Summer and Winter Tyres on the same rim?

Rich

I'm seriously considering getting winter tyres for the Civic now as they're predicting another bad winter (if they've got it right!). I've been looking for steel rims but had no luck so is it ok to get the tyres swapped on the same rim? The ones on there ATM will probably be near the limit but when it comes to fitting new tyres in the spring can I just store the winter tyres with rims?

I'm just wondering if taking them on and off will damage the tyres and should they be marked so they go back on the right corner that they've worn to?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

cough http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Civic-2006...=item4cfa3b94f0 cough

using interparcel or other courier would cost say £30 ish quid to send.

or just check down your local scrappy for honda steels.

just to let you know 2.0 petrol accords have 15" alloys on them and they are always being sold quite cheap

Cool, I think this is the way to go then but hopefully I'll find some steelies or cheap alloys.

Have you started getting winter tyres in yet and is there much difference in price between these and all season? The size will be 195/60/15 I think.

Wrong ones mate, I need them for a 2000-2005, 15" and 4 studs :unsure:

ohh thats even easier for you! i thought you had 5 studders.

13" wheels, would be very cheap for winter tyres ? - in oxford

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Civic-96-W...=item3a6a86af6c

Those are for the Gen 6 though, we have a Gen 7. This is where I'm not sure cos would 13" rims fit over the calipers on the front and rear? Can I put smaller rims on with it being an auto?

Been thinking about getting another set of rims but I think it will be better to just have the tyres for a couple of reasons. One being I won't need to tell the insurance I've put different size or type of wheels on. The other being I can store the tyres on a shelving rack in my cupboard or at least a couple of them. If they have rims on plus the weight of the air they will be alot heavier so will have to stay on the floor. If I do get another set of rims it will be the same ones as what comes on the car.

Ideal storage is to deflate, lay flat and at room temperature.

Interesting....so even deflate if they're on a rim, why?

Can they be laid flat but on top of each other?

What about storing tyres outside in a cold garage, how does this affect them?

Ideal storage is to deflate, lay flat and at room temperature.

Got my set hanging off the centres on the wall of the heated garage. Are you saying it would be preferable to deflate them? Totally or partially?post-62-1317133147.jpg

What about fitting 195/65/15 tyres instead of 195/60...would there be any issues apart from the speedo reading slightly too high? In this size they seem better priced and more available.

Will be fine given the conditions, frost, snow and ice. Most cars have to deviate from OEM fitment due to size/ availability, few manufactures make 30 profile winter tyres for a F430.