New one cylinder, two piston engine

Tony

Somebody designed an engine in the 70's that was the size of a cornflake box and had the power of a 1300cc engine. Somebody bought out the patent and it was never heard of again. Same will probably happen with this idea.

I worked for the English Electric Company when it was building the Napier Deltic, which was in turn based upon a Junkers aircraft engine from the 1930s.

There is little new in the world . . . . :(

Were you really ? I bet that was a pretty cool time for UK engineering. I reqally like tis little Napier animaton, showing the piston movements;

220px-Napier_deltic_animation_large.gif

Why is it that the engine hasn't really fundamentally changed from when it was first created? Is it simply because it is the best method, or is pursuing these innovative ideas just too expensive?
Pretty much anything that is innovative gets purchased by whoever has the most money to lose from its existence, eg oil companies.

Look the same...... or at least the same idea :(

Below are shown the internal parts of the PatOP engine (presented at PatOP , where you can find videos of the prototype running on Diesel fuel)

PatOP1.gif

with a basic module comprising one only cylinder and two only opposed pistons is better balanced than the two-opposed-cylinders four-opposed-pistons basic module of the OPOC engine of EcoMotors.

The PatOP engine provides some 20% additional time, as compared to the OPOC of EcoMotors, for more efficient injection, penetration, vaporization, and combustion of the fuel spray (at high revs the additional time enables higher peak power, at medium-low revs the additional time enables better efficiency and lower emissions).

The PatOP engine has constantly zero total force on the main bearings of the crankshaft (the connecting rods of the two opposed pistons remain constantly parallel, have normal size and are heavily loaded only in tension, i.e. they are pulling-rods).

The PatOP engine intergrades a “volumetricâ€, piston-type scavenging-pump that enables a flat torque curve in a wider rev range. The turbo-charging is an option.

The PatOP engine takes the thrust loads away from the hot cylinder walls and away from the ports, enabling far lower lubricant consumption and better lubrication, just like the giant cross-head Sulzer engines; because the PatOP is a cross-head engine, yet a short one (for 79.5mm bore and 64+64=128mm stroke, the PatOP is only 500mm long); the inner-exhaust piston skirt of the OPOC of EcoMotors cannot help thrusting heavily onto the hot cylinder wall, over the exhaust port openings, increasing lubricant consumption and decreasing piston / cylinder life.

It seems the PatOP and the OPOC are two quite different engines.

For the administrator:

While registering I was asked to answer to the question "5+5*2=?". Answering "15" I was not allowed to proceed. Try it on the calculator of windows, or on any programming language: the correct result depends on the priority set for the multiplication and the addition.

Thanks

Manousos Pattakos

Pretty much anything that is innovative gets purchased by whoever has the most money to lose from its existence, eg oil companies.

That's a good point unfortunately. My theory as to why it will take longer than it probably should to find an efficient way of extracting hydrogen.......or they'll find it and wait for the oil to run out.

For the administrator:

While registering I was asked to answer to the question "5+5*2=?". Answering "15" I was not allowed to proceed. Try it on the calculator of windows, or on any programming language: the correct result depends on the priority set for the multiplication and the addition.

That is a really interesting first post!

And this is the second person now to bring this up, perhaps it needs changing :D