Steve-O's MX5

Steve-O

Ok some data from saturdays tinkering.....

This is as the car was saturday morning, and then once we had added the modifications :

moreboost1.jpg

This is a before and after also - but is showing BHP and boost :

moreboost3.jpg

And finally - this one shows the car before the charger (blue) and stage 1 charger and then stage 2 modifications :

moreboost2.jpg

To summarise :

Car had 98bhp at the wheels and 90ish ftlbs torque prior to charging. Now it has 177bhp and 160ftlbs torque roughly. Thats about a 55% Bhp Increase, and and about 56% increase in torque at around 7psi. That might not sound much but i can tell you this is quite something to drive. Note the torque curve and what i get at around 2000rpm. And the crossover at about 5250rpm where the bhp comes into its own.

The car is at the stage where if i go any further its going to ruin the drive and lose the spirit of the car. So as far as i am concerned, although i might put some more time in the map to refine  it - i think thats my lot as far as engine tuning. I can safely say that i am very happy with the end result. I have 198BHP at the fly - I started off wanting 200 at the wheels which would have been about 230BHP at the fly - but i think this is just about right. Its scary enough to be fun but not so much as to ruin the ragability.

Next stop : Meister R's and Geo at WiM :D

• 2 weeks later...

Stunning numbers Steve..... Power to weight it's almost an aircraft rather than a car..... If i were you i would be absolutely cuffed to bits what with the new coat and power, well done, well done indeed.

Cheers Tone - I think its bang on now in terms of power to weight. I think the fact that i know any more will ruin the chuckability of the car has satisfied my previous need for more power. This is what it is now. Time to enjoy it. Although saying that i need to get these Meisters on as the other half is beginning to get upset with them sitting in the hallway haha. Will probably come over early in the new year now.

Since we are in winter - i have not been able to resist using the car to go through the whole bedding in process and sort various niggles and adjust the throttle bodies. So the car now has a lovely covering of grime from the roads. I was going to invade rich's thread but thought i would do him a favour and keep it in here.

I have a snow foam lance for my karcher which i'll hopefully be able to get out this weekend before work, but someone has been speaking to me about the virtues of ceramishield and ohter ceramic sealants. Hes basically saying that 2 nice coats of this will protect the car for a year and you can almost adopt a 'touchless' wash approach. Now i am not that OCD and dont mind actually washing my paint using the snow foam, then 2 bucket. Just wondering if this stuff really is the business and since i am about to give her a first wash - seems like an ideal time to apply something like this if it means reducing any chance of swirlage without getting too up tight about it?

What you you guys think?

Yes those sealants do last along time, I've not used them myself but they're very fussy with the application with the paint having to be a minimum temperature. Can you heat your garage up to apply something like this?

Gtechniq EXOv2 seems to be a popular choice but it's not cheap and very fussy - http://gtechniq.com/shop/3s-for-cars/exterior-coatings/exov2-ultra-durable-hybrid-coating/

I would go for C2v3, which gets awesome reviews and it's not as fussy to apply, much cheaper too - http://gtechniq.com/shop/3s-for-cars/exterior-coatings/c2v3-liquid-crystal/ I have V2 but not used it yet!

the garage is 2 mins away from the house so i would need a gas heater and even if i did there isnt a massive amount of room to work  especially with the door down. 

The Exo is one of the ones that this chap was recommending. Less hassle is definitely the order of the day. Sounds like i might need to wait until it gets warmer so i can do this out on the drive.

Will have to perhaps just use my normal washing process - now with a 2nd backet and grit guard though since the respray. Its not done me wrong all these years so a couple of these isnt going to turn my clearcoat to s***e :lol: I'm a big fan of greased lightning so will be using that after has been cleaned.

Its one of those things - i dont think i would cause any issues having it in there - just keeping the colours within a defined range - i bet there are a lot of names of colours out there that are called one thing on paper but are actually very different to what you think. They just want the colour that the naked eye sees.

• 1 month later...

New year time to crack on with the car - despite the rubbish weather!!

Visiting WiM on monday to get the Meister R coilovers fitted and get the car geo sorted :D Got a few littel side jobs that need sorting moving forward also :

- Sort a minor water leake from rear of hoot into boot. Suspect somethings cracked or not tight in te rain rail that was removed as part of the respray.

- Install new allow windscreen washer bottle - the current one is right by the tramsmission tunne where a lot of heat is now generated. Concerned the bottle will melt in summer :D

- New steering wheel. looking at getting something just ever so slightly smaller than the standard momo item i have right now.

- fit the mount kit for my new square front number plate. I think the undertray and mouth scoop needs to come out which might be a bastard...

Looking forward to seeing the difference in handling monday as i am sure my shocks have seen better days.

I'm expecting a night and day difference - these shocks have 100k on them and since day one i have become accustomed to how they behave and driving around them. Got the wim lowering springs on which probably have flattered the handling but the ride is far from ideal.

What i am looking for its a matching ride height - perhaps 10mm lower than before for aesthetic reasons and get the tyres tucked in a bit more, but real reason behind getting these is i want compliance. I want the car to ride better over uneven roads and imperfect surfaces. At this stage this is where i will see the biggest improvement in fast road performance. I have the power but its skittish and feels like i am gliding  - almost a lack of feel for the contact on the ground. I partly blame these yokos as well. They are s***e and doing my best to kill them so i can get something better on.

I suspect the coilovers will stay on maximum softness right up until i track her - in which case i will dial her in for max stiffness and adjust back from there over the day.

Whats the norm in running coilovers in anyway Tone - set them absolute soft for a few hundred miles?

No we would set the dampening to a known platform that allows you to get a feeling for them. Then once you have a feel it's up to you to decide the balance you want. A little tip is don't change the dampening front and rear in one hit, do it incrementally, a click or two at the front and if that doesn't work back it off and try the rear.

It takes a little while but over time you will establish the perfect balance.