say the least...what is the point of haveing the "Get me home can" if say you have a nail and it comes out ...so you use the can of squirt and all it does is bugger the tyre up.? so you need a new tyre anyway.? waste of time....OR can the tyre be reused?.....as long as the nail or puncture was in the middle (LEGAL ) area of the tyre it could be plugged and reused...?

To me all you need is a small thin spare tyre like most have.....surely that comes into the first design stages of the car from the very start....arnt spare tyres used in the handleing and weight of the car to counter act the weight of the engine suspension etc..?

Wow, have seen one of my tyres bulge before when damaged, but never as bad as that.

May be a stupid question, but what caused that?

Was that where the tyre was damaged/punctured?, was it just the pressure in the can of gas being too much for the tyre?

Thanks

Paul

That is shocking to say the least...what is the point of haveing the "Get me home can" if say you have a nail and it comes out ...so you use the can of squirt and all it does is bugger the tyre up.? so you need a new tyre anyway.? waste of time....OR can the tyre be reused?.....as long as the nail or puncture was in the middle (LEGAL ) area of the tyre it could be plugged and reused...?

To me all you need is a small thin spare tyre like most have.....surely that comes into the first design stages of the car from the very start....arnt spare tyres used in the handleing and weight of the car to counter act the weight of the engine suspension etc..?

The tyre can not be reued after using repair cans, even if the puncture could have been repaired prior to using it.

Omg.....thats shocking.got to have a spare wheel for sure. Makes sence realy :rolleyes: and not 1 of these 3mm wide space savers :angry2: imo there a bit on the dangerous side of things too.

Wow, have seen one of my tyres bulge before when damaged, but never as bad as that.

Was that where the tyre was damaged/punctured?, was it just the pressure in the can of gas being too much for the tyre?

Thanks

Paul

The "get me home kit" re inflated a tyre that had been run on flat.... The tyres inner liner (inner tube) was compromised so the air moved into the tyres constructive layers, in this case the sidewall.

Omg.....thats shocking.got to have a spare wheel for sure. Makes sence realy :rolleyes: and not 1 of these 3mm wide space savers :angry2: imo there a bit on the dangerous side of things too.

A neighbour of mine drove around with the space saver on for nearly a week until they had a new tyre put on the other wheel! :o

Thanks

Paul

The "get me home kit" re inflated a tyre that had been run on flat.... The tyres inner liner (inner tube) was compromised so the air moved into the tyres constructive layers, in this case the sidewall.

Thanks Tony, I understand now :rolleyes:

• 2 years later...