Amazing 'crash landing' footage in Warsaw today

Tony

Why don't they land on grass when this happens :lol:

I'd have thought for a number of reasons:

Less chance of it digging in and stopping abruptly / more damagingly for plane and occupants?

Easier to get the rescue services to the plane?

Easier to eventually move it away on a dolly?

I would imagine that they would still have to close the airfield with a bent plane dumped on the grass as its bound to still be somewhere near an active runway and you know how some people will rubberneck and then have another stupid crash...

Finally, probably if you tried to land a modern plane on the grass next to a runway its satnav will throw a hissy fit and not allow it!!

it always impresses me when pilots are able to do this.

landing with 'gear' (wheels for you non plane people) down it tricky enough to make it smooth.

landing on a metal belly with no cushioning effect is a skill above the rest.

Well done pilot / co pilot for getting them down ;)

They circled the airport before landing to burn up fuel so I doubt there was much to cause it to blow up. There were some big old sparks coming off though!!

Correct me if i'm wrong because i'm not sure about aviation fuel, but you can throw a match in a tank of petrol and it will go out, throw a match in a empty tank of petrol and it will explode.

They circled the airport before landing to burn up fuel so I doubt there was much to cause it to blow up. There were some big old sparks coming off though!!

Correct me if i'm wrong because i'm not sure about aviation fuel, but you can throw a match in a tank of petrol and it will go out, throw a match in a empty tank of petrol and it will explode.

an empty tank is much more dangerous than a full tank due to the fumes...

they do say they circled the airport for an hour to try and get the gear down, but after many failed attempts, they dumped all the excess fuel and came in to land.

They run on diesel rather than petrol

I thought they ran on kerosene? aviation fuel is not diesel.

but its been a hard day and i could be very wrong!

Yep, you're correct. Very close to Kerosene anyway, with a few specific additives for antistatic and suchlike.