Filling car up - Keeps clicking off.

I've had this happen a few times on different cars so it must be the pumps but why do some of them when you hold the nozzle down it keeps clicking off? Happened to me yesterday and I had to gently squeeze it and it took ages to fill. I tried removing it and moving it around but it was in the filler properly.

Normally it doesn't bother me as I just stick £10-£20 in but as I'm trying to work out my MPG from every tank I'm filling it everytime. So this obviously meant it wouldn't click off when it was full, I had to guess when to stop before it overfilled!

It's the first time it's happened since I've had the car but I'll try a different angle next time. This is only the 3rd time I've used Tesco Momentum though, normally I go to Shell, so maybe it's their pumps. I have noticed when I remove the cap there's a green rubber grommet on the entrance that only allows the nozzle to go in so far. I'm not sure if this is suppose to be there though but maybe that's causing the problem.

I find it varies depending on the speed/efficiency of the pump. When the flowrate is high the air in the tank cannot be expelled fast enough so the back pressure valve cuts of the flow. I find the pumps that have a slower delivery don't give me a problem, and the same if you do not pull in the handle all the way, but angling the nozzle to allow air to escape past the nozzle can help.

Re. vent pipes, usually there is a vent pipe linking from the top of the tank with a pipe that is just on the lower side of the filler cap pipe going into the filler line.That way any excess air pressure during fuelling vents out through the open filler cap - which must be open to permit fuelling !!

If you do not have such a vent you will get lots of fuel filling shut offs and blowbacks out of the filler neck. Some filler caps are vented and some tanks have vents to allow pressure to escape when the tank is sealed, but these are one way only i.e. allow air in but not allow fuel (or air) out, so do not help with the problem described.

As above, could be a Toyota thing as I've had the same problem with the Lexus in the past and from LOC it was a widely reported problem - having said that it hasn't bothered me for several years so whether pumps have changed since then I'm not really sure.

When it used to be an issue I found turning the pump 45-90 degrees as mentioned sorted it, or as Tango said pull the pump out slightly.

On the filler pipe usually just inside the cap , run a piece of welding wire or suchlike down it and check underneath the car thats its not damaged or corroded

Here is a pic of my old Evo one , you can see the vent pipe ir runs along side the main filler pipe

P1020079.jpg

P1020088.jpg

• 1 month later...