Steve-O's MX5

Steve-O

OK then!

firstly - heres the picture of the new tool Tone - standard issue on the left new one on the right. Joe seemed to think it was ok :

IMAG0345.jpg

Coilovers fitted in what seemed to be moments - didnt realise it was that easy (when you have a ramp and the tools!). Sod doing it on the drive.

IMAG0354.jpg

Rears :

IMAG0353.jpg

IMAG0351.jpg

And how she sits now :

IMAG0358.jpg

I am in two minds if this is now too low. Aesthetically it looks great, but from a practicality point of view i can just about get over the speedhumps round my way but it catches ever so slightly. Going to roll with it for now and if necessary take it back and get it raised slightly.

I have to say though the ride quality/damping feel excellent and get better the faster you go. A unforeseen bonus is they seem to have cured a knock from what i thought was the steering rack that no-one was able to find. Looking forward to some warmer weather so i can properly lean on them and see how they perform.

Thinking about it is certainly a possibility. The sound was a weird hollow sound and it felt like it was related to the steering column. Outside of the steering rack the shocks were the only other thing to swap out now. The problem had been irritating me ever since i got her 4 years ago! Just glad the puzzle has been solved!

I'm very much on the fence with the ride height right now. I'm also getting on a bit and in two minds to live with it. That said though i did find the previous one ever so slightly too high. Dont get me wrong its going to corner like a rocket on the track now but if i can't go about my daily business without causing a tailback on each speedhump then its going to have to go upwards a touch! :)

Next piece of work for me unfortunately is to remove the supercharger and investigate what i think is a blowing exhaust manifold gasket. Been getting headaches in the cabin and can hear some fluttering on acceleration. The boost and extra EGT's must have loosened things up or blown a hole in the gasket :(

The guys know the 5 inside and out so it doesn't take them long to fit the coilovers...... I must tell them to slow down since we charge by the hour :whistle:

The height i like. Lower arms will be perpendicular which is not ideal though but that's ok providing your not getting bump steer?

Too early to tell tony - i have only driven the road back from chesham to Hemel. Felt good! I am concerned the ride height is not practical though. I am driving it into london friday to work, and there are a couple of speed humps in Hampstead that before the coilovers i had to respect - if i cant get over those then i'm going ot have to come back ASAP and get it jacked up a bit.

Joe mentioned we have 10mm of play or so before the alignment needs adjusting again... after that though if i need any adjustments i'll need to pay for ramp time i am guessing?