TyrePal

Tony

post-2-1277893933.png

How it works

Valve-cap sensors continuously measure the pressure and temperature of the tyres and transmit the information wirelessly to a monitor where it is displayed and updated within seconds of any change.

What it tells you

The system continuously displays the pressure of all the tyres. Temperature can be displayed by pressing a button. Alerts sound if a pressure falls below a pre-set level or if a tyre temperature rises above a set level. A leak or puncture triggers a repeating alarm.

I've wanted to get something like this for a while but was put off by the fact all the tyres would need to come off to fit the new valves on all the other types - this looks quite convenient as they just screw on the top. Only questions though:

1. How much are they?

2. How big are they, they look quite chunky?

3. Do the caps lock on or could they be easily stolen?

The monitor is 91 x 75 x 22mm with a clear LCD display. The sensors are 20mm long x 20mm diameter and weigh just 11 grams – the smallest and lightest of any system in the World. They must fit without protruding beyond the profile of your tyres. The valves lock so they can't be nicked..... Cost £195 :huh:

Just had a look at their site and I think it's a similar principle to those locking caps you can get where you tighten them up with a hex key. How much are replacements should the worst happen and they get nicked? My biggest concern is still actually the size of the tyre caps, being 2cm thick they might look a bit odd with these big black spots on your wheels.........

I'm really tempted, ideally yes you could just check your pressures but it's not something I do very often - have you got one of these yourself Tony or know anyone who's been using it?

No, it's all new to me but FYI we do use very small valves, half the size of the current industry standard short valve.

This invention is also great news for those who track the car because you can map the pressure and temperature gains.

how much is a decent tyre pressure gague anyway tony ?

been looking at getting a good one as i dont trust the local petrol station calibrations (if they have even seen a calibration tool!).. i have to take mine to a local friendly tyre fitting place who are very good.. but i feel a bit akward going in there every 2 weeks.

I use a digital one and it tells me that my pressure gauge on the airline is consistently reading 2-3 psi high, which I guess isn't too worrying. Wouldn't mind an on-board indication of tyre pressures on the ISF though as it would give real time warning of a problem that could otherwise have me off the road.

I was following a Jag on the motorway a couple of months ago and noticed the front nearside tyre was almost completely flat (only on the bottom though :huh: ). He was still doing over 80 mph and seemed oblivious to any problem so I pulled alongside and attracted his attention. After he slowed down a bit we opened windows and I shouted 'you got a flat'. Fair play he gave me a wave and pulled onto the hard shoulder immediately. I don't know what would have happened if the tyre had come off the rim, or when he eventually left the motorway on the slip road? Something like the TyrePal would have saved a situation like that.

'you got a flat'.

Could be misconstrued :angry2:

:whistle: Maybe that was why he pulled over so quickly. No, it was definitely a statement when I shouted at him, not a question. :o

for general use i dont think i would bother, cant see them lasting too long before they get someones attention

but for track use they would be invaluable, constant checks on pressure would help assess handling problems

however ...it aint cheap, :D

They lock on very well so theft is not an issue domestically.... For the track car they hold a wealth of information, the practice laps would show how the tyres contact patch and track temp is effecting pressure gains, this information over time will allow pressure/ temp mapping and as we know this traction manipulation = time.

I'm also working to gain a few examples of the TyrePal to be worked/ tested with active track cars, this could result in a few sets at cost or even maybe free depending on supportive decal?

They lock on very well so theft is not an issue domestically.... For the track car they hold a wealth of information, the practice laps would show how the tyres contact patch and track temp is effecting pressure gains, this information over time will allow pressure/ temp mapping and as we know this traction manipulation = time.

I'm also working to gain a few examples of the TyrePal to be worked/ tested with active track cars, this could result in a few sets at cost or even maybe free depending on supportive decal?

Wouldn't tyre temp be more important than pressure?

(I assume we are not worried about checking for slow leaks or flat tyres on the track.)

Increased air pressure would indicate heat in the tyre, tyre temp would show where the heat is and how the tyre is working?

No information could be gained from knowing that the air pressure has increased, or am I wrong?

h

Totally missed the point..... Data logging the track type, air temp then the pressure gains alongside the temp on ( each ) tyre opens huge benefits for future pre-race cold settings. A tracks "left/ right" turn ratio heats the tyres differently so in turn they will have different pressure gains so in turn again promote different handling characteristics ( under/ over steer ).

Over time this information would allow an advantage because the pressure stagger can be used to tune the grip limits and on track this is all that matters.

Ah!

Tyre temp affects tyre pressure then altering pneumatic performance of tyre (sidewall stiffness etc.)

Didn't follow the logical change of cause and effects!

h

Go to the extreme "F1" a 1psi pressure change on the day means you come last.

Let me know if you get one in, I don't need to test it out or anything but I'd like to put one of those on the wheels and see how it looks.

Let me know if you get one in, I don't need to test it out or anything but I'd like to put one of those on the wheels and see how it looks.

Will do..... Like i said i hope to get a free sample and i'll blog it here so everyone can see the results.

Will do..... Like i said i hope to get a free sample and i'll blog it here so everyone can see the results.

if you need a test head :thumbsup_anim:

I was at a track day at Llandow today

tyre pressures were set at 28 all round, after the first 15 minute session the left hand tyres were at 33 and the right hand at 30

by lowering the pressures accordingly whilst still hot, further sessions were recording 29 +/- 1 all round at the finish

so in theory unequal pressures were balanced, by unbalanced heating, and most of all grip was so much improved,

This is the sort of testing in the field i need. TyrePal are currently marketing the track fraternity but hope to emerge in the domestic arena. We are keen to test the data logging for cars like yours Bazza then witness the results.

As you know i don't have time to be a busy fool so my interest in this product has desires to pull my team/ track cars forward with an advantage.

if you need a test head :lol:

I was at a track day at Llandow today

tyre pressures were set at 28 all round, after the first 15 minute session the left hand tyres were at 33 and the right hand at 30

by lowering the pressures accordingly whilst still hot, further sessions were recording 29 +/- 1 all round at the finish

so in theory unequal pressures were balanced, by unbalanced heating, and most of all grip was so much improved,

Iteresting Bazza, have to check that out at the next track day.

h