Using trolley jacks and axle stands on gravel

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's the bridges at the bottom of Whippendell Rod ;)

P & S Marine, postcode WD18 8SN

Ah, you mean the two bridges, I know. I didn't know there was a boat builder there, just moorings.

Scaffold boards would be the thing for me.

For the axle stands they should be fine but even with my low profile jack the space between the pad and underneath the car is less than the thickness of the scaffold board. It might be ok with the Civic as it's not lowered but then the board probably isn't wide enough for my jack. I think I will just end up buying a sheet TBH, got a few jobs to do on the cars before the weather gets nasty.

• 1 year later...

Very tempted to get this, in fact I probably will. It lifts 10cm higher than my current jack but between 3-5cm shorter than 2 others I'm looking at. I would still need to use a sheet of wood to stand it on or carry on using my scaffold boards but it'll be alot safer jacking the Accord with this.

WP_20150111_11_56_41_Pro.jpg

WP_20150111_11_57_45_Pro.jpg

Dont buy the one with the single wide roller 'foot' as i have heard these can be unstable

That's what I have now, the liftmaster one and over time I've not been impressed with it. Bolts coming loose, the front wheel doesn't even turn but it's fine for jacking from the sill or loading suspension. If I use it on the centre jacking points it's dodgy!!

I was waiting for my Uncle to get me a price from the Draper rep for their heavy duty one and it's around £90, same price as Costco when they did it.

The other option was from SGS but I think getting the Arcan from Costco will have the better warranty.

This was the other Arcan one Costco used to do. It was all alloy and had the gap in the middle, I knew it looked different. This new one seems better.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/151541756021?nav=SEARCH

Got one :D

Not used it on the car yet but the build quality between this and the liftmaster is night and day. I can carry the liftmaster with one hand from the bottom of the garden to the shed, the arcan I struggled with 2 hands.

Photos speak for themselves!

WP_20150115_16_17_38_Pro.jpg

WP_20150115_16_17_44_Pro.jpg

WP_20150115_16_17_54_Pro.jpg

WP_20150115_16_19_00_Pro.jpg

WP_20150115_16_19_10_Pro.jpg

Wow that's impressive and two hydraulic cylinders as well. Not sure I'd trust it at max height without additional support like axle stands but you's get one of the fat people on benefits under there :)

I would never work on the car without axle stands anyway, not at maximum height. For just changing wheels over then I'd jack from the sill so it would only need a couple of pumps.

The rear centre jacking point on the Accord is so high I don't think this new jack will get the wheels that far off the ground anyway. I'd still need a thick sheet of wood to sit it on or a block of wood on the saddle. With the Liftmaster I had it sat on a sheet of 18mm plywood, 2 planks of scaffold boards and a thick (2 or 3") piece of wood on top. At full height it just got the wheels off the ground but the jack starting to lean, hence why I got this one.

I have seen these plywood doors on ebay, which are 35mm so just putting the jack on this will get the rear off the ground no problem now. My only concern is they have a smooth surface, could that cause the jack to roll forward or would the weight of the car stop it? Another option is an old kitchen worksurface, which is also solid wood but again the surface is really smooth.

How much was the arcan thats an impressive jack!

If you scroll up or go to the previous page (depending on your settings) the photo is there with the price, £78 :) The Liftmaster cost £100 and then I paid another £25 for a new power pack when it packed up and started leaking after only 2 years! Both are made in China but obviously one is done on the cheap, the other isn't.

Would have thought putting it on wood would not be too safe as you suggest it may move. Would be better perhaps to put a block of wood on the jack or maybe construct something with a hole in it to go over the lift point of the jack so it doesn't move. There is a hell of a lift on that jack, try it first and see.

I've been using a sheet of plywood since I moved here so I'm not putting the jack straight on the gravel, especially as the driveway isn't very even and some of the concrete is actually breaking up underneath it. Also doesn't a trolley jack move forward as you lift the car so it needs to roll slightly as well, which it wouldn't do on gravel?

Rich...

The rear jack point on the accord is just past the bumper.. Looks like a tow point which it most certainly isnt. My jack easily lifts the whole rear of the car off the floor.

Infact i can almost put my axle stands at3/4 height when the jack is at full reach

• 1 month later...

I didn't take any photos the first time I used it cos it was chucking it down but took one today.

The plywood is 18mm thick, the jack is almost at maximum height and as you can see the wheels are only just off the ground. There is alot of travel in the suspension before they lift off the ground. This should be fine if I ever need to get underneath, it's pretty high but I'm going to try and find some railway sleepers I can sit it on instead (the thinner ones) so I don't have to jack it at maximum height. It was very sturdy though unlike my liftmaster, which couldn't take the weight of the car.

This is much better than using the plywood, 2 scaffold boards, the jack and then a block of wood to raise it up!!

WP_20150314_16_07_44_Pro.jpg

It rolls forward when you're jacking the car, which is what's supposed to happen but once it's high enough it's on axle stands. I keep the jack there for extra support, plus the wheels under the sills.

It's on the centre jacking point.

53312_7th_gen_accord_lift_points_9.jpg