Problem with tyre or wheel?

bojcistv

Strange, I have never heard of that before on a Mondeo. When you changed them were the nuts holding the mount down tight or loose? They had a habit of coming loose when I had mine so I used some thread lock, which stopped it but I never really had any vibration problems.

Well workers all over the world are the same :)

Although I don't know if I should blame only them for making "Friday" car (or in France "Monday" car...)....engineers seeds lots of those mistakes into the car construction while they do "blue prints" for them...."It should be good since our calculations says that's is good..."

• 2 months later...

Hello to all. I haven't been here for awhile but my old trouble rose again. This morning some sort of my allegedly solved vibration came back. Clearly through the floor and seats which means as from rear end of the vehicle. Every thing is fine till 120 km/h and then up to 140 km/h. On increased speed again everything is smooth as silk. Drove back home yesterday afternoon and got out to see if i can see anything odd.

Grub the wheel on about 12 o'clock position with both hands and pushed it in and out (in fact what I did was the swinging the car left right with it)  and I clearly felt some play in the wheel and through the tyre. Like some knock. I checked steering by laying under the car with my wife's help (she did that in and out pushing the wheel) and i couldn't see is anything is moving. Clearly there is some knock like feeling which made me think if the bearing is in question. But oddly I don't here any sound connected with the bearing failure. So my question to this community would be: "Have anyone here experienced any bearing failure in manner I have just described without humming or grinding noise which is obvious bearing failure sign?"

Is it possible that bearing failure in any case could be connected in vibrations that occurs only in certain speed range (like unbalanced tires)? Shouldn't that be in all drive condition when your bearing is about to fail and not only like in described case?

Cheers and thanks in advance....

This evening I set on couple beers with my good fella, nice and experienced Ford's mechanic. Told him about my trouble. After an hour we got in his shop and after another half of hour searching for the play in left wheel we found that shock absorber piston has an lateral play! So that is producing that thud sound. Not always, but occasionally and mostly right after car is being driven. Shock as itself is in good condition and we couldn't see it is leaking or something. Just that lateral movement of the piston in its housing.

Can that play be the cause of vibrations? I think it can.....

Yes we did. On the right side rock solid. No play or anything suspicious. On the left side there is play in the shock piston you can sense by touch it.

Shock do its work well although on some constant little imperfections on the road (surface like tinny waves) some more noise occurs but nothing more. 

I bought Monroe. But I won't anymore...It seems that strange vibration I had noticed back in august 2012 were caused by bad shock definitively. I have managed to make them silenced by changing hydro bushings on the lower arm and top strut mountings but I didn't solve the cause of vibrations. In fact now when I know about that play in rear shock some loud sounds  I have noticed during the cold days make sense.