Here it is, the Honda Civic

Rich

I was wondering how it happens though as the brakes are all locked in so what causes them to rub when cornering?

I'll be cleaning the calipers when I change the discs and pads. Might change the rears as well cos they were done over 20k miles ago.

Cheers, hopefully it will serve her well and bring no (major) problems!

If it's the pads wouldn't it make the noise when braking as well though, rather than just steering?

I'll be over tomorrow for the geo check so will check then, bearings don't cost much do they? Although I'd obviously need to get you guys to fit it, don't think I have a press in the tool collection!! :wacko:

Ouch! Just looked on ECP and the cheapest is the same price but use a discount code and it's £60, which isn't too bad. I'll have to see how much the dealers are if it's that.

Thanks to Pete for checking the geo, it wasn't actually that far out, which was a pleasant surprise. It seems the noise when steering is the rack, it's also heavier steering one way than it is the other, which I hadn't actually realised. So if it gets any worse I'll have to source a recon rack.

Also Pete when you drove the car did you notice a noise when accelerating, this is also in a straight line? I drove the car home, first time since buying last week and noticed it but SWMBO said it's only been doing it for the last 2 days. It's like a rubbing kind of noise, possibly knocking and grinding, had to describe. If you didn't hear it I'll record it as she's worried about that now!

You really should have had a longer / better test drive and had the guarantee with it ;)

Maybe but I still don't have anything to compare it to, I've never driven a car with electric power steering before. It felt the same as the other one Iain and I test drove. TBH even after what Pete said it still feels ok to me, yes steering one side is slightly heavier than the other but overall it doesn't spoil the driving experience of the car. I guess on a long run that might change but we shall see. Another thing we have to get used to with electric power steering is it increases/decreases the sensitivity depending on the speed.

If it does get worse and needs replacing, from what I researched before buying one of these they're £200-£300 plus fitting. Fitting looks to be relatively straight forward...unplug the connectors, the steering column, TRE's and a few bolts for the rack. When the car is jacked up there seems to be quite abit room to work on them.

Just need to order new brakes all round, the front discs are heavily lipped and the rears have rust on the surface.