Getting rear screen re-sealed

Trying to sort this leak out in my boot and just been out to look after 2 days of heavy rain and it was drenched but the newspaper had soaked most of it up. I pulled back both side panels and they were dry apart from one small area on the O/S near the rear light but there is no sign of it actually running into the spare wheel well from this area. If it was still getting in from the boot seal then these panels should've been soaked with the amount of water that got in.

I removed the boot lid trim again and you can see in the photo where it is wet. Now I can only assume that part will get wet from water dripping onto it. Putting my hand inside the boot lid it was dry on the O/S around the Corolla and T Sport badges but on the N/S around the Toyota badge it was wet. It's not that cold today so it's definitely not damp, it's actually wet. The only way I can see this getting wet inside is from the screen and after having a good look at it I noticed that it's higher up on the N/S compared to the O/S which is lower down, the part inside the red ring on photo. So it looks like the screen may be abit skeewiff and possibly not forming a good seal on the N/S.

I'm thinking of maybe trying to get a small bead of tiger seal along this area but I can see me making a mess! I think that if I get someone to re-seal it they will probably so they won't be liable if the screen breaks when removing. I could do without any more expense on this car so just looking for a cheap fix to keep the water out. Any ideas?

boot_trim.jpg

boot.jpg

Can't remember if I've mentioned this before, but there was a common problem on the Lexus where the sunroof drains would get blocked and this would lead to water in the boot - not even sure if you have a sunroof but seeing as that's another Toyota car it could be something similar.

Again sorry if you've already tried this but have you tried using a hose to see if you can find where the water is coming in?

I'd be surprised if it is coming in there , water tracks all over the place and is often really hard to trace , rear lights are usually the culprit on many cars so if its an issue on the Corrolla I'd do them first as a matter of course

No sunroof on the Corolla so it's not that. Already used the hose and sealed up the areas it was coming in from, including the rear lights, they're bone dry.

It is getting into the boot from the boot lid as it's wet inside if you put your hand in it. The spoiler is bonded on so it's not that, can only be the screen itself now.

The glass is bonded onto the boot lid, there is a thin rubber seal that runs over the tops of the rear lights and the sides of the screen but that's it. There is no other way the water can get inside the boot lid unless it was the via the screen. It can't be the wiper arm or handle surround as it's dry around those areas yet wet above.

Tiger seal it is then...... Reads like it's going to get messy.

I really don't want to use that those cos of the mess and it still might not solve it. I'm try and tape the area first or maybe fill the gap with something and see what happens.

Do you have a sunroof ?

Nope.

Won't water soak through masking tape? I had thought of using electrical tape but I don't want to peel the clearcoat off on removal.

I always use masking tape to cover over new silicone in the bath and water's never got through it - surely if water could get through then paint (mostly water based) can soak through as well? This is all speculation though, I'm not 100% sure - and yes I'd be a little worried about using other tapes that might pull the paint off!

Good point. I have some low tack light blue tape I'll put on even though it'll look silly! From tomorrow the rain is suppose to be stopping though! :rolleyes: I'll try it the weekend with the hosepipe though as before it usually doesn't start getting into the boot unless it's raining heavy and alot. If it's light showery rain it can take a few days for it to get wet.

• 4 weeks later...

I checked the boot the other day after it rained heavy and I had forgotten to take the boot lid trim out, it was on top of the spare wheel how it is in the photo in the OP. The trim had filled up with water, which could only have got there by dripping down, which I'm sure is from the boot lid. I'm still not sure it's the screen though as there is a lip where the glass sits but I can't really see any gaps in it. The insurance won't pay for the rear screen so I would need to get it done meself but there is also the added risk of the glass breaking on removal.

I also noticed a leak on the roof lining below the rear washer jet, it is under the spoiler. I'm not sure if that's leaking washer fluid or it's rain getting into the seal. But this could be getting inside the chassis and running down the sides, which explains why the bottom of the side trims are sometimes wet.

What a headache this is giving me!! :rolleyes:

Read of a method to turn the heater on max and then feel around the outside to see if you can feel the air coming out - worth a shot if you haven't tried it already.

I don't think that'll work as the water is getting inside the chassis/boot lid and then dripping down but I'll give it ago.

I strapped a bowl in the boot and lined it with paper, which was soaked this morning after all the rain we've had but that proves it is dripping down from the boot lid. But the spare wheel well and left hand side of the boot was soaked as well. It looks like removing the trim panels has made it worse or the water is actually getting in quicker.

I'm gonna have to order some more tigerseal, strip the boot completely again and try to find how it's getting in. I know roughly what area it's getting in from but I can't see how, it's so annoying!