temporary/spacesaver tyres

Bazza

for a 215/60/17 tyre

what would be the suitable temporary tyre size ?

would a 125/70/16 be suitable as i have one of those spare

I dont like the idea of a can of squirty stuff, it will never fill up if there is a considerable hole and as far as i know they require the tyre to be repled after use

for a 215/60/17 tyre

I dont like the idea of a can of squirty stuff, it will never fill up if there is a considerable hole and as far as i know they require the tyre to be repled after use

I think you need to be careful on this, a friend had rear tyres changed on his Merc, they fitted slightly different sizes on the rear axle, diff thought there were problems with the rotational speed so the ECU went into limp mode.

Took him ages to work out what the problem was!

Don't know if Lexus has the same sort of thing.

h

for a 215/60/17 tyre

I think you need to be careful on this, a friend had rear tyres changed on his Merc, they fitted slightly different sizes on the rear axle, diff thought there were problems with the rotational speed so the ECU went into limp mode.

Took him ages to work out what the problem was!

Don't know if Lexus has the same sort of thing.

h

this is only for the spare in case of emergency, it limits driving speed to 50mph, but I believe its better than being stuck on the side of the road, especially if I have the trailer on the back

Its on a Mitsubishi ASX strangely in Europe they dont come with a spare, yet in other countries they get a space saver or in some a full sized spare !

Mitsubishi want £168 for a space saver !

seems to me another way of cutting costs, they throw all the attractive goodies in but leave a basic emergency item out

According to the tyre size calculator we have here in wim :lol: the percentage difference is 2.488% so within limits.

cool,

saves paying a fortune for another one and I can have piece of mind :o

Try and find out what size the Mitsubishi space saver is, if it's not far off then it should be fine as you have to stay under 50 anyway.

I'm sure the space savers we have in the merc and the mini are a few inches smaller in diameter than the standard wheels, so they aren't supposed to be the same size anyway.

Has anyone got that squirty stuff to work at all? The only time I used it was when the boot of my MGB roadster was so full of luggage, hood and sticks that I ditched the spare for a two tyre can of tyre foam. I also carried a scissor jack as unusually I'd read the instructions and you're supposed to jack the car up before injecting the foam. Sods law came into operation on the way home when I had a front tyre blow on the motorway. Jacked up the front corner, injected the foam, waited the requisite time for cure, and let down the jack, only to see the tyre still completely flat.

As luck would have it an AA patrolman had noticed me as he passed by on the opposite carriageway and had taken the next exit to come back to see if I required assistance. Bit embarrassing waiting for an hour with the MGB on a scissor jack while the AA patrolman took the wheel away for repair, especially as his first comment had been 'I've never known that foam stuff to work'.

So rather glad my Lex carries a space saver, even if it's bright yellow :lol: I think it's a bit strange that my IS-F has a different size spacesaver than my IS250 SE-L though, as I'm pretty sure the rolling diameter is similar. No doubt it's slightly larger to clear the Brembo calipers on the 'F'.

I use to use Goop for the m/bike but for that to work you have to fill the tyre before you get a puncture, i think it stays in liquid form so when the inevitable happens when the air is escaping it squeezes the goop through the puncture and seals it as it has particles of rubber so it will fill the hole.......good stuff about a tenner from most auto factors.

Is it 5 stud or 4 stud ??

The stock Evo tyre size is 225/45/17 so perhaps a Evo space saver would suit , many people just chuck them away

As for going into limp home mode thats common for 4wd cars

5 stud

the spare I have is from an Evo, was being chucked as the Evo was to become a track car

it is 4wd but can be switched to 2wd

• 3 months later...