My custom project... 1965 bug

Shaun@TDi

it is quite deceptive in how bad the corrosion was, it looks a healthy specimen at the start :thumbsup_anim:

cant wait to see the next episode :speak_cool:

nice strides by the way :speak_cool:

nice strides by the way :speak_cool:

If i didn't know any better Bazza, i'd say you were looking at my arse!

:thumbsup_anim:

It's true though, you are right. They said you should never judge a book by its cover. Never has this been more true than with retro classics.

shaun, im surprised you didn't just split the body from the floor, ........and redo all the floor and heater channels in one....

especially considering what your plans are with the car.

Unfortunately that wasn't even an option Mat.

If it had been, i'd have done it in a shot. Truth is, i just didnt have the space or the time to do it. The workshop that i had was just big enough to wheel the car in and out of. Shaun and myself had 2 other projects on the go at the same time which once finished would mean big payouts. Another Capuccino coloured bug (you can see it in one of the above pics) and a race inspired 70's custom bug - which was intended for the girlfriend.

Plus, it wasn't necessary to do the floor pans ans they were so new looking, they had to have been done recently.

DSCF0072.jpg

DSCF0071.jpg

DSCF0073.jpg

Now with the inner and outer sills sorted and all internal plates made and welded, its time to turn my attention to the external modifications.

Since i was doing all this, it seemed a good idea to change the way the car looks and performs.

First up, eradication of the rear vents.

2006_0102Image0001.jpg

2006_0102Image0002.jpg

DSCF0088.jpg

I cut out the vent section and welded in a flat plate. Originally i toyed with idea of having some scripting written into the metal work but this idea was soon scrapped, as i had decided to have a similar thing painted into the rear window instead.

nice strides by the way :P

It's true though, you are right. They said you should never judge a book by its cover. Never has this been more true than with retro classics.

are you talking about the car or the trousers :lol:

Oh my word.... Never did i think the image displayed could be born from such a can-O-worms... I truly salute you and your team for the diligence needed to complete such a project.

We can see the plus side of the cars evolution (beautiful) but can you describe the negative side? At what point did you look at the rust bucket and think "oh my" what have i got here! And what drove you to attack the obvious "hard days and Sundays" to evolve this car?

Oh my word.... Never did i think the image displayed could be born from such a can-O-worms... I truly salute you and your team for the diligence needed to complete such a project.

We can see the plus side of the cars evolution (beautiful) but can you describe the negative side? At what point did you look at the rust bucket and think "oh my" what have i got here! And what drove you to attack the obvious "hard days and Sundays" to evolve this car?

Thanks Tony.

To describe a negative side is easy - it's nothing more than pure frustration. I picked the car because of its 'apparent' solidness. It had 1 or 2 little surface bubbles coming through which never really got any worse over the course of time i had it on the road. Then as if by magic, you delve just a few mm under the surface and all hell breaks loose.

When i originally went to look at the car i gave it a full look over. I knew all the right places to look and was even aware of some of the tricks that body shops can do to make a bad job look better (in one instance, on another car we found metal filings in the filler so a magnet would stick!) but nothing went un-inspected.

Despite the obvious drawbacks, at no point did i ever consider calling it quits. Every time something new was found i simply took a step back and thought about how best to attack it. Besides, stopping the work wasn't an option.

I paid several thousands for the car and to stop and sell it in its current state wouldn't have yielded more than a few hundred quid.

My two main weapons in the restoration are ignorance and the missus. If i really sat down and thought about what i've achieved versus costs involved versus time scale, i'd probably have some sort of an attack! Plus, the missus is the one who puts a cold foot square in the middle of my back every morning and proceeds to launch me into action.

As Roy Castle once said 'dedications what you need'

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
OK.

I'll kick it off at the weekend then. A quick teaser for you then - heres what she looked like as a show car 18 months ago.

type11965greenandwhite001.jpg

The cars show name was 'Appletease'

ive allway's liked the bug dunno why but just do.just not a fan of driving them tbh.i had to drive a left hocker before and it was so wrong lol but drove it the 100 mile's and by the time i got there i thought it was pretty cool B)

that 1 look's very nice indeed :o

• 3 weeks later...
i've got plenty more to write but not the time recently.

hopefully, i'll have a chance to update this blog after JAE.

:D

We will be waiting :rolleyes:

I'm going to do some more this weekend...

And which weekend would this be young man :D

has anyone ever told you that patience is a virtue? i'm currently in the middle of a 13 day week do i can say with absolute confidence - it wont be this week!

i've got plenty more to write but not the time recently.

hopefully, i'll have a chance to update this blog after JAE.

:D

We will be waiting :rolleyes:

I'm going to do some more this weekend...

And which weekend would this be young man :)

has anyone ever told you that patience is a virtue? i'm currently in the middle of a 13 day week do i can say with absolute confidence - it wont be this week!

Why! :( ............ Sorry Shaun, couldn't resist.. A 13 day week is a little severe isn't it...... Shall me and the boys pop in and nick the boss's whip :)