Steve-O's MX5

Steve-O

I wont do anything other than use a recommendation. I've used so called 'club friendly' garages etc before and to be honest have been a pack of s**t. Now i like to hear 1st hand experiences.

If anyone can extract the maximum from my new kit it will be Nick.

• 3 weeks later...

ok a few pics :

Doesnt look like much is amiss here:

Untitled.jpg

Until you look closer:

Photo01-06-2013144706.jpg

Pop the bonnet on the old girl and all is revealed:

Photo01-06-2013144643.jpg

Photo01-06-2013144635.jpg

And finally the Dyno. It has to be said i was disappointed with the result - however there are some obvious things that can be done that will get me the elusive ponies. The green lines are the car as it was when it went in. Red are the new figures. BHP figures are at the wheel. I got a tad over 180BHP at the flywheel.

scan0001-Copy.jpg

The main issues for the figures being shorter than expected was the fact i lack an AIT sensor. I run a MAF sensor which is restrictive. The standard JR Air filter is restrictive and right by the exhaust manifold (despite the Track dog heat jacket i had installed). The exhaust may or may not be an issue but i will start with these two as easy fixes and work from there. The rest is in place so should get there at some stage.

The way it drives at the moment : Amazing. It basically feels like its missing a gear. In 5th it just surges at the slightest touch of the pedal. Its just plain silly off the line, the new diff locks perfectly and can leave a nice set of 11's down if the mood takes me. I just have to watch it now though as the torque is a lot higher. Skuzzle just said its entirely possible to light the rears in 3rd gear if its damp. The whine is really loud in a good way, and i actually scared one woman in a convertible today as i went past, i did actually 'buzz' a fellow mx5 drive on the m3 who had a passenger asleep who suddenly woke up as i bombed past  :lol: Also got a thumbs up from another car who i went past.

There is a random whistle at 80 leptons whilst cruising which requires a little tweak on the dual throttle bodies but otherwise very pleased with the installation. Skuzzles done a great job as expected.

I got a ropey iphone video but its an embarassment tbh - will get something better shortly.

Yeah it's a decent increase in bhp, however the parts that are on the car can deliver more, there is something that's restricting the boost.

That said 161bhp the wheels feels good. I've been told another car with similar spec without the possible restrictions i have has only has 16bhp more but runs 4psi extra boost! That might indicate my car is consuming what boost it is making very efficiently which is nice to know. Once the bottle necks been removed I should see a decent gain without any work (ecu might need a tweak).

He's pointed out the JR air filter (in the pic above you can see it sucks hot air from 3 of its faces from the exhaust manifold and has a nasty 180 tube that could be better). Also swapping from a MAF sensor to an AIT will reduce the restriction. It's a start point :)

Yeah been mulling it over and I'm not going to rush to get the extra - will give me something to look forward to. Oh forgot to say its toasted my bumper around the exhaust slightly so need to get a heat shield :lol:

Will have to pop over and take you for a spin soon :)

I'll agree with you there - its enough for me to enjoy for now. Going to bed it in on the drive down to Le mans in 3 weeks :)

I think i got some half decent video with my action camera driving into work today. I'll see if i can upload something later on. The whistle from the throttle body needs to go though - its going to irritate me. I've adjusted the 2nd throttle cable and tightened it a few turns in the hope the butterfly valve on the pre charger unit will sit at a slightly different angle that doesnt generate a whistle. At least thats what i think it is anyway :)