RC Glider

adam_r

Rich...

To be honest i dont know wtf i was doing.

I have the idea of what should sorta go on with this fix. But doing the job the right way... Well we will see how strong it is when shes back in the air.

Tbh i was s***ting myself when i took the dremel to the tail. It was not something i wish to repeat in a hurry.

Also i found out that thr construction of the skin is very interesting.

It uses a 40gsm cloth then a layer of rohacel (is that the right Spelling?) then another layer of 40gsm cloth.

So in essence is essentially a sandwich of 2 layers of glass cloth with some 0.5mm foam in the middle!

Im amazed on how strong it is.

Looks like they make it by lightly wetting a glass sheet. Remove any excess resin. Lay the foam down. Then lay another peice of glass cloth down that has been lightly wetted.

Then they fold this around a mold and vacuum bag it. Very strong yet light way of making a complex shape

I forgot to take a picture of the 'fillet' that has not filled the void. .. I have nowglued that in place and sanded back the paint.... Oh what a flipping joyous task! Had to be very careful not to penetrate the top skin... Which me being me did a dew times :cry:. Anyway. Here is a few progress pics..

post-1956-0-93035900-1436899111.jpg

post-1956-0-75298000-1436899122.jpg

You cant really see the fibre glass layers here..

Basically after sanding yesterday. The surface was prepped with IPA (no not beer) and then the glass cloth was sprayed with a spray mount adhesive. 

It was then cut to size and initially laid out on the surface to check for fitment.

The above was done twice as i had 2 sheets, one covers the majority of the damage plus a 1inch overlap. Then next covered the same plus another 1inch overlap to provide more strength.

I may add another layer tomorrow once this has set and i can determine its strength.

Resin was then mixed and very sparingly applied. Once all the cloth was see through (wetted) i then used a roller to remove any air trapped from pushing resin through the fibre.

Then once thatwas done kitchen roll was then dabbed on the surface to remove as much excess resin as possible.

Hopefully it should dry with a low / no sheen to the surface.

Update tomorrow :)

post-1956-0-49584800-1436986421.jpg

post-1956-0-60528000-1436986432.jpg

post-1956-0-82127500-1436986445.jpg

post-1956-0-08512000-1436986455.jpg

post-1956-0-68616300-1436986475.jpg

post-1956-0-16327100-1436986522.jpg

post-1956-0-00166800-1436986552.jpg

Tony. Its not to bad actually. If tiem is taken is farily simple.

If you use the 3m contact spray on the glass cloth before application it holds everything together and allows you to remove all wrinkles before you get to the stage where resin is applied

Tony the resin isnt a spray!

I used the 3m spray adhesive to give the clothy a 'tacky' surface. This helps it hold together and allows you to lay it down on the surface you want and allow you to reposition it as much as you like.

Once happy with the position you can then mix the resin and apply it via a brush.

That's a tidy looking repair! Hopefully the other side won't go on your next flight!

Going to be doing some fibreglass (Well, really should be using Kevlar ... ) repairs to my Marblehead in the next few weeks, slight hull-deck leak where she's taken a bash a few years ago. Only an issue in high wind though, fortunately! The difficulty is the patch I want to put on needs to go in through a 2" square hole, and is a reasonably tight angle, barely inside the reach of fingers. Then its on with re-fairing both the keels, which have also taken some bumps and bangs along their life, but they are un-painted carbon fibre, so its going to be a bit harder to disguise any repairs, so I may just have to use clear epoxy with no filler or glass, and hope that it holds up under the small amount of flex.

http://i.imgur.com/GDIaGJA.jpg

James

James. Nice boat!

If you need any guidance go on to RCgroups forum. There is a wealth of knowledge on there and they will be able to assist.

As scarey as it sounds, cutting more to gain access to do a repair is better than trying to fiddle about.

Technically i could have repaired mine without cutting but i bet i would have made a complete mess of it.

If your CF is unpainted then i would be tempted to fix the damage then use a light weave cloth and resurface the keel.

Then you can either use a gel coat or resin to seal it.

With regards to the Vtail... I dont think the other side has any issues, there has been no break or damage on that side..

From doing my work, it appears that the side i fixed has broken before so im glad im fixing it properly now :)

Well i tool her up for her first flight after the repair.

I went up to some local cliffs as the wind was a nice steady onshore breeze of around 12mph.

Glider had a 10 second motor run to get her up from hand launch and i was flying for over 80 minutes before i decided to land.

I did record the flight but the camera ran out of battery 50 minutes in to the flight.

I didnt feels comfortable trying put the fpv as i didnt have a watcher.

post-1956-0-51093600-1437317035.jpg

I took my r/c powered glider down from the garage roof yesterday but when I put it all together I found that one of the micro servos had failed.

Its a cheap 3 channel plane anyway by I was shocked at how much a replacement servo was - $3 delivered from Hong Kong!

How can they possible make any money out of stuff like that - even if they sold thousands!

• 1 month later...

Well on my birthday my wife gave me a little quad copter (hubsan x4) its flippinbrilliant.. By far the most fun i have had with any toy ever.

Anyway... I was bitten by the quad bug....

And have built myself this:

Its a 250 size quad.. All carbon frame 25A speed controllers blah de blah.... Anyway..so far i have only taken it out for a few careful hover flights whilst its being set up..

Scarey.... But fun :D

post-1956-0-70637900-1440782353.jpg

post-1956-0-18264400-1440782376.jpg