Well that's a great start to the new year!......

Tony

this is a growing problem.

more and more houses are being built. . with less and less space they are being pushed in to flood areas... or old land fill sites.

only locals know this info until something like this happens.. the building suppliers wont tell customers they are buying in a flood plane..

although local searches should be done prior to mortgage agreement, so it should be made obvious then

They are renting and on the first floor.... There was no indication the flat was on a flood plain which i'm struggling with this since my house sale there was very specific questions regarding flooding. Sad thing is all power to the site has been lost and the sewage has mixed with the flood water. At this moment she isn't sure how involved the flat is but my warning to her is if the wood flooring/ plaster has got wet then run because it's going to hurt in the future.

the sewage has mixed with the flood water.

that's normal.

How would plaster or floor be damaged if she is on the first floor ( you don't mean ground floor do you ), or do you mean the hallway or stairs up? |Do you know where her flat is in relation to the video? I guess they may need to park the car and pram at the top of the hill?

Even though they're renting I would not want to be living there after this, although they are on the 1st floor you still need to wade through flood water to get out of the estate. The weather this winter has definitely made me think about where I will move to if I ever do, especially near the coast.

Sorry, yes it's a two tier flat and she has the ground floor..... Obviously if the wood flooring is water damaged then it will buckle. By example i've stopped using my steam cleaner on my wood flooring for that very reason.

The flat is around the corner right in the middle of the flood you can see in the video. The only possible save is it's raised because it's on a bend and a slight incline but at this point access is denied due to the power/ sewage issues.

Looking at the paperwork it was not declared at a flood zone but it did say contents insurance would be available for tenants by the council if properties are in a flood zone.

They don't know yet because their not allowed to view the area? Looking at the vid i think the builders ignored the irrigation channels so hopefully this won't be a regular event..... Sad thing is it's their first home together and it's brand new, so what a wonderful start in life. 

this is a growing problem.

more and more houses are being built. . with less and less space they are being pushed in to flood areas... or old land fill sites.

Yep the continuing over-development is putting a massive strain on drainage.

Do they have a choice of moving somewhere else (is this private or local authority?)

Local authority/ association mix..... It's taken a year for her to get to the front of the queue and what with the baby i think other options are bleak..... Her stay in the hostel is just within limits, meaning she stays there for the minimal requirement due to others taking/ smoking drugs. The rest of the time she/ they stay with me but my house is sold so there's a time limit.