AutoSock video

Tony

• 1 month later...

My question is should I go for autosocks or chains?

according to:

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/car-snow-socks/autosock-faq.php

There are some plus and minuses:

Chains are well known and often specified for the Alps for example.

Chains are apparantly better in hill starts than socks.

You don't need special gloves to fit chains.

You're not supposed to use ABS (or traction control, ESP, ASR - wtf is ASR?) with chains?? (first I've heard of this - and what if you can't turn your ABS off?)

chains make lots of noise

(cheap) chains don't auto adjust

very unlikely to damage your car with socks

On balance the socks seem to be the better idea - they even last for some time and can be driven on tarmac (max 30mph) and are machine washable.

Any thoughts?

ttfn

chains HAVE TO BE removed when snow / ice is thin as it ruins the road.

socks can be left on for a short period of time.

TBH unless your doing mountain driving, socks are perfect for the weather in the uk.... or just a decent snow tyre. Blizzaks i have heard are very good

I thought about socks but don't think I can be bothered with putting them on and off, plus you can't drive with them on tarmac. Depending on tyre size 4 winter tyres are around £300 and should last 3 or 4 years depending on your mileage. I'm getting mine in a week or so and we already have them fitted to the missus car.

I thought about socks but don't think I can be bothered with putting them on and off, plus you can't drive with them on tarmac. Depending on tyre size 4 winter tyres are around £300 and should last 3 or 4 years depending on your mileage. I'm getting mine in a week or so and we already have them fitted to the missus car.

I think it's a case of swings and roundabouts - if I were expecting to do much driving in snow I would go for winter tyres, but practically speaking the only issues I tend to have is getting out of the driveway, onto the road and then the 300 yards to the 'main road' which tends to be far less of an issue - and the reverse when I get back home.

It seems that the socks are better than winter tyres, but obviously aren't intended for use on tarmac.

Chains are an option but noise, vibration and potential damage put me off - as well as they can't be used on tarmac either.

My issues are around where do I put 4 (or 5) tyres when I'm not using them, and that I would have to buy 4 (or 5) steel wheels as well as the tyres.

Other info for anyone interested..

From http://www.roofbox.co.uk/car-snow-socks/au...ck-product.php:

1. AutoSock has easily got the best general traction, uphill and downhill course holding and brake behavior.

2. AutoSock is only slightly behind snow chains when it comes to hill start traction and ground leel starts.

3. AutoSock is a great improvement over winter tyres in every area, except hill starts where it is a match.

TUV did a handy little chart:

AS001_06Z.jpg

ttfn

I only drive 5 miles to work but had problems getting out of my road last year, then I have 2 hills to tackle and then when they fail to grit the roads like they did once last year it took me 3 hours to get home!! With winter tyres I should hopefully be able to divert to the side roads, which should be empty and get home that way. I also drive to Essex alot and need to make sure I can get down there as my Mum is very ill. Plus I kept losing traction on wet roads alot, autosocks won't help here.

I have the same problem of storing the tyres but am trying to make space for them. I'm not buying additional rims yet, just swapping them over. So I might be able to store them on shelves as they'll be lighter.

im curious as to when that chart was made and what "winter tyres" they were using as that will have an impact on how the chart is to be percieved.

regardless of that, winter tyres arnt just for snow, but cold temperature driving where summer or all season tyres compound just isnt well suited. This surely is a plus for the winter tyre over socks, plus as soon as you remove the socks you are back on your summer or all season tyres again driving on cold tarmac and patchy ice which the winters are better able to deal with.

thats kind of my point, are they testing quality winter tyres or cheap and cheerful rubber, also are the tests from 10 years ago when the auto sock was first released or are the tests up to date testing modern winter rubber? The answers kind of dictate whether the graph is worth paying attention to.

if the answer is "tested 2011 using Dunlop winter sport m3 tyres" then i certainly would pay attention to it!

thats kind of my point, are they testing quality winter tyres or cheap and cheerful rubber, also are the tests from 10 years ago when the auto sock was first released or are the tests up to date testing modern winter rubber? The answers kind of dictate whether the graph is worth paying attention to.

if the answer is "tested 2011 using Dunlop winter sport m3 tyres" then i certainly would pay attention to it!

I found a TUV test report here:

www.az-pneu.cz/pics/snehove_retezy/files/TUV_report.pdf

Which was created in October 2001 - there is lots in there if you really want to go through it.

I suspect that it may be an early report since the autosock website talks about a long period of testing and improvement.

I'll see if I can find anything later.

ttfn

I read in the paper earlier that Halfords are stocking up on these as alot of people are buying them this year after getting caught out before.

I would say that they do lend themselves to being carried in the boot 'just in case', a get you home so to speak.

Winter tyres are a better bet for more regular driving - and of course you can always put socks on the winter tyres if necessary.

ttfn