Sign in to follow this  
Rich

Michelin Primacy 4 or Pilot Sport 4

"They" say a lot , but "they" also spout bo++ocks

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Our Nitrogen is dry and inert. Another point is they say the molecule is much larger so less likely to leak through the tyres inner liner or at the bead line.

Absolutely right, but have you looked at the data? There have been various tests that show how little difference it makes.

For example

"Consumer Reports conducted a study comparing nitrogen versus air loss in tires to determine if this benefit of nitrogen was worth the extra cost. They used 31 pairs of various tire models, filled one tire of each pair to 30 psi with air and the other to the same pressure with nitrogen, then left them outside for a year. At the end of the year, they found that all tires lost pressure. The average pressure loss with air was 3.5 psi; with nitrogen the average loss was 2.2 psi – a difference of 1.3 psi over a year".

And of course, if you check your tyre pressures regularly and top up when necessary, there is no difference at all.

Lets suppose that you have a TPMS and you decide to top up when the pressure has fallen by 1 psi. Based on the Consumer Reports figures, if you have air in your tyres, you'll need to top up roughly once in four months. With nitrogen the equivalent figure is about once in six months. Of course, this assumes that you don't get a leaky valve, or a puncture, or decide to change your tyre pressures to correct for tyre wear, or change your "cold" pressure to correct for seasonal changes in ambient temperature, or use a tyre rotation routine that involves changing tyre pressures on front and rear tyres.

And of course if you are using air, any changes are just a question of sticking on that little inflator that we all carry for emergencies.  There are more places offering nitrogen now but it can still be a pain to find one.

Hummm interesting.... So the real world benefit is next to nothing... Just as well we don't charge for it then.

6 hours ago, Tony said:

I know the Vayron uses nitrogen but this form is corrosive resulting in new wheels for every third set of tyres. To me this doesn't make sense because i would think the nitrogen is time dependant rather than tyre dependant.

That only form of nitrogen I know that could be corrosive would be of the nitrogen oxide family but wouldn't know the benefit of filling tyres with it. Nitrogen itself isn't.

I can't see the small advantage over cost for the tyre centre.  Maybe a good marketing ploy to get more people in? If that's the case then it has worked. Also, bear in mind the difference is only in the 22% of other gases in the air as our atmosphere is 78% nitrogen anyway.

I think nitrogen will be the norm given time so long as it's slightly better and free. One area i can say is fact is that air loss in the bead area impregnates the alloy with water ingestion thus corroding the alloy permitting that annoying slow air loss over days. If dry nitrogen reduces that then there is a value over air.