Tesla's latest ad.....

Tony

I've considered them a couple of times but I'm frightened off by the lack of support infrastructure in the UK. My normal weekly journeys would be fine, but, for example, a run up to Scotland and back for a walking holiday appeared to raise real problems.

I've considered them a couple of times but I'm frightened off by the lack of support infrastructure in the UK. My normal weekly journeys would be fine, but, for example, a run up to Scotland and back for a walking holiday appeared to raise real problems.

What you've considered buying one :o

What you've considered buying one :o

The last two times that I have changed my vehicle I have included some all electric options (including Tesla) but none has ticked all my boxes, which is why I chose to stay with Prius but move to the plug-in. The plug-in still falls short of my normal journey needs but it gets close, so I'm waiting with interest to see what the new Prius due in 2016 has to offer and whether there is an improved plug-in version. I would love to move away from petrol altogether, but I won't do so until I can get electricity on the move as easily and quickly as I can get petrol. There is a lot more complication than this, but it cannot be generalised; it depends far too much on the specific needs of the individual.

I looked at the P85D with the 'S' options as an alternative to the Lexus RCF, but it was well over £25K more expensive at nearly £90K. After enquiring about battery life and being told they would likely need a £15K replacement when required, I didn't hold much hope for the trade in or resale values as that date approached. OK, perhaps you don't really need the 0-60 mph in 2.8 seconds, but why not if it's available.

I like the concept though, just a pity it's currently so expensive.

Resale values are currently really strong , with a 8 year and unlimited mileage battery warranty i expect residuals to be pretty good, in most cases its suggested the range might get to 70% of the new battery after 8 years so would still be of use to many people range wise

I recall the same horror stories about Prius though

So the battery price is equivalent to a new engine every 8yrs... That alone would put me off.

Salesman said they'd last 15 years before replacement, but I'd suggest he was being a tad optimistic. However, with battery research & development proceeding at such a pace, you'd probably want to update way before then.

Also most people who buy a new one really dont worry about the cost at year 8 or even more and probably like the Prius there will be companies starting up able to refurb the existing equipment at a much reduced cost 

I always take these stories with a big pinch of salt as I sure most Prius owners have been told exactly the same by someone at some point, I recall when they were launched people saying you had to scrap them after 5 years due to the battery being goosed. I was chatting to the owner of a 53 plate one the other week who had done 160k and was still on the original battery

Saying that residuals do look favourable as demand is high for used models

http://www.valuewalk.com/2015/03/tesla-motors-inc-used-cars-could-unleash-hidden-profits/

I have a test drive booked on a P85d next month, really looking forward to it

Definitely interested to hear your thoughts after this!

I wouldn't say the £100k is overpriced to be honest - what else can do 0-60 in 2.8s, seat 7, has tons of luggage room, and such minimal running costs?

It's expensive as all good things are, but it's pretty decent value for what it is.

I have a test drive booked on a P85d next month, really looking forward to it

Definitely interested to hear your thoughts after this!

I wouldn't say the £100k is overpriced to be honest - what else can do 0-60 in 2.8s, seat 7, has tons of luggage room, and such minimal running costs?

It's expensive as all good things are, but it's pretty decent value for what it is.

Seat 7?

The P85d seats 5 i believe with a 4 seat option