Steve-O's MX5

Steve-O

Looks like a tidy install and I don't think that hose is too bad TBH.

Bet your grin is a mile wide now driving that even if you haven't got it up to full power yet :D

Sounds great, and 60bhp increase is nothing to be sniffed at even if not quite what you were hoping for! That's got to be plenty fast to be getting on with :) Love the shot of the front with the intercooler showing B)

Just finished cutting back and waxing this. It's the first time I've ever painted a part for the car. Used rattle cans. Remains to be seen if it looks any good on the car but from here it looks not bad. Not perfect but not bad :)

null.jpg

The test will be when i offer it up to the car - silver is notorious for being difficult to match in. I was thinking of plastidipping it in matt gunmetal to contrast it and task away that problem but thats a last resort.

I had to look at ventilation though - although i got a heat jacket on the manifold which helps deirect the heat back down and out of the bottom of the car the fact is the engine bay is a lot hotter place these days. I may even look at a set of the TSI vents which replace the indicator units in the bumper and allow air into the engine bay. I'll see how this works out first.

Hopefully will see what its like tomorrow night.

possibly a 2nd smaller electric fan on the back of the rad perhaps. the water temp looks rock solid so far - i've noticed a definite increase in radiant heat though so initially just looking at ways to let that escape with a bit of airflow. I'd read the bottom of the windscreen might possibly draw hot air out so will do some reading on what others are doing to make use of that.

Although the temperature isnt causing any problems  - i am looking at reducing it where i can just to add some extra safety in for when i take her on the track.

• 2 weeks later...

Well what a bastard that was!

Took the car over to WiM and joe set about removing the rotten exhaust, and the studs snapped on the exhaust manifold > down pipe. So we both removed the supercharger to get at the manifold, and when the manifold was out it was decided it was toast.

Cue furious calling around for a new manifold same day - no such luck. Managed to source parts from Autolink for Tuesday am. Do hopefully barring no further issues joe will have the car done Tuesday. In work at 3am Tuesday so luckily I can get over and pick it up. Gonna have fun getting the charger aligned properly 1 day before lemans but what can you do. When it's done though I'd think another couple of ponies will be released.

Hats off to joe he's a legend and I owe him a number of beers for this!

Oh dear....... s**t happens but i do feel for the guys since i wasn't there, i can't really expand on that because i know the whole event would have been difficult....I have to agree with you that Joe can have a "will not be beaten" attitude sometimes and this is very much like Tony, this is a valuable asset to both wim and BB.

Can't fault anyone here as you say it could have gone without a hitch but we were unlucky with the 3 studs that mattered. And I agree with you both joe and Tony are stars. After the initial low of the realisation that the manifold had to come out there is light at the end of the tunnel and the act of reassembling is a hell of a lot easier than the roulette of cracking each manifold nut and praying they don't shear in the head!

She'll be booked in for some new suspension and geo shortly so hopefully that will validate the deviation from normal work for an 'in-need' WIM member ;)

Delicate times since this type on mod is so debilitating if things don't go to plan...... And they never do, do they! Well another stage over or at least under control so lets look forward and reflect back on snapped studs..... :smile_anim:

I've got a snapped exhaust stud to do on a mates car, not looking forward to it , I was watching Fast and Loud this week and it took the guy 5 or 6 hours and a good few attempts to get a siezed bolt out using the "Welding a nut over it technique"

well got half day booked tomorrow so i will be back over to make sure the old girl is back together properly - the charger is being put back on so its now basically a new install again so will probably need to fettle the angle/position of the charger in relation to the crank to try and stop the belt hopping a rib or two. usually when the charger belt hops about there is the risk the belt's v-grooves can be damaged so it will never sit as well as a brand new belt even when in alignment.

Luckily got a couple of spares so once its looking like we are in the ball park i can pop a new belt on and it should be good - based on my previous fun getting it aligned lol