Getting rear screen re-sealed

One reason I got shot of the Mondeo was cos I couldn't stop the leak into the drivers footwell, that was even more annoying. I really though I wouldn't have this issue on my next car!!

I got my Brother to give me a trade in value for mine and it's £1,200! :( £800 less than I paid, plus all the money I've spent on it so I want to get some use out of it first.

I think tomorrow or the weekend when it stops raining I will strip the boot down to nothing and check everywhere now I'll be off work. I'm determined to find this leak.

Could this be progress...

I spent yesterday removing the boot handle and surround, cleaned it all up and sealed them in. I did notice a couple of dry water lines inside the boot lid from the handle but I wasn't convinced it was coming from there. I also sealed the washer jet grommet up and all the tubing is fine, I couldn't find any leaks from that.

I did notice that behind the trim on each side there is a circle thing stuck over a hole. Both of these had deformed and fallen off, not sure what their purpose is but it felt dry around those areas. Photos below of what I'm talking about.

roof_lining_01.jpg

roof_lining_02.jpg

roof_lining_03.jpg

It is currently p**sing it down so I went outside and watched through the window to see what was happening. The boot and bowl were both soaked so what I did yesterday didn't help. But I could see where it was dripping in from roughly. Where the plug is for the heated rear screen, it was running down the wiring loom and then dripping onto the edge of the wheel well and the floor of the boot. So this explains why the bottom of the N/S trim is always wet but nothing higher up. I had noticed since I removed all of the boot trim it's been getting in quicker. So this was actually slowing it down and some of it was soaking it up until it could hold no more so starts filling the boot.

This is the side of the screen where I said the gap is bigger than the other side but I forgot to put some tape over it yesterday to see if it stops it! :rolleyes: It's suppose to be dry tomorrow so I will clean it up and seal on the outside and also the inside around that corner of the screen as it's currently wet.

If that doesn't work then I think it's getting in over the rubber seal in between where the boot lid closes against the chassis and running in that way. If it is then I would need a new seal but I've tigersealed this one in! Fingers crossed when I seal the corner of the screen that sorts it.

I also checked the headlining and there was a small damp patch from where it's drying out but it wasn't soaked like yesterday.

Well the roof lining is now bone dry since I've sealed it so that's sorted.

I sealed the screen on that corner and despite all of the rain we've had over the last few days it's stayed dry so I'm hoping (touching wood here!) I have sorted it. I'm keeping the boot stripped for the time being to keep an eye on it.