Sudden accelleration

Tony

Reaction times would not have given the driver time to steer round the first car. Would have been pumping the brake, checking the handbrake, moving the gear stick and turning off the ignition.

stamped on accelerator instead of brake.... same as what those yanky's did a few years back in the toyotas .

drive a manual and problem solved :o

he did hit at around 125km/h though which is fairly quick :unsure: feel sorry for the people they hit though

If that was the case why not take their foot off the accelerator!

because he might have thought his foot was on the brake when it really was on the accelerator pedal.

at the start of the vid, the car crawls like any auto (lifted his foot off the brake), but almost straight away it starts accelerating hard (instead of pushing his foot on the brake, he has put his foot on the accelerator).

guy still thinks hes pushing hard to the floor with brake pedal, but its still the accelerator.

he's obviously panicing and trying to avoid other and wont think straight.

Dont forget driving tests in other country's are no where near as hard as here in the UK. (like the US etc).

It common sense though, if the car isn't slowing down with that pedal take your foot off it. 15 seconds is a long time when a car is travelling that fast to only be trying the one pedal.

It common sense though, if the car isn't slowing down with that pedal take your foot off it. 15 seconds is a long time when a car is travelling that fast to only be trying the one pedal.

its amazing how some peoples brains work though. but yes it is odd how it speeds up with no sign of holding back...

Im assuming for a moment that the driver wasnt at fault. The manouvre around the first car is quite panicked, If i were going round him i would have turned before moving, not start moving then turn, so to me it looks like the cars acceloration was unexpected whether it be the car or his fault. Ok so now hes moving unexpectedly and building speed, the next thing to try is brake, between 14 seconds and 20 seconds there is a clear stretch of road, i can understand being panicked before 14 seconds as there is traffic and hes surprised, but between 14 and 20 with a clear road i would think that the driver would be relieved enough to try the pedals again not keep the pedal flat on the floor, hence my belief the pedal was stuck rather than the driver still pressing it.

I wonder if we will ever actually know?

Didn't Toyota recall alot of cars with stuck accelerators?

yea, after tests they found it was the carpet moving under the drivers foot and wedging the accelerator. would not give quite such an extreme acceleration as seen here though

yea, after tests they found it was the carpet moving under the drivers foot and wedging the accelerator. would not give quite such an extreme acceleration as seen here though

Some Lexus and Toyota ( USA and UK ) had that problem early on but that was not the cause of the Toyota problems in the USA.

there were two causes for problems with Toyota,

one was the camray when fitted with all weather rubber mats could end with the mat preventing the accelorator from being released, this was back in 2007-2009 when they were recalled and after that there was the potential issue of sticking accelorator where the hinge mechanism might get caught.... this was resolved with a simple shim being installed from memory, but both were found after complaints from the public. However the causes for most of the incidents involving the Toyota "blame" boom were attributed to driver error, medical or environmental issues (ie, debre in the footwell) Still Toyota took a terrible rapp for it regardless of the big US car companies having more recalls than Toyota for those years!

I reckon they're sitting in traffic without the handbrake on and foot off all pedals, just sitting. See when the car starts to move it's very slow for a second, then shoots off under hard acceleration, I think the driver dabbed the brake pedal but hit the accelerator instead and when the car started to move floored the brake pedal to stop it, again hitting the accelerator.

Panic sets in and the brain tells the foot that it has to step on the brakes hard, but hasn't realised that the foot's on the wrong pedal. There's many stories over here of people driving into shops etc (all automatics and generally oldies driving), and it happened once at a local show I was at where a woman took off across the showfield in her car, went for a good couple of hundred yards, and stuffed the wall.

General excuse is "The car just took off and wouldn't stop, no matter how hard I pressed the brake."

So simple user error in this instance, except it was caught on camera.

I reckon they're sitting in traffic without the handbrake on and foot off all pedals, just sitting. See when the car starts to move it's very slow for a second, then shoots off under hard acceleration, I think the driver dabbed the brake pedal but hit the accelerator instead and when the car started to move floored the brake pedal to stop it, again hitting the accelerator.

Panic sets in and the brain tells the foot that it has to step on the brakes hard, but hasn't realised that the foot's on the wrong pedal. There's many stories over here of people driving into shops etc (all automatics and generally oldies driving), and it happened once at a local show I was at where a woman took off across the showfield in her car, went for a good couple of hundred yards, and stuffed the wall.

General excuse is "The car just took off and wouldn't stop, no matter how hard I pressed the brake."

So simple user error in this instance, except it was caught on camera.

exactly my thinking... loads of examples of this happening on youtube